Need to spend 1000 bucks sensibly, advice please =D

Gautham

Disciple
Hey fellow TE members!
I have a 1000 rupees saved up and I want to get myself something new and shiny. I'm considering:

1. A decent gamepad. Primary considerations are:
  1. Xbox 360 wired controller for Windows
  2. Saitek Cyborg Rumble (with switchable analog and D-pad)
I know Xbox wired controller costs less than Rs.1000, but I don't even know if Saitek Cyborg is available in Hyderabad.
2. A good keyboard fit for decent gaming. Nothing too ambitious, but not the drabby generic keyboard, something special.
3. A good comfortable mouse. I've used a pretty neat mouse at a friend's place and realized how badly I'm treating my hands ;_; But the fact remains I'm quite used to my mouse, it's not bad.

These are my current considerations, but feel free to suggest anything.

Long ranty version:
Here's the deal. I'm kinda bored with my hardware. I'm bored of the 17 inch monitor, bored of the generic (and small) USB mouse, bored of the good but slow Logitech mouse, bored of the regular (but awesome) keyboard, and bored of the cheepo gamepad which worked flawlessly until I broke one of the analog sticks. I managed to scrape a 1000 bucks and I want to get myself something new and shiny :cool2:

I considered getting a decent mouse fit for gaming and one which is comfortable. Then I thought why not a new keyboard? You know, one of those with fancy backlighting, softkeys, media keys and all? But I had the broken gamepad for a while and I'm a gamepad kinda guy (Xpadder runs most of the time, I try to use a gamepad for almost everything, I played thorugh POP with Xpadder and a handicapped gamepad, that should speak for something). So what do you guys think? What should I get? I'm going to CTC at 3 or 4 PM tomorrow (7-1-2010). i'd appreciate your opinion :)

Wow, that's a breath of fresh air. Not some rich spoilt brat who's asking for suggestions on how to spend a few lakhs...

What kind of games do u play the most? If it's FPS then i'd suggest you buy a new mouse. (Logitech Mx-518). If it's driving and sports games then definitely get a gamepad, preferably the Xbox360 controller as it is compatible with almost all the newer games...

@saumilsingh: Got it mate, thanks :) I just googled Freespace 2 and HOLY S***! You weren't kidding!

@Fahrenheit: I'm not much into FPSes, but not sports either. I like games like Prototype, Prince of Persia, and some vehicle stuff (Burnout, NFS, MotoGP, HAWX). Basically, I like games playable with a gamepad ;)

So what about the Saitek Cyborg Rumble Pad? Reviews are good and I'm kind of impressed. Doesn't look anywhere near as polished as an Xbox controller, but still.

EDIT:

Wow, that's a breath of fresh air. Not some rich spoilt brat who's asking for suggestions on how to spend a few lakhs...

I wish I were one of those people for a change, for me it's always trying to squeeze things with whatever little I have. In due time... I will start earning and I'll have the most lavish and awesome gaming rig ever!!! ...childish dreams ._.'

Fahrenheit said:

Its also rather nice to see proper punctuation/grammar/formatting being put to use. :)

@OP
As suggested by others, get the X360 controller and you will be a happy camper ^^. It will shine in all of the games you've mentioned. (Prototype, Prince of Persia, Burnout, NFS, MotoGP, HAWX).
Also, your rig. is not bad by any means for the display/res. you game on right now.

Reasons for getting a gmaepad:
1) You play games that are meant to be played by a gamepad.
2) You wont get any decent mouse/keyboard in a 1000 bucks. Except maybe a Gigabyte mouse.....

The saitek gamepad is an all round winner because it can act as both an xbox 360 controller as well as a generic one(for older games)..... I am not sure how much it costs though...

Saitek Cyborg Gamepad Review Page 2 - Closer Look (Continued) - Overclockers Club

The only drawback is that you wont be able to use the left analog buttonn (the button that you havee to click with left analog stick) in the xbox configuration. Its only available in PS2 configuration.

@salluks: Ain't it an FPS? :p j/k, I'm looking forward to playing it, but no can do right now.

@Amien: Thanks mate :) I use a res of 1024x768 to 1280x1024, but I feel inadequate already. Need larger screen.

@baccilus, @vivek.krishnan: Wow, that's like a unanimous + for Xbox controller over multiple forums from multiple time ranges. Just wow.

@-=Unreal=-: I have a set of Phillips ear buds (which are OK) and a killer sound system, so I'll pass, thanks for the advice :)

@atiamd: That's the review I read :D I'll pass on the drawback. What I like is the FPS button. But what I like about Xbox 360 gamepad is the headphone jack. Does it work for regular ear phones?

@ashr: Thanks, but I think at this point I'm inclined to go for the Xbox 360 gamepad. Also, could you give me a model number? Just in case.

IMHO there is no specific model number for a Xbox 360. An for the sake of mentioning it, at the end of the day you would be better off if you go for an Xbox controller.

I meant model number for the Logitech keyboard ashr mentioned. And by the looks of it, I think Xbox 360 controller is perfect. Now, any chance I can get it in black? Or is it kinda rare around here?

Good choice............

And no, regular earphones dont work with it. Only devices like headsets certified by MS work on it....

option 1: invest in mutual fund... consider it spent... with time money will multiply and prices will slide. but dont forget to spend b4 u marry.

option 2: donate. blessings of ppl will get u a good job. buy urself a shiny gaming rig then.

lol!

Option 1: I'm not the patient type, far from it.

Option 2: I don't believe blessings carry anything more than good will, which I really appreciate btw.

Aaaanyway, I just returned from CTC and guess what, the lowest quote I could get is Rs.1150 (highest Rs.1800, can you frikkin' believe that? For the exact same thing!). Darn, short by Rs.190. And I can forget about that Saitek Rumble Pad, no darn way. Damn, I'm being disappointed in CTC time and again :(

And what's this fuss about the cheaper 1 year warranty pieces? Are those really legit?

Back