Networking a new home

vader

Disciple
Folks,

I am getting a new apartment setup and have the option of wiring the place for ethernet. It's a 3-bedroom place and I also have a small study. I want to be able to do the following:

1. Have the incoming phone line and cable terminate at a central place in the house, usually near the main power board.

2. Run CAT5e for voice and data from the central place to each room and the study.

3. Install wall plate that have both RJ45 and RJ11 ports in each of the rooms.

4. Install a small network patch board in the central location that will allow me to install a DSL/cable modem and a router.

Have any of you done this, or do you know of anyone who can help me with this effort? I am also looking for dealers and shops in Pune where I can go and talk about this.

Thanks

V

I could use WiFi and I do plan to do that also. There are two reasons why I also prefer good ol' wires:

1. The WiFi signal attenuates really fast -- the signal degrades just beyond two brick walls. Stuff like my VPN connection and Skype seem to be sensitive to this and drop often when I use them over WiFi.

2. I use a Linux box as a file server and would like to have that on a 100Mbps link.

V

Signal attenuation shouldn't be a problem within an apartment...

802.11g works perfect for VPN and Skype for me in a 3 BR apartment (Any corner)

The way I have setup my network with a similar set of requirements like yours is this:

DSL line and modem: Corner of my living room

Wireless router: next to the DSL modem.

1 ethernet cable (CAT5) runs from there to the Mac in my Bedroom

1 ethernet cable is hooked straight to the home server box positioned right next to the router/modem setup

The laptops in the house get their signal through 802.11 g

The WiFi signal attenuates really fast -- the signal degrades just beyond two brick walls.

As i said earlier, office VPN and voice chat work perfect over this network as even in the worst case scenario, i get a link over 5 mbps over my networrk which is a lot more fat than the thin internet pipe that I have (256/512)

Thus the bottlenet for your VPN and skype is the internet connection you have and not your internal network..

Perhaps the problem you faced can be attributed to a defective router or signal intereference from another 2.4 ghz device in your home (a 2.4 gig cordless phone maybe?) and that can easily be fixed by manual assigning a fixed interference free channel to your network

The internal network is fast enough to stream movies/music between devices, and if i need hi speed file transfers once in a while, i either connnect the machines through firewire, or plug the mobile devices wired into the router (Though mostly, i use the former method)

U can buy a WiFi router with Lan Ports. Set ur file server where u set ur Modem and Routers. Atmost u can leave one CAT 5 for ur download rig. But WiFi setup is the best solution within an apartment. Also as Czar said use 802.11 g since it is better over b.

Back