Need to build a rig for 50k

AnkushT

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Athlon XP 3000+
Motherboard - Same socket 939 thingy
GPU - ATI 4850 HD
RAM - DDR1 2 GB (kingston, i think)
Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 2033
SMPS - CM Real Power Pro 460W

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - Samsung 2033
SMPS - CM Real Power

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
GPU
Cabinet

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Nope, 2015 will be the next year for upgrades ;)

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Bangalore/Delhi
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
nah

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Witcher 2, Civ 5

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1600x900
Desktop - 1600x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Don't have time to calibrate & test and do other stuff. want it to behave just like my PS3; Open Steam>Start game. no thingumajiggs to be done in the middle

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 (64 bit/32 bit)
=====================
i have some additional questions also:

1. i have just about no idea about RAM, timings & all this 1333/1667 stuff. can someone please point out a helpful link (or a brief overview)
2. Any difference between running 32/64 bit Windows 7? from what i've read (not extensively) is that older softwares 9games etc.) may not necessarily run in a 64 bit environment
3. what should be the split between CPU + Mobo + RAM & Video card?
4. the 7k odd for Windows 7 need not be taken into account here. i am gonna buy an OEM kit from amazon

thank you

^^

Core i5 2400 ~ 9500/- OR Core i5 2500 ~ 10500/-

ASUS P8H67-M PRO B3 ~ 7400/- [carries all the important features like USB 3.0 + SATA 3.0]

G.Skill TRIDENT 2 x 2GB 1600MHz CL-8 ~ 3000/-

AMD HD 6870 1GB ~ 12500/- OR GTX 560 Ti ~ 13500/- [buy this only if you can source a Corsair VX 550 OR Cooler Master Silent Pro M500]

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 2 x 500GB ~ 3400/- [a little more expensive than a single hard drive but induces RAID into the system, more on RAID -- RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]

NZXT Gamma ~ 2100/- + 2 x 120mm Cooler Master R4's ~ 600/- [the NZXT Gamma is the best value cabinet but doesn't come with a lot of fans so to improve its airflow I suggest you add two more]

APC BR-1000 VA-IN ~ 4400/- [Corsair SMPS have some issues with the APC UPS]

Corsair VX 550 OR Cooler Master Silent Pro M500 [second hand] -- ?????

Altec Lansing BXR 1221 ~ 1100/-

Hope this helps, as for your query of RAM Latency here is the explanation ~ SDRAM latency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia / Does RAM Latency Matter? | ExtremeTech / RAM Timing Explained - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net, it is indicated by the CL-8 / CL-9 / CL-7 tag present in all RAM packages serial number.

how about this one:

1. Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 $314.99

2. ASUS LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Supported Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2400 Motherboards P8Z68-V PRO $209.99

3. Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $69.99

Total 600 odd USD ~ 28k

I'll be in US next month for a couple of weeks...does that make sense?

yes it does help.

Buy things which have unoversal international support.

afaik,

intel, gskill, corsair do support international warranty.

YOu should think about aftersales service as well.

AnkushT said:
how about this one:

1. Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 $314.99

2. ASUS LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Supported Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2400 Motherboards P8Z68-V PRO $209.99

3. Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $69.99

Total 600 odd USD ~ 28k

I'll be in US next month for a couple of weeks...does that make sense?

The problem with sourcing components from the US is as pratikb pointed out -- warranty and after sales service issues, best is if you buy the products locally, yes you pay a higher price but atleast yuo get the full warranty and peace of mind.

1) Also as you've said you want your PC to behave like a console (primary purpose gaming) -- you've mentioned No over-clocking then why waste cash on getting a -k marked processor with an unlocked multiplier and not using it.

2) Secondly if you aren't interested in this thingamajig (over-clocking) as you have pointed no need to spend extra on a Z68 motherboard, be satisfied with a Core i5 2500 + H67 combo -- this goes easy on your pocket as well.

3) The Vengeance series of RAM has a RAS-CAS timing of CL-9 as I told will be on their serial numbers CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9, you'll be better of buying the G.Skill Trident 1600 MHz CL-8 2 x 2GB kit from SMC International, Delhi, than a Vengeance kit from the US. Here is the link [currently out of stock] -- G-SKILL[ Trident ] PC3-12800 / DDR3 1600 Mhz/cl-8-8-8-24 (2Gx2)

Since Intel shifted to the QPI set-up and integration of the memory controller onto the CPU die (taking a leaf out of AMD's HyperTransport set-up) the latency of RAM sticks has become rather important. Please go through the links I've provided in my post -- here I'll quote them --

ALPHA17 said:
The problem with sourcing components from the US is as pratikb pointed out -- warranty and after sales service issues, best is if you buy the products locally, yes you pay a higher price but atleast yuo get the full warranty and peace of mind.

