netgear n150 modem router giving slow speed with airtel 2Mbps plan

I bought a modem router from local vendor as it was emergency so buying online was not possible. I read mostly good reviews about this which is why I bought.
http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-dgn1000-wireless-n-150-router-modem/p/itmdffyscggszhwz?pid=RTRDFFYGZTHEAFYH&otracker=from-search&srno=t_3&query=n150 wireless router&ref=fd74adca-da3c-45f3-9de4-b91c8ce803d7

Since the day I changed to this router I have been complaining about slow browsing speed to airtel.
I have 2Mbps with FUP 70gb plan since last many yrs & have never ever used up to 70gb so slowing speed due to FUP is out of question.

This has been going on last 1 month, today finally airtel sent an engineer with another binatone wifi modem router to test clarifying that they have not reduced the speed & their testing shows that the dsl line is perfect.

Now this new mdem router gave me 2.20Mbps where as netgear gives me 1.35Mbp.
Airtel guy told me that this modem router may not be capable of more than 1.5mbps & the profile of the hardware doesn't match with airtel profile. He recommended me to buy a D-link router.

Is this router known to have slow speed & compatibility issue with airtel?
I think that the airtel guy may have not configured it correctly when I called him last month for new installation.[DOUBLEPOST=1382181607][/DOUBLEPOST]Update 1
Called up netgear support 1800 1024327
the support guy asked me to change MTU value from 1492 to 1300 and said that within 2 hrs it should solve the problem, don't know how & why but lets wait. As of now doing this my speed has further reduced to only 1.1Mbps.

Last edited:
Is ur net ADSL as well??...... am on MTNL Triband....... and hav been using Linksys WAG54G2 router since last 4yrs....... It perfectly gives 2Mbps on ADSL2+ modulation giving 210KBps DL speed....... this week I got a new router TPLINK TD-W8970....... my speed on ADSL2+ modulation came down to 1.3Mbps like urs with DL speed reaching only 140KBps.....
So I changed modulation in router to G.dmt...... immediately speed returned to 2Mbps with DL speed at 210KBps as usual.......
So u should try something like this as well.......

Keep us posted...... I hav another Thread running on this sub-forum.... W8970 DSL Modulation

Bang on target.
Mine was set on ADSL auto (multi mode) as soon as I set it manually to ADSL G.MDT it start showing me correct speed & test confirms that yes its now faster so no more video buffering which I was puzzled since I changed to this router.

Update 2
Meanwhile I contacted netgear support & feels like banging head with them, he now asked me to reset hardware by manually holding the button & then reconfigured settings yet it dint solve the problem. He then gave me a complaint ID no. & gave delhi service center address to get the router replaced. I called the service center they said the router is out of stock I will have to wait 15 days.

I just wonder why cant the companies engage right technical people with some technical brain who know things in & out.
Glad that your answer helped me out of this situation.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Back