Need to buy a DSLR camera

acXes

Disciple
Hi,

Planning to get a DSLR camera, any advise which one is good for beginners. Don't want to invest a lot on it as I am not a frequent traveler.

Get a Sony Nex5 or Nex3 (only major diff being movie shooting, 1080i vs 720p).

Looks like Point and Shoot, shoots like DSLR.

Inexpensive too.

22k for Nex5,18k for Nex3.

I got 3 options in the budget 1100D, 1000D and D3100. As per my research D3100 is the better option.

Sony Nex5 or Nex3 is out question as I need to try manual settings in camera (DSLR I am buying just fun) :)

Stick to Nikon in case you want a entry level DSLR.

No Sony DSLRs please. Have you ever heard anyone here buying a Sony DSLR?!

D3100 for absolute beginner..

the menus and settings are easy to use and understand.

canon is for experts who adjust various settings for their needs.

and remember canon is always cost higher than nikon.

go for nikon d3100 so you dont regret urself.

gREen said:
D3100 for absolute beginner..

the menus and settings are easy to use and understand.

canon is for experts who adjust various settings for their needs.

and remember canon is always cost higher than nikon.

go for nikon d3100 so you dont regret urself.

lol.. on what basis are you saying that canon is only for experts ? Anyways.. the D3100 is a sound choice. Go for it !

mjumrani said:
No Sony DSLRs please. Have you ever heard anyone here buying a Sony DSLR?!

That's a very retarded statement to make Mohit! :)

There are folks who have invested in entry level Sony DSLRs and pros who swear by their full-frame Sony DSLRs. Agreed that the market presently is flooded with DSLRs from Canon and Nikon but Sony and Pentax has carved a niche market. And there are several advantages offered by Sony and Pentax cams compared to Nikon and Canon. For instance, their respective bodies have image stabilisation built in and not on the lenses. And many older lenses from the Minolta cams can be used with Sony's DSLRs since Sony's alpha mount is based on Minolta's A mount and Sony acquired Konica-Minolta later but retained the same mounts thus users can rely on the second-hand market for cheap lens. The same goes for Pentax DSLRs as well. Pentax uses the K-mount system which was developed and evolved since the early '70s. Thus, a present day Pentax DSLR user can still rely on a 30 year old lens which was originally used on a Pentax SLR.

But from what I know, Sony's entry level DSLRs are priced a notch higher than those offered by the Canikon segment so most folks recommend those instead of Sony since budget is a concern.

PS: Feel free to correct me if I went wrong somewhere. :p

acXes said:
Sony Nex5 or Nex3 is out question as I need to try manual settings in camera (DSLR I am buying just fun) :)

You can get all the manual settings in Nex. Plus you can use almost any lens you like if you are manual inclined.

dhruvrock2000 said:
lol.. on what basis are you saying that canon is only for experts ? Anyways.. the D3100 is a sound choice. Go for it !
I didnt mean that canon is ONLY for experts.

I mean canon dslr's are more open to tweak and change various parameters compared to Nikon..

Correct me if im wrong 0:)

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

OP you have not stated your budget!

For beginner why dont you try the second hand route, If you could be lucky you could get a good cam. Its always a safer bet before you wade into the wide open sea. A lot of settings, and a jargon load of options to play with.

As for starters you could try your luck on Canon 350D, 400D, 450D. Try these cam to understand the basic usuage and what you could shoot with them. These cams too can get some of the best shots. Its not the cam that does all the talking.... its yous skill in capturing the right moment at the right time.

Not convinced still, you want to get something all new and shiny?

Get the Canon 1000D, Canon 1100D, else opt for the Nikon 3100D the fello TE'ians have suggested.

A good homework work be read a lot before you shop. See those youtube videos that tell s you more about your cam. How to's...... pretty much plenty of resource out there.

A good place to start is dpreview.com.

Good Luck Shopping!

Back