1) Also as you've said you want your PC to behave like a console (primary purpose gaming) -- you've mentioned No over-clocking then why waste cash on getting a -k marked processor with an unlocked multiplier and not using it.

2) Secondly if you aren't interested in this thingamajig (over-clocking) as you have pointed no need to spend extra on a Z68 motherboard, be satisfied with a Core i5 2500 + H67 combo -- this goes easy on your pocket as well.

i was just looking at prices on amazon & this was under the frequently bought combo thingy. so listed them :)

the -K & Z68 that you pointed out is news to me ...err ;)

3) The Vengeance series of RAM has a RAS-CAS timing of CL-9 as I told will be on their serial numbers CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9, you'll be better of buying the G.Skill Trident 1600 MHz CL-8 2 x 2GB kit from SMC International, Delhi, than a Vengeance kit from the US. Here is the link [currently out of stock] -- G-SKILL[ Trident ] PC3-12800 / DDR3 1600 Mhz/cl-8-8-8-24 (2Gx2)

Since Intel shifted to the QPI set-up and integration of the memory controller onto the CPU die (taking a leaf out of AMD's HyperTransport set-up) the latency of RAM sticks has become rather important. Please go through the links I've provided in my post -- here I'll quote them --

thanks, just read those. definitely makes more sense now.

the whole thing is basically the price of a new phone, say S2/iPhone4 (unfortunate the way electronics are going these days), so i am not unduly worried on the warranty front. it's not as if all 3 things will fail at the same time :) as long as there'll be international warranty, i am ok with that. which leads me to the question of how does one go about finding if intl' warranty is available or not

AnkushT said:
which leads me to the question of how does one go about finding if intl' warranty is available or not

Here is the warranty policy of Corsair -- Warranty Info

Warranty policy of Intel --
Exclusions of Warranty: The Materials and Intel Web Sites are provided by Intel Corporation and/or its worldwide direct or indirect subsidiaries and affiliates ("Intel") as a service to its customers and are for informational purposes only. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT:

YOUR USE OF THE WEB SITES AND MATERIALS IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.

IN NO EVENT SHALL INTEL OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE WEB SITES OR MATERIALS, EVEN IF INTEL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS PROHIBIT THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Limitation of Liability: YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT INTEL AND ITS LICENSORS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR:

IN NO EVENT SHALL INTEL AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF ANY SOFTWARE, DOCUMENTS, PROVISION OF OR FAILURE TO PROVIDE SERVICES, OR INFORMATION AVAILABLE FROM THE WEB SITE.

ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE WHICH MAY BE INCURRED BY YOU, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OR DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF ANY RELIANCE PLACED BY YOU ON THE COMPLETENESS, ACCURACY OR EXISTENCE OF ANY CONTENT, OR ANY CHANGES INTEL MAY MAKE TO THE SERVICES, DOCUMENTS, WEB SITE, CONTENT OR FOR ANY PERMANENT OR TEMPORARY CESSATION IN THE PROVISION OF THE WEB SITE (OR ANY FEATURES WITHIN THE WEB SITES); OR IF APPLICABLE, YOUR FAILURE TO KEEP YOUR PASSWORD OR ACCOUNT DETAILS SECURE AND CONFIDENTIAL;

THESE LIMITATIONS ON INTEL'S LIABILITY SHALL APPLY WHETHER OR NOT INTEL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF OR SHOULD HAVE BEEN AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH LOSSES.

Indemnification: You agree to indemnify and hold Intel and its officers, agents, employees, partners and licensors harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of content you submit, post, transmit or otherwise make available through the Web Sites or Materials, your use of the Web Sites or Materials, your connection to the Web Sites or Materials, your violation of these Terms of Use or site specific Terms of Use, or your violation of any rights of another.

Accuracy and Completeness: Intel does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within the Web Sites or Materials.

Changes and Updates: Intel reserves the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, Web Sites or Materials (or any part thereof) with or without notice. Intel may make changes to Web Sites or Materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. Intel makes no commitment to update the Web Sites or Materials.

