Network related query

jai_hoo

Disciple
Hi Guys

Can you please help me to clarify/understand this network problem.

I have ftth connection (fiber optic) at home which provides RJ45 connector which I directly connect it to my PC. Recently I have bought Linksys WRT120N wifi router to provide internet access for my mobiles and laptop.

Now the problem is, whenever I use direct connection (i.e. FTTH RJ45 connector directly to my PC) I get better pings on european servers (in range of 125 to 150) but when I use the connection throught router I get ping in range of 200 to 250.

Is this a common issue ? or something wrong with the router?

And one more thing, is there way to make some kind of splitter so that I can use direct connection (with out router) to my PC whiile gaming and with router when I need wifi and not gaming.

Any one
<

The WRT120N is not exactly known for it's stellar performance. I'd suggest that you upgrade it to the latest firmware and then reset and reconfigure it. If there's still no improvement, you could play around with the MTU. Try reducing a bit, starting off at 1492 and then dropping 20 bytes till you find something that works for you. Avoid going below 1200 though. Too low an MTU will make things worse.

Back