Storage Solutions Need to buy an SSD, should I go with Kingston V300 ?

hitesh12

Adept
So I want to buy a 240/250/256gb ssd and was wondering if V300 is a good choice or not. Almost everyone recommends Samsung EVO, but it is 2k+ costlier, which is a lot.

I am not an enthusiastic user but I have used a PC with an SSD and I really really loved it. I think V300 should be quite enough and would satisfy my needs. But still, wanna know if getting EVO is really worth it ?

If you are on a very low budget or need a secondary ssd then yes. Or if you are putting it in an old build that might conk off anytime. If not then get Samsung 850 evo. Worth the extra price. cause the speeds are almost double. And speed is just one metric. Another metric is Disk I/O. Which is just as important and v300 is pretty bad at that. The v300's best price was 3k on Snapdeal. The Evo goes for 4.6k often on sales. Worth the extra money anyday. (I have two of these in my PC / Hackintosh.)

Also going from hdd to v300 will be a big jump in any case.

Rather get BX100 from crucial.
It's probably 1 k cheaper than Samsung.

Crucials have best endurance ratings and performance is on par with V300

Buy the sandisk ssd plus - has 19nm sandisk-toshiba toggle nand and a marvell controller. Its easily the best of the elcheapo SSDs.

Kingston uses async nand and also has the horrible prone to failure sandforce controller. Best to stay away.

Buy the sandisk ssd plus - has 19nm sandisk-toshiba toggle nand and a marvell controller.
Is the controller confirmed? I couldn't find any info on it, and assumed they might be using the same Silicon Motion controller as in the BX100 and others.

Oh I forgot to mention, my motherboard doesn't have a SATA 3 port (oops :p)

Does this changes things a little bit in favour of Kingston ?

EDIT : Btw using Paytm wallet, I can buy Sandisk SSD Plus for 5.1k and Samsung EVO for 6.7k from ebay. Both look like very good deals

Last edited:

EDIT : Btw using Paytm wallet, I can buy Sandisk SSD Plus for 5.1k and Samsung EVO for 6.7k from ebay. Both look like very good deals

Caution:
Samsung India provides warranty only from these sellers-
Amazon (cloudtail)
Flipkart (ws retail)
ebay(primeabgb)
Primeabgb

Yep. Get the Kingston then. No point getting the EVO as speeds would be bottlenecked. Only the i/o part would be good. But also consider if you will every move this to a newer machine. I got a decent SSD for my laptop last year (Sandisk Pro) and after a year I let the laptop go and used it in a new one. Decision time.

@Party Monger

What do you think about Sandisk SSD Plus ?

Tbh I am not in the mood of buying kingston now, read a little too much bad things about it now. I'm thinking of going with Sandisk[DOUBLEPOST=1446287810][/DOUBLEPOST]
Caution:
Samsung India provides warranty only from these sellers-
Amazon (cloudtail)
Flipkart (ws retail)
ebay(primeabgb)
Primeabgb

Can you share the source ? I couldn't find it

Last edited:
Back