Less than 10K Need two phones for upto 7k each for parents.

AMG

Skilled
Okay. So my parents' anniversary is coming soon. And since my mom has started reporting problems on her
Galaxy S Duos S7562, I thought I'd present her a new phone. And then I think I'll gift the same to my dad too.
My dad is a first time smartphone user. Now I, being a student, the max I can afford to spend is 14K.

1. Budget?

A: 7k X 2 = 14K
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: ???
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A:
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Emails and whatsapp.
10. Any other requirements?
A: No phablets please. I wouldnt like to go over 4.7 inches. My threshold is 4.3-4.7 inches.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Moto E. Micromax Unite.

Moto E. In June I have bought same for my mom to replace her ageing Galaxy Ace. IMO, it has good stable firmware + promised Android L, along with no apparent problems as of now.

Android One - specifically the Micromax device, since I heard its good. This should be your first preference.

Redmi 1S running CM11.

Moto E as an after thought. But would not bother.

There is no lumia in 7k that is above 4 inches.

And as for the micromax, the user friendliness is a doubt, especially given the fact that the back and home keys are on screen like the nexus 5 rather than actual full time keys.

Also, does the Moto E use regular sim or the nano/micro/<insert fancy name here> sim>

There is no lumia in 7k that is above 4 inches.

Also, does the Moto E use regular sim or the nano/micro/<insert fancy name here> sim>
Lumia 530 indeed has a 4' screen. Also, for a beginner, a lumia would be a better bet.
Even Lumia 630 with 4.5' screen is selling for 8.1k at flipkart

Moto E uses micro sim.

Last edited:
Lumia 530 indeed has a 4' screen. Also, for a beginner, a lumia would be a better bet.
Even Lumia 830 with 4.5' screen is selling for 8.1k at flipkart

Moto E uses micro sim.
You can get the sim changed in literally 20 minutes. Currently Vodafone gives micro sims with adapters (fancy word for cut sims along with the rest of the body for use in normal slots) (You need documentation ofcourse)

Android One also would also be a good bet. Guaranteed updates for two years like nexus devices.
How reliable will the hardware be and how long will it take to fix in case of a problem. You don't fix it you go buy another.

Not for a primary phone, more like a backup.

moto e looks like the safest bet here.

How reliable will the hardware be and how long will it take to fix in case of a problem. You don't fix it you go buy another.

Not for a primary phone, more like a backup.

moto e looks like the safest bet here.

Not really. I know of two cases where there were issues with the E as well. They got a replacement from FK in 10 days - these were sorta DOA.

Back