CPU/Mobo Need to buy CPU-MB.. Help needed.

sumit410

Disciple
I am going to upgrade my cpu and motherboard next week. Initially i was looking for core i3 540 cpu and gigabyte h55M ud2h motherboard. But after seeing the performance of i3 2100 i am a bit confused now. Price diff between these cpu is around 1k. Will it provide enough performace to justify the price difference? Also i have ati 4770 gpu.. Will my gpu will bottleneck my cpu? My budget is strictly 10k (+/- rs500). And if you are going to suggest i3 2100 then plz suggest a decent motherboard for it
My other components are:
1TB + 500GB HD
Transend 2gb DDR3 RAM
hp optical drive
Cooler Master 500watt extreme psu
Sappiire 4770 512mb gpu
LG 19" LCD (1440*900)

bottleneck problem is not an issue for this card but if you refer this budget for intel CPU + mobo then i think AMD easily beat up in that budget so in that case you can wait or should go for AMD configuration......
but if you really want Intel configuration..thn
Intel i3 2100 ~6k and
Intel DH67B @ ~5.8k

Maya2009 said:
bottleneck problem is not an issue for this card but if you refer this budget for intel CPU + mobo then i think AMD easily beat up in that budget so in that case you can wait or should go for AMD configuration......
Intel i3 2100 ~6k and
Gigabyte GA H55M UD2H ~3.7k......!!!
On weeds!!! i3 2100 SB CPU and H55 Mobo :|

Maya2009 said:
Intel i3 2100 ~6k and
Intel DH67B @ ~5.8k
Thanks for your reply.. My budget is strictly around 10.5 k. 6k+5.8k = 11.8k which is a bit out of my budget. Cant have I any motherboard around 5k for i3 2100.. And what amd configuration would u like to suggest.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

DarkAngel said:
Whats your current config? What is the main reason for an upgrade?
Thanks for ur reply..
I m currently using core2duo e6550 at 2.8ghz with abit ip35e..nd the reason behind upgrade is to have better performance in games..

sumit410 said:
Thanks for your reply.. My budget is strictly around 10.5 k. 6k+5.8k = 11.8k which is a bit out of my budget. Cant have I any motherboard around 5k for i3 2100.. And what amd configuration would u like to suggest.

Thanks for ur reply..

I m currently using core2duo e6550 at 2.8ghz with abit ip35e..nd the reason behind upgrade is to have better performance in games..
There wont be much of a performance upgrade in games with that CPU+Mobo upgrade. Its better to upgrade GPU.

But considering you just have a 19" monitor even your combo should be sufficient enough in most games IMHO!!!

IMO if you are upgrading wait for bulldozer and then upgrade.

Which game is unplayable or not smooth enough in moderate settings with your combo?

If gaming is the main objective of the upgrade,sell that 4770 and get a 5770.With the extra cash you could upgrade the monitor to a full HD 22 inch one.otherwise you can weight for AMD bulldozer series which is expected in june.

thanks for ur replies friends..the fact with me is that my brother is also buying a new system in 3or 4 days and his main purpose is surfing and movies. He is not in gaming. So i asked him to take my MB and Processor as this combination will be sufficient for his uses and he agreed. So in 3-4 days time I will be without MB and processor. So its urgent for me and i cant wait for that long. So plz suggest best combo available at this time around 10.5k.. Thanks

sumit410 said:
thanks for ur replies friends..the fact with me is that my brother is also buying a new system in 3or 4 days and his main purpose is surfing and movies. He is not in gaming. So i asked him to take my MB and Processor as this combination will be sufficient for his uses and he agreed. So in 3-4 days time I will be without MB and processor. So its urgent for me and i cant wait for that long. So plz suggest best combo available at this time around 10.5k.. Thanks
Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD AthlonII X4 640 4500

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H 4000

Best VFM IMHO

You will need to get DDR3 RAM either with this or Core i3.

So 2GB Corsair/Kingston DDR3 1333MHz ~ 1.1k

Processor Core i3-2100/3.1GHZ 6050

Motherboard Intel DH61WW 3650

This H61 is pathetic if you compare it to the build quaility, componets used and Features of the Gigabyte 880G.

DarkAngel said:
Processor AMD AthlonII X4 640 4500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H 4000

Best VFM IMHO

You will need to get DDR3 RAM either with this or Core i3.
So 2GB Corsair/Kingston DDR3 1333MHz ~ 1.1k

Processor Core i3-2100/3.1GHZ 6050
Motherboard Intel DH61WW 3650

This H61 is pathetic if you compare it to the build quaility, componets used and Features of the Gigabyte 880G.
Isnt that i3 540 better than athlon x4 640 in gaming performances..nd i already have corsair ddr3 1333mhz ram..

sumit410 said:
Isnt that i3 540 better than athlon x4 640 in gaming performances..nd i already have corsair ddr3 1333mhz ram..
With the midrange GPU you have it will be more of a GPU bottleneck. You wont see a great differnce in gaming with a AthlonII X4 640 and i3 540 with a HD4770 GPU. But AthlonII X4 is a quad and is much better for every other task.

ssengupta said:
Go for core i3 2100 with Gigabyte H61 boards. H61M-D2-B3 is available for 3625 and H61M-USB3-B3 for 4725 at Lynx. And avoid AMD. They may look attractive at purchasing time but you will have to pay more in every electricity bill.

Gigabyte H61 Chipset Intel Motherboard - Model H61M-D2-B3

Gigabyte H61 Chipset Intel Motherboard - Model H61M-USB3-B3
Yeah, right. The amount that he saves on CPU and Mobo can be used to compesate for the extra electicity bill for years to come :p

@ OP -> Check this out Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3? : Why Pay More?
Conclusion : Gamers: Do You Need More Than An Athlon II X3?

sumit410 said:
well, at full hd or at high gaming settings, nope. and newer games leave the i3 in the dust due to full use of 4 cores

comp@ddict said:
well, at full hd or at high gaming settings, nope. and newer games leave the i3 in the dust due to full use of 4 cores
I have gone through some review where i3-540 beats athlon x4 640 almost everytime in gaming. Price difference is only 500-600 bucks..also gigabyte h55M UD2H MB prices seems to have decreased now to around rs3600 smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=67&category_id=32&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77 and given the overclockin potential of i3 540 compared to i3-2100 it seems a good value for money combo. Decent board for i3-2100 is still a bit highly priced..nd i play games like COD series, Resident evil 5 and hot pursuit 2010..are these games multithreaded?

I have gone through some review where i3-540 beats athlon x4 640 almost everytime in gaming.

did u see the settings of the games?

beating it at 1024x728 ish resolution on low settings isn't really a win(legit reviews, sic)

Back