Less than 10K Need two phones for upto 7k each for parents.

AMG

Skilled
Okay. So my parents' anniversary is coming soon. And since my mom has started reporting problems on her
Galaxy S Duos S7562, I thought I'd present her a new phone. And then I think I'll gift the same to my dad too.
My dad is a first time smartphone user. Now I, being a student, the max I can afford to spend is 14K.

1. Budget?

A: 7k X 2 = 14K
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: ???
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A:
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Emails and whatsapp.
10. Any other requirements?
A: No phablets please. I wouldnt like to go over 4.7 inches. My threshold is 4.3-4.7 inches.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Moto E. Micromax Unite.

A: No phablets please. I wouldnt like to go over 4.7 inches. My threshold is 4.3-4.7 inches.

Lumia 530 indeed has a 4' screen. Also, for a beginner, a lumia would be a better bet.
Even Lumia 630 with 4.5' screen is selling for 8.1k at flipkart

4.3-4.7

I have a moto e and Redmi 1s. Forget the hype the moto e is much better build wise . Redmi 1s is not up to the moto e in fit and finish . Also the miui is a hit or miss. Mostly miss in my case .

Moto E should really be great for parents. Even though others might offer better on paper specs, the build quality, the solid feel in hand cant be matched at that price.

(Had the device not been for your parents, I wouldve suggested redmi anyday. ;) )

Unless the Moto E has an awesome battery, it doesn't really offer anything over the Android One devices in the way of performance. I've been using one (Spice) as my daily driver for 3 weeks now and it's made me lazy to get my broken Moto X fixed because it does everything I need. It's fast as hell (for the price) - UI performance is smoother than a Moto G, often feeling more fluid than my 2013 Moto X in daily usage too. I have my personal theories on why this is the case, but that is irrelevant - it just feels very, very slick in regular usage. Seriously, I was shocked when I got my hands on it because I expected a Mediatek device to be terrible.

The screen is bigger than the Moto E's, which might be better for older folk if they have problematic eyesight. BTW, the Moto E also has onscreen buttons.

That being said, it's not as comfortable to hold as my Moto X. The Moto E also sits very nicely in hand.

Agreed, My spice uno is the smoothest device i have owned. Its even better than my Ipad mini Gen 1. The awkward moment when i realized that they are trying to optimize plus cramp so much Tech into mobiles that browsing/ general navigation on mobiles feels faster than on PC

Last edited:
Android One is underrated only because its from Indian manufacturers , I am sure Google may be involved in the quality control of the hardware since its a major project of theirs . People are too fancied about the specks rather than the real life performance.

Android One is underrated only because its from Indian manufacturers , I am sure Google may be involved in the quality control of the hardware since its a major project of theirs .

Undoubtedly. This is the first step towards their "next billion" goal so they wouldn't want something like Micromax's shitty (relatively) quality control hampering their efforts. The design of the device is a bit of a give away, borrowing a lot from the Nexus 5.

I think the people here are getting a bit carried away.

The android one may be the best phone aout there, but honestly do I need such specs? No.

What do I need: Ease of use. And good UI.[DOUBLEPOST=1414902929][/DOUBLEPOST]Also my mom is totally satisfied with the S duos that she has had for over a year except for the battery life, so that should kind of tell you guys how low the requirements are.

I was thinking of an Samsung Star Advance SM-G350EZWAINS. Because lets face it. Samsung has the easiest UI of all smartphones.

Last edited:
Android One has pure Android UI which is easier to use than Samsung touch wizz UI which is a memory hog , and in my experience Windows phone 8 UI is easier to use for basic functions . i dont know about the 520 or 630s battery life but 720 has very good battery life .

I think the people here are getting a bit carried away.

The android one may be the best phone aout there, but honestly do I need such specs? No.

What do I need: Ease of use. And good UI.[DOUBLEPOST=1414902929][/DOUBLEPOST]Also my mom is totally satisfied with the S duos that she has had for over a year except for the battery life, so that should kind of tell you guys how low the requirements are.

I was thinking of an Samsung Star Advance SM-G350EZWAINS. Because lets face it. Samsung has the easiest UI of all smartphones.

Stock Android is far easier to use than Touchwiz which is loaded with so many features that it could get overwhelming for a novice user. Even more so once Android Lollipop launches for Android One devices - They're redesigning the UI with heavy focus on user friendliness and visual clarity.

You said you were looking at the Moto E, which has the exact same UI as Android One devices so I don't quite get what your reservations are.

Ah, just that the battery backup is now not as good as it once was(still lasts a day = 24 hours), and sometimes it turns off by itself.

I initially wanted to gift both of them a laptop each, but the extra 25K i was supposed to get didnt materialize, so I have just these 14K to spend.

Ah, just that the battery backup is now not as good as it once was(still lasts a day = 24 hours), and sometimes it turns off by itself.
Did you try to replace the battery ? Samsung makes it user replaceable and easy.

A year or so on it will be weaker.

Turning off by itself means there is an app there draining power. You need to find the offending app. That is presuming there is no other issue.

if she is using both sims then battery life will be shorter still.

The thing is i don't see why your mum needs a new phone as yet.

s duos has a 1500mah battery, star advance has a 1800mah battery. if the screen on time is 3 hours for s duos you will get half hour more with star advance.

Last edited:
Did you try to replace the battery ? Samsung makes it user replaceable and easy.

A year or so on it will be weaker.

Turning off by itself means there is an app there draining power. You need to find the offending app. That is presuming there is no other issue.

if she is using both sims then battery life will be shorter still.

The thing is i don't see why your mum needs a new phone as yet.

s duos has a 1500mah battery, star advance has a 1800mah battery. if the screen on time is 3 hours for s duos you will get half hour more with star advance.

The thing is I completely agree with you.

But the thing also is that I dont find another substitute to gift.

Back