Monitors New 24" monitor?

Need a 24" monitor for the following:

- viewing HD movies through Asus HD player (better viewing angles required)
- connecting a tata sky HD box
- mid range gaming (AOE, PES, FIFA, the odd FPS etc) at 720p is also fine.
- the ability to connect my PS2 (yeah, a PS2, not a PS3) would be super awesome and a big plus.

Did a bit of searching on TE and narrowed down to the Benq E2420HD (Rs. 13.9k at Lammy - 4 days ago) and Dell U2311H (not sure of the price).

The Dell U2311H seems a better choice due to the IPS panel over E2420, but the absence of an HDMI port is a serious con for me, based on my needs.

So my noobish questions:
i) Are there any better choices available as of now, since the threads I looked at seemed a bit old.
ii) These monitors would have to be powered externally, right? (Since the CPU cannot be turned on if im not going to use the PC)
iii) Should I be waiting for a better model?

Lemme know as I planning to use this nice mini vacation during Diwali to setup my mini home theatre. :)

The Dell U2311H costs 14.5k on average but for you the one suggested by Megamind is a better choice. Do check for backlight bleed and other factors before taking it home :)

Hi Megamind ;)

@Megamind - Wow, that seems like a superb monitor, as far as the review from Kitguru goes. Anyone using it here on TE?

I just realized that I would need a separate 2.1 speakers that I should be connecting to the monitor itself to get sound when I'm using the HD player/HD dth box, right? The E2420 has built in speakers, tho theyre pretty ok'ish...

anymore suggestions guys?

What's the best place to buy Asus PA238Q? I am from Kolkata and in the couple of stores I have enquired it is not available. So any online e-tailer will do, as long as the shipping fees aren't exorbitant. Wish SMC stocked this monitor.

It is a difficult monitor to find, since it is such a good one. Sells for 16k on average. A (forum) friend recently bought one.

Sarath_ said:
It is a difficult monitor to find, since it is such a good one. Sells for 16k on average. A (forum) friend recently bought one.

Seems so. Checked out a nearby HP store as well, and he said he had no clue about the Asus one, but could provide the E2420HD.

Have asked another store chap who sources his stuff from Lammy, so waiting for a quote from him.
6pack said:
if you connect via hdmi cable, sound will come through monitor speakers (if it has got them). Else, attach a rca male to 3.5mm female stereo cord from dth audio output and use a headphone or pc speakers to listen to the sound.

Something like this, but longer - 2 RCA Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female Audio Adapter Cable | eBay

You will find these for around 50-75 bucks at any electronics store for 1.5m length i think.

Ah, makes sense now. I guess I will have to keep connecting this cable to the device im using at that time (DTH, media player, pc etc). Another reason why I was actually considering the E2420HD, but since the Asus has gotten such rave reviews everywhere, will try to get that.

Back