Networking job, less work ~ more pay ?

avi

Skilled
A friend of mine suggesting me to get into networking job. I am currently in BTech, CSE final year. My friend is working in a very good company, very famous one in networking. He said he can me refer & make my selection into company easier.

now, I had never thought of networking job. But it doesn't mean I am good at programming. So I don't have good experience / expertise in either of those. How do I find out which one is good for me ? [I know it shouldn't ask questions like this & do what my dil says. But it ain't saying anything]

Secondly, job profile. He said me NW job is very good & interesting, not at all hectic & very good pay [a lot more than compared to programming]. Also job is kinda like 9-6, no extra hours etc. Is it true ?

I have two choices now. The aptitude / interview will be may / june. If I screw up, then I can chose courses like CCNA etc, finish them & re-apply again.

I had created a thread regarding networking...check that out...

Even considering the facts I mentioned there...

I'm still interested in networking

Being a ece graduate...

And no interest for programming...

Embedded and networking are my only two options

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

#v.Na5h - Will check out the thread man, thank you !

#[member='vivek.krishnan'] - first one year will be tough, will be obviously hectic since I am a fresher. Later it will be very easy like butter smooth. That's what he said.

Also, if I opt for a networking job, after 3 years from today I will be earning lot more compared to that of programming [assuming I am an average programmer]

and if I complete those certifications like CCNA & etc, it will be lot more

now, I had never thought of networking job. But it doesn't mean I am good at programming. So I don't have good experience / expertise in either of those. How do I find out which one is good for me ? [I know it shouldn't ask questions like this & do what my dil says. But it ain't saying anything]

You need to find out your interest, thats the main thing. Does programming interests you ? Do you "feel" happy when you write long codes ?

If you are unsure about networking field, I would say join an institute for CCNA(right now, if you have time). So you would know what basically it is all about and whether you want to make a career in this field ?

Secondly, job profile. He said me NW job is very good & interesting, not at all hectic & very good pay [a lot more than compared to programming]. Also job is kinda like 9-6, no extra hours etc. Is it true ?

Networking job is interesting but that, again depends from person to person. If you ask me, I hate programming and I am totally into networking. I gave my CCNA exam 2 months back only.

I doubt the 9-6 job, because these days MNC's operate 24x7 so they would prefer an employee who is willing to work in night shifts also. Also, for the first 2-3 years, you would really need to work hard. When you gain experience is the time when things start getting according to your needs ! Also, if you get into this field, do not stop at CCNA, go for CCNP/CCIE because these certifications will actually get you good salaries.

PS: Mind sharing the company's name ?

You need to find out your interest, thats the main thing. Does programming interests you ? Do you "feel" happy when you write long codes ?

If you are unsure about networking field, I would say join an institute for CCNA(right now, if you have time). So you would know what basically it is all about and whether you want to make a career in this field ?

Yes ! working on a code certainly makes me happy
<
The pleasure of making code short/efficient & error - free is unmatched for me. However I ain't no great programmer. All I did is programs which were in curriculum. Never tried something new [which I regret now]. Though I have started over & trying to study everything from start [Algorithms, Data Structures etc].

Since I have no experience in either of those, I ain't sure at which I am good at. As you said, I will join some institute. Try both & I think it will help me figure out
<

Networking job is interesting but that, again depends from person to person. If you ask me, I hate programming and I am totally into networking. I gave my CCNA exam 2 months back only.

I doubt the 9-6 job, because these days MNC's operate 24x7 so they would prefer an employee who is willing to work in night shifts also. Also, for the first 2-3 years, you would really need to work hard. When you gain experience is the time when things start getting according to your needs ! Also, if you get into this field, do not stop at CCNA, go for CCNP/CCIE because these certifications will actually get you good salaries.

PS: Mind sharing the company's name ?

Thanks for sharing your experience. by 9-6 job I meant, jobs of fixed hours. No extra hours. I see these programmers working in Infy, TCS coming back to home in midnight.

My friend is in Cisco. Earns 9 lakhs / year now. 2009 BTech passout. He said me to study well Computer Networks subject, prepare well for aptitude & PI, then my job is almost fixed.

