New Apple Silicon M2 ?

Emrebel

Adept
Looks like Apple is already planning to bring newer chip into future Mac lineup..

Do you guys think they will upgrade MBA or will it be reserved for Pro lineup?

Going by what they have done for iPhones, I think they would put the same generation chip on all the machines. The differentiation would be in terms of RAM and cores. They may not do it immediately with the M2 (M1X) but should settle down into that rhythm from next year.

I just hope they don't price it exorbitantly high otherwise I will regret waiting for it and not settling in for an Air or MBP right now.

Going by what they have done for iPhones, I think they would put the same generation chip on all the machines. The differentiation would be in terms of RAM and cores. They may not do it immediately with the M2 (M1X) but should settle down into that rhythm from next year.

I just hope they don't price it exorbitantly high otherwise I will regret waiting for it and not settling in for an Air or MBP right now.
the Air keeps coming for 86Kish
The jump from the core-M to M1 is seriously huuuge and there is a zero, i repeat zero chance you are going to regret getting one from the current crop

the Air keeps coming for 86Kish
The jump from the core-M to M1 is seriously huuuge and there is a zero, i repeat zero chance you are going to regret getting one from the current crop
I have followed your responses on the M1 and I agree. The regret might be, why I didn't wait for a generational refresh. On the contrary if it sells at 165K then it would be why did I wait for this overpriced box. :meh:

I am slowed down by my current machine but not in desperate need, hence can afford to wait. As I mentioned elsewhere, the first thing that I will do on a new machine is play Civ 6 and Tropico 6. It has been a craving, brewing for years now. :wacky:

I have followed your responses on the M1 and I agree. The regret might be, why I didn't wait for a generational refresh. On the contrary if it sells at 165K then it would be why did I wait for this overpriced box. :meh:

I am slowed down by my current machine but not in desperate need, hence can afford to wait. As I mentioned elsewhere, the first thing that I will do on a new machine is play Civ 6 and Tropico 6. It has been a craving, brewing for years now. :wacky:
While I doubt the refresh will cost more, this wait cycle is an endless one.
Given the currency movement trends, it will probably end up costing a small bit more at worst..

What however is likely is this - the refresh will surely yield incremental improvements but it will nowhere close to the transformative improvement that the M1 had over say i5.
So I guess the question is if you want to defer the known 300% or more jump over the core M for a 350% one?

What however is likely is this - the refresh will surely yield incremental improvements but it will nowhere close to the transformative improvement that the M1 had over say i5.
So I guess the question is if you want to defer the known 300% or more jump over the core M for a 350% one?
Fair point. When I said generational, I mostly meant the whole chassis and the other bells and whistles that are expected. Power wise M1 is more than enough for me and when I say I am waiting for M1X, power is not it. Had they went with the redesign, 14" screen, lower weight, thinner bezels, I would have lapped it up. Knowing that its right around the corner and all future macbooks will be based on that design for the next 5 years...

Fair point. When I said generational, I mostly meant the whole chassis and the other bells and whistles that are expected. Power wise M1 is more than enough for me and when I say I am waiting for M1X, power is not it. Had they went with the redesign, 14" screen, lower weight, thinner bezels, I would have lapped it up. Knowing that its right around the corner and all future macbooks will be based on that design for the next 5 years...
Thats quite likely actually..
I know I wasn’t able to keep that zen level of patience :)
Good if you have managed so far :lol:

Back