Network setup for my office

hey guys.
i am going to set up a network for my 7-8 compas,
i would like to know what exactly i require to make it networked and the procedure of it. i am new to this networking but dont mind learning it. could u tell me what wil i need to buy first,second,etc. also the network should be easy as i will connect my printer (hp 1020) and will use internet only in 2 comps.
even what to know how can i block few comps from internet use and all,
please guys help

thanks in advance

I am not too knowledgeable about this, but lets see if I can help provide one solution. I don't know if there are any better/cheaper methonds, but this is what I use.

First, you will need a switch. Get a 16 port switch that can help you setup a LAN. To interface with your net connection you will need

1) A router

OR

2) A server.

If you already have a PC that you are not using (you won't need a monitor), you could install linux on it or a setup like m0n0wall (based on FreeBSD). The PC will connect to your net provider. And it will be hooked into your hub. (The PC will need two ethernet cards). You can easily set permissions on the server about who can access external net and who cannot.

If you would rather save some power and use a router, the router will connect to the net provider and will be hooked into you switch. Enable DHCP on the router and your systems will automatically pick up IPs and will all be connected to the network. I do not know how to setup a router to enable only one or two machines to have access to external network. You will have to wait for someone else to give inputs there.

I have m0n0wall setup in my office and it works fine for me. The PC doesn't have a HDD or a DVD drive. I boot and run off a USB Drive (256mb drive).

If you can get a WIFI router (Buffalo G54) + Switch. Your work will be done. You can flash buffalo with tomato through which you can block ips from accessing the internet. Have done it myself and hence know it.

Let me look into my GLB502T and see if above combo can be done without a wifi router but just with DSL modem(which is a router).

Other way is a dedicated computer which is going to be tediou and maintenance is going to be pain and u will need to keep it on all the time.

~LT

How are you going to connect to the internet, is the a adsl, cable net connection???

Get a pronet 8 ( or 16) port switch. 8 port - 750 rs. If you have 8 pcs, you will need 8 cat5e cables, length depends on your requirements. 10 rs per m.

Post most details abt your net connection first.

i will be useing mostly reliance broadnet or mtnl or youtele,i am confused which to select as its my office .
i am puting all cat 6 wires for all my comps as my electrican told that is the latest and it will be internal in the walls so the wires will be not seen too .any other recomendations would be more then appreciated.

Hmm how much is the distance between computers and expected bandwidth among them? If they are going to stick in adjacent room, then I would suggest:

1. Buy a high powered wireless router.

2. Buy wireless PCI/USB's for all the boxes. (That way no wiring required and u can move boxes as u would like to, hence less infrastructure cost).

3. Wireless router powered with tomato will take care of all the admin work, tune it and fix it, forget it.

4. However the question still remains, constant bandwidth among computers, if its occasional spike, then its ok, else if its constant then go for wired. The bandwidth I am talking about is 50Mbps > constant.

Let me know.

~LT

PS: Sucking parameter:

You Tele > Reliance > MTNL.

Basically they all suck, how about Tata Indicom? Not feasible eh?

kunalthesarkar said:
i am puting all cat 6 wires for all my comps as my electrican told that is the latest and it will be internal in the walls so the wires will be not seen too .any other recomendations would be more then appreciated.

Stick with cat5e cables.

Why dude?

The only reason you need cat6 cables is when the cable is going to go through areas where there is heavy electrical interference. Im pretty sure there no such areas in his office.

1m Cat5e = 10 Rs, 1m cat6 = 24 rs, cat6 will be very expensive for him

cat5e can also be used for gigabit speeds. So why would you go for cat6

i am thinking not for today but 10 years down the line for cat6 wore,
i dont kno the diff,but if you suggest i can go for cat 5 ,
i will try for tata indicom broadband,

Off:topic -
I have a wireless router + a hub with my airtel adsl connection
Now i need to port-forward a port in my connection. .
The gateway address of adsl modem is 192.168.1.1 ,the wirelss router : 192.168.0.1

Plz if anyone cud help
:)

(/ot)

Hey,
M sorry din have a look @ topic for a long time,forgot bout it actually . .so i have that 220bx modem for airtel :)
Hope this helps u solve the problem :D

Back