Netbook - Which OS?

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Hello folks :)

I was just wondering what the people having Netbooks here use as OS on it? I have an Asus Eee PC 1015PX netbook and run Windows 7 (32-bit) on it and sometimes I feel Win7 runs a tad sluggish on it. I'm pretty interested to know any other OS which will run better and smoother on it.

Regards,
Black_Hawk

^^Meego is a linux tailor made for netbooks. don't know about teamviewer but if they provide specific tarball or run files then yes it will run on meego

VNC Software For meego - Forum | MeeGo

from the post above it is possible, but from what I can see is they are either using suse/fedora spin of meego or meego runs on rpm, since I haven't used meego personally I cannot comment in package manager bu tyes it can be installed.

But there are many other clients available such as VNC etc

Note: Even though TeamViewer is packaged as a .deb or .rpm, it's not a native Linux application and it actually uses Wine (comes bundled with the TeamViewer package).

Well when I bought my dad a samsung netbook it had meego preinstalled. Its pretty much fine. But since he wanted MS Office i had to install Windows 7

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. :)

The thing is my netbook is connected to my main rig (also running Win7) through LAN and I regularly transfer data from the netbook to my main rig as the netbook is mainly used as a download hub. Now with Ubuntu will my netbook be able to connect via LAN seamlessly to my main rig running Win7? I'm asking this as I have never used Ubuntu before.

Also, has anyone tried this : Welcome to RT Se7en Lite - Slipstream Service Pack,Integrate Updates,Integrate Drivers,Integrate LP,Remove Components,Enable or Disable features,Unattended Setup,Apply Tweaks,Add Icons,Wallpapers,Themes,Bootable USB or DVD

Came across it a while back, wondering if it actually does make Win7 on netbooks run smoother and snappier?

i am having samsung netbook with 2gb ram and single core atom. Was using same xp compilation (disk image with all softwares i needed) which i had on desktop and hence it was running slow causing poor browsing exp. Streaming flash media as well gmail new interface used to be worse on it. I thought its netbook limitation, so thought of selling it off and get a better config/ laptop. But recently i have installed Tiny windows 7 on it with all the softwares i need and its running great. Lot of improvement. No need to sell it now. Youtube and gmail both work fine.

Hope it helps.

The thing is my netbook is connected to my main rig (also running Win7) through LAN and I regularly transfer data from the netbook to my main rig as the netbook is mainly used as a download hub. Now with Ubuntu will my netbook be able to connect via LAN seamlessly to my main rig running Win7? I'm asking this as I have never used Ubuntu before.
On Linux, SAMBA can be used to access shared folders on Windows machines, or even to create shared folders on Linux that can be accessed from Windows.

www.samba.org

I haven't used Ubuntu in a long time, so I don't know if it will default install SAMBA. Even if it does not, it should be easy to find SAMBA from the repositories.

I have a Toshiba NB305, and i run W7 Ultimate on it, and its rather sluggish :( and now that its turned 2 years, its become increasingly slow! I also have Ubuntu on it
But since this is my only system, i cannot do with just Ubuntu.

Have been rather tied up with other things and so couldn't get around to installing Ubuntu and testing it on the Netbook but now I have time! So, found this guide today about installing Ubuntu and having a dual boot on the Netbook:

Install Ubuntu Netbook Edition with Wubi Installer - How-To Geek

Planning to follow it and install Ubuntu and let Win7 remain for now as well. Can someone tell me if the guide pretty much encapsulates everything needed with the Ubuntu installation?

Souptik, I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit on a measly 2GB RAM for over a couple of years now. It used to be 1GB RAM before and it was sluggish. Disabled Aero and the other useless features and now the netbook has become a lot more faster and zippier!

You could try the Windows 8 Consumer Preview if you want to experiment and it should be faster than Windows 7 in terms of boot time.

Souptik, I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit on a measly 2GB RAM for over a couple of years now. It used to be 1GB RAM before and it was sluggish. Disabled Aero and the other useless features and now the netbook has become a lot more faster and zippier!

You could try the Windows 8 Consumer Preview if you want to experiment and it should be faster than Windows 7 in terms of boot time.

Gannu I have disabled Aero and running on Classic Windows theme, still opening windows, VLC Player all seem slow. Which other features should I be disabling as well mate? Maybe I'm thinking upgrading the memory might help me more here (it has 1GB currently).

If OP is fine with Linux, I would suggest trying out Crunchbang. I am using it on a 1000HE and have been pretty satisfied.AFAIK, Ubuntu is no longer working on the netbook version. Mint LXDE, Crunchbang or other netbook centric distros would be better.

Have been rather tied up with other things and so couldn't get around to installing Ubuntu and testing it on the Netbook but now I have time! So, found this guide today about installing Ubuntu and having a dual boot on the Netbook:

Install Ubuntu Netbook Edition with Wubi Installer - How-To Geek

Planning to follow it and install Ubuntu and let Win7 remain for now as well. Can someone tell me if the guide pretty much encapsulates everything needed with the Ubuntu installation?

The netbook editing has been scrapped , all you need is the new ISO and ubuntu will configure it for your needs.

Back