That's when all my dilemma between programmer vs network engineer started !

#[member='avi']

You need to change your attitude first you clearly seems to avoid hectic work and this wont help you move ahead on your life,You should be ready to be crushed for first 1.5 years,

Yes ! working on a code certainly makes me happy The pleasure of making code short/efficient & error - free is unmatched for me. However I ain't no great programmer. All I did is programs which were in curriculum. Never tried something new [which I regret now]. Though I have started over & trying to study everything from start [Algorithms, Data Structures etc].

Since I have no experience in either of those, I ain't sure at which I am good at. As you said, I will join some institute. Try both & I think it will help me figure out

Thanks for sharing your experience. by 9-6 job I meant, jobs of fixed hours. No extra hours. I see these programmers working in Infy, TCS coming back to home in midnight.

My friend is in Cisco. Earns 9 lakhs / year now. 2009 BTech passout. He said me to study well Computer Networks subject, prepare well for aptitude & PI, then my job is almost fixed.

That's when all my dilemma between programmer vs network engineer started !

There is no guarantee of a 9 to 6 job in IT. If it is so, its probably the most mundane job ever.

Please don't be under the impression that network engg planners have easy working hours. My friends were with infra teams in companies equivalent to Cisco, they used to bust their butts for 14-15 hours daily. You move up the ladder by taking more responsibility not shunning it.

#[member='avi']

You need to change your attitude first you clearly seems to avoid hectic work and this wont help you move ahead on your life,You should be ready to be crushed for first 1.5 years,

It will be a bane or a boon for him that's for sure :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

One of my friend said that it is impossible to clear CCIE without any actual experience...... Thoughts

Even if you clear it

Nobody would hire a fresher to handle the responsibility of the whole network

Sent from my ZTE Blade using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Politics is a very negative word to describe it. Not everybody moves up by politics and not everybody will move up based on just their tech skills. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Well in case of IT, politics matters ... Or a better way to describe it is being smart and diplomatic and knowing who to influence to avoid that one black hole project or to grab that golden onsite
<

TBH no one can say if the job is a rosy experience or if it will be a really bad one. Be it in any feild, programming or networking or system admin. If you don't wanna slog all of your life then you need to be smart and learn how to take responsibilities. Remember if you're not slogging that means you are taking responsibility for someone else's work. And trust me, 5 years into my job, I know that is not an easy job. Nubs make all kinds of mistakes and act innocent
indifferent14.gif

So decide accordingly. Since you are yet to start your career, I would suggest you to strongly follow your heart and not someone else's advice, unless the someone else is your elder brother, and would pick you up if at all you go down. At the end of the day its you who is gonna be doing the work, and what others do may or may not please you. So its all up to you as to what you would like to do. Also as someone rightly pointed out above 9-6 is a long shot in these days of MNC's. I don't work in a MNC and still some of our peeps work in a 24/7 shift. So that should kinda give you the idea.

A friend of mine suggesting me to get into networking job. I am currently in BTech, CSE final year. My friend is working in a very good company, very famous one in networking. He said he can me refer & make my selection into company easier.

I have two choices now. The aptitude / interview will be may / june. If I screw up, then I can chose courses like CCNA etc, finish them & re-apply again.

Just noticed, Cisco. Well is he a Network Administrator?

Networking programming profile like SSL/VPN/IPSec/Protocol Development etc is altogether different beast.

Not same as Network Administration.

And work is not hectic is a lie, work can be hectic even for QA guys.

Do what you love, not what some rookie suggests to you.

Guys I am too looking for a networking job. Have spent most of my 5 years in desktop and about 8 months on server monitoring. I have always been interested in networking. Did my CCNA in 2006. Unfortunately unable to find any networking job. ISP's are best place but difficult to get in due to my commerce background ( B.com )

Even after so much of exp i am ready to start as a fresher if given even a L1 profile provided its networking.

Its no easy life for ppl in network. I would say minimum work of atleast 10 hours and 6 days working and if there's outage you cannot leave home
<

Please let me know if any openings at your work places for freshers !
<

Back