Audio Need to Refoam My Logitech Z5500D Surround for One Satellite. Plz Guide !

Techie#1

Skilled
My 5/6 year old Logitech z5500d is showing signs of aging... in one of the satellite speakers,the surround foam has broken off from the spkr mount at various places & the sound is getting distorted,scratchy or sounds broken at various frequencies,...particularly at higher volumes!

So,i think refoaming the satellite is the only solution.

But the Big problem is ,i have no previous experience of such job,...neither do i know where to get the replacement foam from?

watched a couple of yotube videos on sub refoaming,but that's it,...but honestly have no idea should i do the job or more appropriately can i DIY Or do i need to take it to a electronic repair shop?

Spoke to local logitech ppl(savex india)..they said they dont do repair jobs ,only replacements of products/speakers & that too within warranty period !...so basically,i'm left in the lurch, buying such a expensive p.c speaker system,...& desperately seeking service without any official help!

So, friends,can u help me out!

My 5/6 year old Logitech z5500d is showing signs of aging... in one of the satellite speakers,the surround foam has broken off from the spkr mount at various places & the sound is getting distorted,scratchy or sounds broken at various frequencies,...particularly at higher volumes!

So,i think refoaming the satellite is the only solution.

But the Big problem is ,i have no previous experience of such job,...neither do i know where to get the replacement foam from?

watched a couple of yotube videos on sub refoaming,but that's it,...but honestly have no idea should i do the job or more appropriately can i DIY Or do i need to take it to a electronic repair shop?

Spoke to local logitech ppl(savex india)..they said they dont do repair jobs ,only replacements of products/speakers & that too within warranty period !...so basically,i'm left in the lurch, buying such a expensive p.c speaker system,...& desperately seeking service without any official help!

So, friends,can u help me out!

Look as far as my memory goes the Z5500 used to have 3 inch drivers in their satellite speakers. Considering that one of them have torn surround foam, you can bring that satellite driver a get the entire speaker cone + spider replaced in local electronic market. At Chandi Chowk in Kolkata you can find many shops who do so. Just tell them the impedence of your driver, i believe they are 8 ohms and they will ask you to come the next day, charging at around Rs 50 to 100.

This is the simplest solution i can come up with. Mind you that these speaker units are custom made by OEM manufactures to Logitech specs to fit inside the the plastic satellite box so finding a exact same driver may be difficult.

Other solution is to buy a single chinese speaker box having 8 ohm impedence having a RCA input plug. This will do the job too.

------------------------------------

Finally if you have the cash in the region of 20K, it is time to upgrade. If in music, get the Norge 1000 GOLD stereo amplifier + Norge Millenium speakers and you will never go back and listen to your Z5500 for music.

Back