Need urgent help with MTNL Triband

raul

Adept
Hi Guys, A friend in Kandivili just got triband, so the engineer claimed he couldn't set up the wifi router and installed the Huawei 882 DSL modem in route mode so the internet is on as soon as you put on the modem. That's all good so far. She needed to set up a Buffalo wifi router and I was giving her phone support.

My idea was to put the modem in bridge modem and let the wifi router do the routing and dialing similar to how Airtel is connected in my house. So I guided her on how to put the dsl modem in bridge mode and restart it. Then to connect the dsl modem to the buffalo wifi router and set up the wifi router with her MTNL username and password.

The problem is now the thing doesn't authenticate. I got her to put the modem back in route mode and its still not working. Now MTNL support sucks and for 2 days they kept on telling us the server was down, I suspected the engineer might have used a different password and that's why its not working. owever she's informed me that she spoke to him on the phone and he's used the standard phone number and CA account number for password.

Now she's 'demanding' results from me to get her connection up. I know you can leave the DSL modem in route mode and connect it to one of the lan ports of the wifi router to get it working in a roundabout way but I feel putting the dsl modem in bridge mode and connecting it to the wan port of the wifi router is the best way to connect.

Any one here have any ideas on what could be wrong, the engineer is supposed to be coming tomorrow but he's been saying that for the last 2 days and in the mean time I am getting cursed for trying to help.

go to her house and set it up urself. would be much faster than wasting time on phone support. plus you would know what's going wrong at the right time.

Tell her to read the manual properly, maybe she is missing some step.

You can also try resetting the modem to factory settings.

FYI - MTNL was having lot of problems (no connectivity for extended time) yesterday - Wednesday. Not sure about Tuesday though. If that was the case, it comes as no surprise that she was not able to authenticate - no one was ! I spoke to 1504 and they said that they were having massive problems throughout suburbs - south mumbai was fine it seems.

I am going to be in Bbay Saturday, so will be able to do something, was just wondering if there is any particular setting I am missing when changing the huawei modem to bridge mode.

Anyway the MTNL engineer came today morning and set it up, she had asked him to set it up so she could dial from the desktop rather than the modem dialing out but he said he doesn't know how to do it, how dumb is that? What's so difficult with setting up pppoe on XP.

So its back to square one, this time I will try to set it up with the modem in router mode without changing settings on it and the I think connect it to the lan port of the wifi router. Anyone using MTNL with a wifi router, how are you connecting it?

Back