Forward Looking Statements: Some of the information on this Web Site may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or the future financial performance of Intel. Words such as "expects," "goals," "plans," "believes," "continues," "may," and variations of such words and similar expressions identify forward-looking statements. In addition, any statements that refer to or may imply future financial performance, our anticipated growth and trends in our businesses, and other characterizations of future events or circumstances are forward-looking statements. All such statements that are not historical facts are based on our current expectations and are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, and the actual events or results may differ materially. Please refer to the Intel's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, specifically, our most recent earnings release and our most recent Form 10-Q or Form 10-K for more information on the risk factors that could cause the actual results to differ materially from those contained in our forward-looking statements, including, among others, variable product demand; product introductions by the Intel's competitors; pricing pressures; and manufacturing issues, including product defects, errata, lower than anticipated manufacturing yields, and supply of components.

warranty policy for G.Sill products -- G.SKILL-RMA info.

Now you've to go through these, hope this helped.

ALPHA17 said:
AMD HD 6870 1GB ~ 12500/- OR GTX 560 Ti ~ 13500/- [buy this only if you can source a Corsair VX 550 OR Cooler Master Silent Pro M500]

i am getting a deal for a used Zotac GTX580 1.5 GB ~ 22000/- at TE (paraskhosla)

just wanted to check, that i wish to SLI two GTX 580 on my rig, what would be my PSU requirement?

also i'd need to SLI it with the same make & maker, right? i.e. Zotac GTX 580 will not SLI with a EVGA GTX 580

thanks for looking

^^ Why do you want to SLi two GTX 580's now, the power supply I'll recommend is minimum a Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000. Also you won't be able to use the SLi configuration to its fullest until you over-clock your CPU and RAM, then add a snappy SSD to the mix. A single GTX 580 will itself take a Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 to run it without any hiccups.

No you can make different brand cards into a SLi package, just that it won't be an optimum, so recommended is same brand and same type cards to be used. A Lucid Hydra supporting motherboard is an exception as you can do a Crossfire + SLi on same board between cards from AMD and nVidia.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Why do you want to SLi two GTX 580's now, the power supply I'll recommend is minimum a Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000. Also you won't be able to use the SLi configuration to its fullest until you over-clock your CPU and RAM, then add a snappy SSD to the mix. A single GTX 580 will itself take a Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 to run it without any hiccups.

Sorry, i wasn't clear earlier

i am not looking to SLI now. maybe 6-8 months later when GTX 580 hopefully drops down in price :)

So might as well pick up a i5 2500k, right?

and i cant find that damn CL8 RAM anywhere :( all i get is CL9's

^^ Then its upto you bruv, if you want to dabble in over-clocking, get the Core i5 2500k, and up your SMPS to a Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000, minimum to keep a head-space for adding the graphics card later.

Hope this helps and I'm not sounding rude.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Then its upto you bruv, if you want to dabble in over-clocking, get the Core i5 2500k, and up your SMPS to a Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000, minimum to keep a head-space for adding the graphics card later.

Hope this helps and I'm not sounding rude.

heck no :) thanks for the inputs

just wanted to know what options i have :)

^^ Look instead of doing this a better option would be to bag the HD 7*** series from AMD which is releasing this September -- October time-frame, nVidia will return with CUDA circa. March 2012 firing away with Kepler [both will be based on a smaller fabrication -- 28nm process and will come with much better thermals and energy consumption ceilings] so 6-8 months down the line I think getting those will be a wiser option than going SLi.

This is strictly my point of view. Hope this helps, Sire.

If you have budget for 2 cards I would suggest you get one and upgrade the monitor to something nice like 2410. K series overclocking adverts show old grannies overclocking it :p its not as complicated as before and really all you need to do is invest a day in tweaking and reading and you will come to a good setup that you can use like you would use a non overclocked machine. 2600K @ 4.5 ghz should last you till 2014 id say.

Zloyd said:
If you have budget for 2 cards I would suggest you get one and upgrade the monitor to something nice like 2410. K series overclocking adverts show old grannies overclocking it :p its not as complicated as before and really all you need to do is invest a day in tweaking and reading and you will come to a good setup that you can use like you would use a non overclocked machine. 2600K @ 4.5 ghz should last you till 2014 id say.

musst not look at.... i7 2600k..must ....resist ... ;)

thanks, i know my monitor sucks monkey balls, but the projected 2 card upgrade was 6 months down the line. if i keep spending time on TE, my budget is gonna double in no time :D

GTX580 is a very powerful card... You can be rest assured that it would even be able to handle those games that would launch after 6 months... So i would advice you to not to go with a multiple GPU solution... As GTX580 is capable of giving more that 60FPS in most games and human eyes really cant find a difference in a game running at 60FPS and a game running at 100FPS... So save your money and buy a single GTX580 only... AMD 28nm GPUs are soon gonna launch... They will launch in the 4th Quarter of this year... So it would be better if you wont invest money on multi GPU solution...

Back