CPU/Mobo Need to setup a study machine which supports Vmware ESX Server

abintm

Recruit
Hi All,

I would like to setup a a machine that supports vmware esx server and it needs a system with scsi hdds. Since both scsi hdds and scsi adapters are highly expensive my search for a system that support vmware esx server ended up in finding one hope. Vmware ESX Server gets smoothly installed in a machine built on Asus P5M2/SAS (hxxp://in.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=352&l4=0&model=1422&modelmenu=2)with Intel Q6600 proccys ( This is the only work around that I was able to find out ). So I would like to know if it is a available in India. I tried contacting Asus Sales dept. but no response from them :(. So any help on this regard will be higgly appreciated.

thanks
Abin

Is this for personal use ? Why cant you use vmware images itself ? it runs smoothly with even 1 gb of ram . how many images you plan to run in parallel.?

BTW did u pay for the ESX server ?

hi nfsnfs

yeah its for personal use ......... only for studies and vmware offers esx server trial version for free ( only for 30days) ...

you can have more details on this at hxxp://www.vmweekly.com/articles/hardware_recommendations_to_build_cheap_esx_server/1/

thnx

abin

Why do you want esx server?

Cant you just use the generic server app? Im not sure what you exactly need esx, so these questions.

I use vmware server for web app development and also simulating some network envs. And its been more than enough for my needs. The comp I use is in my sig and havent had any problem.

What I would suggest is a C2D or better a Quad with lots of ram is all you need. I dont think you must have a scsi disk. My vms are stored in a 250gb sata hdd.

hi random,

need to study the esx server thats all and the course fee is more than 70k so i think its better to study by the help of the resources available in the net (there are lot of options which is not available with normal vmware server ) ...... so i need a machine that supports the esx server ..........

thnx for your suggestions

abin

google for using VMware ESX .. ( or any bare metal hypervisior ) for running in VMware Workstation ...

Requirements : Processor with INTEL VT-x/i or AMD V ( 1st or 2nd gen )

This wud serve ur purpose best ... bottlenecks adhere to ur integrated storage controllers ... to overcome use RAID 0 ( if ur I/O Controller supports )

Enjoy

Back