Netbook - advice needed

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new netbook for my parents. This would almost exclusively be used for web chatting(video conference) and for some movie viewing as well as word processing. I enquired locally about netbook rates and the lowest price that I have seen is for Acer emachine (Rs 14750/-). This machine does not come with any OS. My questions are

1. If I load my own OS (say Win XP SP3), would it be an overload on the system considering the atom processor and also because most netbooks come with Windows starter edition?
2. I saw that the video performance was pretty ordinary in netbook. The video that I saw was an HD one, but will the performance improve for non HD (even xvid) files?
3. Are there any other cheaper netbook options that you know? 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD is enough.

Will appreciate any help I can get on this.

P.S: I had asked a similar question in another open thread, but did not get any replies. Hence this new thread.

1. A netbook can run XP well enough. I have a Samsung N140 that I got 6 months ago which can pre-installed with XP Home, and it is running well.

2. Video performance of non-HD playback is fine. Don't even expect to play 720p or higher resolution movies.

3. I suppose older models might be available for around 14K, but that is as much lower you can get it.

Thanks dennis_nail. I will have to check whether I'd get older models. How much did you get your netbook for?

dennis_nail said:
1. A netbook can run XP well enough. I have a Samsung N140 that I got 6 months ago which can pre-installed with XP Home, and it is running well.
2. Video performance of non-HD playback is fine. Don't even expect to play 720p or higher resolution movies.
3. I suppose older models might be available for around 14K, but that is as much lower you can get it.

My netbook is running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I can playback 1080p video but that is because of the GMA500 chipset. Most netbooks can playback 720p video. SD video is no problem at all.

This is about as cheap as they go...

dhruvrock2000 said:
My netbook is running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I can playback 1080p video but that is because of the GMA500 chipset. Most netbooks can playback 720p video. SD video is no problem at all.

This is about as cheap as they go...

Whatz the model of your netbook???

After having used the netbook for some days, I am planning to get a netbook for my own use. This would be used as a travel laptop for browsing, some movie watching and word processing. I need a netbook with a bigger screen (12") with atleast 2 GB Ram and 250/320 GB harddisk. I checked out the MSI x340, but it looked very flimsy and plasticy and 13" seemed a big bit to carry around (though weight is very less). I am thinking about the ASUS 1201T after going through the forum. What do you guys think? Any other netbook with similar specs that I could look at? My budget is 23k max and netbook with ability to play atleast 720p movies is preferable.

Couple of questions as well.

1. Is the AMD processor better than intel atom? From the reviews it seems to be better by a bit, but would appreciate if somebody who has used this lappie could comment

2. I have not seen this model 1201T yet. Will it be a problem carrying it around compared to 10" ones which is nearly perfect as a travel mate..

Thanks for the replies in advance..

The netbook is at my parents place. Will have to take the pics of it next time I go there.. Will post the pics and a mini review from my end..

Netbook more then 10 inches loses its concept, msi x340 13inch is a big block something between a notebook and netbook, but no netbook.

Back