Need to get a website for small startup.

Hello guys,

Ive just mustered enough courage to try to lauch my own venture. Nothing big, only a small educational institue. :p

For this i will need to get a website to showcase some material, mentor profile, questions, contact details etc.
It needs to be a simple website for providing information to prospective students.

I dont know much about the whole process so please tell me how i should go about it.
I know i need 3 things:

1) Register a Domain Name
2) Buy a hosting plan
3) Get the actual site made in HTML or XML or whatever!

I think
1) costs around Rs 200 and easily available online godaddy, bigrock etc
2) costs around 2k+ and easily available online by hostgator, linuxhost etc.
3) dont have any idea how and where to get it done and how much this will cost.

any info on any point is much appreciated. Hope to get this done.

Any idea on how is google's indiagetonline service? i think it takes care of point 1 and 2 for free for the first year.
Do they have a decent template system where i can simply edit and copy paste my content onto the pages?

I dont want any headaches and am ready to spend 5k or so for the entire deal.
I dont need any web payment system so i guess the site is easy to make.

EDIT: WOW! Its post no. 101 for me. I hope this is a good omen.

Any idea on how is google's indiagetonline service? i think it takes care of point 1 and 2 for free for the first year.

Doesn't offer Mysql.
2) Buy a hosting plan
3) Get the actual site made in HTML or XML or whatever!
2.Buy locally from Hostdime.in. Never Go for hostgator India they will make you see stars in daylight.
3. Ask here

If you are serious about your business, dont go for free offerings, just buy the domain and host separately (i.e. use two different companies), get the site developed from a web developer and make sure you change the password of the domain and hosting after the website work is done .

If the site is just a few plain HTML pages i can get it done for you.

Thanks for the offer challapradyumna, will ask you if i need help.

Doesn't offer Mysql.

2.Buy locally from Hostdime.in. Never Go for hostgator India they will make you see stars in daylight.
3. Ask here

Thanks, will buy locally then. Hows godaddy.com and bigrock ?

@all,
thanks for your valuable suggestions and sorry for replying late. had gone out of station for a couple of weeks.

A friend is very into computers and he has offered to help me make the site. hopefully that part is taken care of, will see how things go and tell you if i need help there.

I have a problem, we thought of a name and the .in is not available. Another company is using it. the .com is not functional and i was told its registered by amazon.com!
The name is not related to amazon at all! why is amazon getting it registered and not even using it?
Can something be done about it? will amazon give up the site as its not being used? any other suggestions welcome.

Hello
You can go for Bigrock because they have good and 24hours support.
For your stuff you can use WordPress which is available in the hosting plan.
You can hire someone to setup WordPress one time and then you can do it your self because this is very dynamic no html coding required.
I hope this helps.
Regards
Sent from my GT-I8350 using Board Express

For web application, if you need PHP based solution then go for WordPress. If you need .net based solution then go for BlogEngine.net :)

Edit: BlogEngine.net does not require database. It can use XML files for data.

I have a problem, we thought of a name and the .in is not available. Another company is using it. the .com is not functional and i was told its registered by amazon.com!
The name is not related to amazon at all! why is amazon getting it registered and not even using it?
Can something be done about it? will amazon give up the site as its not being used? any other suggestions welcome.

Unless you own a trademark on the name, there is no way you can get other party to give a domain name. however, you can try to buy the domain from him but would cost you exorbitantly.

so, think of domain name as vehicle registration number. what's taken, can't be yours. So, just think of some other name which is available :p

^^ Bigrock is not really recommended ... there are several other Indian domain registrars which work better... Mitsu.in is one of the registrars that we use and outpowerhosting.com is another.

In addition the websites costs anywhere between 10K to 2L depending on the elements and design that you want. If you know how to code you can easily buy a template for about 3-5K and build the website yourself. Or if you want some professional to do it for you ... you can check with us as well.

Hello
You can hire someone to setup WordPress one time and then you can do it your self because this is very dynamic no html coding required.
I hope this helps.
thanks, will look into it.

For web application, if you need PHP based solution then go for WordPress. If you need .net based solution then go for BlogEngine.net :)

Edit: BlogEngine.net does not require database. It can use XML files for data.

Thanks, I know you're trying to help. But i have no idea of what you just said. I'll show this to my friend who's doing the coding though.

Unless you own a trademark on the name, there is no way you can get other party to give a domain name. however, you can try to buy the domain from him but would cost you exorbitantly.

so, think of domain name as vehicle registration number. what's taken, can't be yours. So, just think of some other name which is available :p
Thanks Gaurish, well put ;)

^^ Bigrock is not really recommended ... there are several other Indian domain registrars which work better... Mitsu.in is one of the registrars that we use and outpowerhosting.com is another.

Thanks, will check those out too.

Anyways the name was we had come up with was egghead. so was looking at egghead.in
What do you guys think about changing it a little like: egg-head.in or eggheads.in etc any suggestions.

I seriously do not recommend using "-" in site names. Generally people tend to lose them in their memory. eggheads.me is available, egghead.co.in is also available. There are lots of extensions

1) Bigrock is good for domains. i have my domain from the last 5-6 months and no problem whatsoever. they are owned by Directi (the registrar for indian domains)
2) Bigrock too provides hosting. I use whost.in however, Only for a month, but no downtime as of yet.
3) This is where you need to make the actual choice.
You need to think about the future too.
If you plan to keep it static pages forever then fine. Go ahead with a template/custom design and add the content
If looking for some basic blog like features then go for wordpress.
In the extreme case if you want to be very future proof then go with Drupal. can scale in any direction and sky is the limit with it. Talking from experience with Drupal. It has a learning curve but a basic installation + contrib theme will easy to setup for the time being. It gives you a awesome admin panel to customize look, feel and even most of the features by a simple UI.
If you decide for Drupal and need help then you can ask me. Would be glad to help you out. (My favorite TP is tinkering with Drupal)

You can ask me anything related to setting up websites in Wordpress I have 4 different niche based websites running on Hostgator <Let me know if you need help.

Regards,
Sid

1) Bigrock is good for domains. i have my domain from the last 5-6 months and no problem whatsoever. they are owned by Directi (the registrar for indian domains)
2) Bigrock too provides hosting. I use whost.in however, Only for a month, but no downtime as of yet.
3) This is where you need to make the actual choice.
You need to think about the future too.
If you plan to keep it static pages forever then fine. Go ahead with a template/custom design and add the content
If looking for some basic blog like features then go for wordpress.
In the extreme case if you want to be very future proof then go with Drupal. can scale in any direction and sky is the limit with it. Talking from experience with Drupal. It has a learning curve but a basic installation + contrib theme will easy to setup for the time being. It gives you a awesome admin panel to customize look, feel and even most of the features by a simple UI.
If you decide for Drupal and need help then you can ask me. Would be glad to help you out. (My favorite TP is tinkering with Drupal)
@techygeek

I need to host a Drupal site am looking for a cheap provider.
How's your experience with whost.in? Does the site run at decent speeds when you're logged in?
Your websites load fast enough when I accessed them. Do you have caching enabled, and are you using boost or any other modules to improve page load speeds? I'm asking cos I'm trying to get an idea of the speeds I can expect.
What's the php mem limit? Most hosts have it anywhere between 16-64mb. Drupal needs 64mb to run decently, and more if you add a lot of modules.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back