New build advice needed for new PC 20-25K

Please answer the following questions for others to help you out better. Delete whatever you feel is not required.
  1. Q: What is your budget?
    1. 20-25K. Also depends on the desired configuration.
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    1. CPU - Intel P-IV
    2. Motherboard - Intel D915GAV (dead)
    3. GPU - none
    4. RAM - Simmtronics 512 MB DDR * 2
    5. Monitor - LG
    6. SMPS - UMAX (dead)
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    1. Monitor - LG
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    1. CPU - Intel i3 or i5
    2. Motherboard - Intel, or any compatible motherboard
    3. GPU - none
    4. HDD - Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Blue
    5. RAM - 2 GB
    6. ODD - SATA
    7. Router - 802.11n, WPA Security, Single band (Optional)
    8. SMPS - probably Corsair.
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    1. Will be final
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    1. Indore
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    1. No
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    1. Browsing
    2. Desktop Processing
    3. Watching HD movies
    4. Converting videos occasionally
    5. Software programming on Visual Studio
    6. Will be on throughout the whole day except at night
    7. Testing and running mostly free software
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    1. Intel motherboard and processor. Have been using their products for years, and seen other PCs perform well too. But, open to suggestions.
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    1. Won't be used for games
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1024x768
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    1. No
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    1. Windows XP Professional

=============================================

Hi all,

First post here. Great to be here. I never knew about this forum until today, when I came aross it while searching the internet for prices of processors and motherboards.

I really wanted a forum which would cater for Indians. So, its great to discover it when I needed it most.

As per the template above, I need advice for a new build in the 20-25 K range.

Actually, the price range may vary depending on the configuration. The important thing is that the PC should give a good performance according to my needs. I am not a frequent upgrader of PCs, so I would like a configuration which won't need an upgrade for a few years, and should be reliable, with good performance.

My old PC died actually... motherboard dead, and most probably the CPU too. It was probably due to a fault in the power supply. I first thought it might be the SMPS, but it can be the UPS too... because the battery of the UPS was not working anyway, and also discovered that the UPS battery was blown. Anyways, fact is that my old system is dead, and therefore I need to buy a new one.

I have researched a bit myself, and chosen 3 Intel ATX motherboards. ATX because, they allow for expansion and connection of more components. I usually use 2-3 hard disks, and also connect hard drives of others occasionally.. so want enough ports. The number of ports on Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX is very less. So, considering integrated onboard graphics, and not considering EOS or EOIS motherboards, I have chosen these three :

Intel Desktop Board DZ68BC : http://www.intel.com...ard-dz68bc.html

Intel Desktop Board DZ68DB : http://www.intel.com...ard-dz68db.html

Intel Desktop Board DH67CL : http://www.intel.com...ard-dh67cl.html

If there are any more motherboards that I can consider, please suggest.

I am also open to suggestions about Asus, or motherboards of other companies. But, I think the motherboards of other companies cost more? I haven't used any other, so I have no idea.

Will DH67CL be enough for my needs? I did not see much difference in DH67CL and DZ68DB except for graphics output and firewire port. Why such a price difference then?

Also, in the comparison chart, for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 configuration, for DH67CL it was 6+8 and 2+0, whereas for DZ68DB, it was 6 8, and 2 0 (without "+"). Is there any difference in that notation?

The vendor from which I got quotation told me that DZ68DB was not being shipped from Intel itself. Is that true, or was he just fooling me because he did not have it himself?

I am not into gaming and stuff. My needs are pretty simple. So, I think I will not require an external GPU? I occasionally convert videos from one format to other, or convert them for iPod, or Android phone, or I rip DVDs sometimes. That stuff will be good without a graphics card?

HD movies can be watched without a graphics card? On my earlier configuration, with no GPU, I did not have much problem, except with the newer releases of VLC, and some HD movies taking high CPU. I think the newer Intel processors and mobos will be able to handle them well enough with integrated graphics?

About processors.. will i3 be enough for my needs? If yes, then which one should I go for?

If i3 will be enough, then is DH67CL and an i3 processor a good enough combination for my needs? If yes, it would be great, because the price would be quite less.

But, if for my needs, I should go for an i5, please do suggest which one, and also the motherboard.

In case of processors, I noticed "Embedded options available". What does that mean?

Also, what is meant by "Max TDP" and is it something to be concerned of?

I also noticed in the comparison chart of i3 processors, that Instruction Set was 64-bit. Does that mean, these processors are 64-bit? Will it require Windows 64-bit to be installed? I hope not
scared14.gif

About SMPS, I earlier used cheap ones of UMAX 450 W. But, considering that it might be the cause of a dead motherboard, this time I am willing to invest on a quality SMPS. Please suggest a good one with enough wattage. I might connect 2-3 hard drives at a time. I would also require more number of connectors, hard drive and power ones, considering that. I have noticed that the cheap ones have too less connectors. I don't know what's the case with quality PSUs.

2 GB of RAM will be enough?

For HDD, I would like to go for WD Caviar Blue 500 GB. Or, will Caviar Green be good?

I have been using Seagate since years.. but recently, I have seen many failed ones, including mine, so I am not very willing to go for Seagate drives. But, if they are reliable nowadays, then please suggest me one.

Wireless Router is optional.. if the price does not go over the top for me, then I may consider buying it. Still, would like to know about makes and models for my need, because I will buy it sooner or later. I just need a wireless router to be able to connect my Android phone with it. Main purpose is for browsing, and downloading apps. No heavy usage like streaming videos or so.

Also, if anyone knows a good, reliable computer shop in Indore which offers reasonable price, please do tell.

If you can also give tips for how to purchase the parts, like going for boxed mobos and processors... will be grateful. I don't want to be taken for a ride. Atleast the parts should be genuine, and reliable.

The one shop I asked from which I usually buy computer parts from, might be telling me higher prices. Atleast he did so, for the router... 700/- Rs difference
scared14.gif

Well, I think that will be all. Sorry for the long post, or any other thing which I should not have written.

Thanks in advance
happy19.gif

CPU-Intel i3 2100-6.2k

Mobo-Intel DH67BL-B3-5.4k

Ram-Corsair XMS3 2X2gb 1333mhz-1.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X2gb 1333mhz-1.6k

HDD-Segate 500GB-4k

PSU-Corsair CX430V2-2.2k

Case-Nzxt gamma-2.4k

ODD-Samsung DVD-RW-1k

Hope this helps
happy19.gif

So many queries
scared14.gif
Good, proves that you have done your homework.
happy19.gif

All the bold written are answers.

Hi all,

First post here. Great to be here. I never knew about this forum until today, when I came aross it while searching the internet for prices of processors and motherboards.

I really wanted a forum which would cater for Indians. So, its great to discover it when I needed it most.

You're most welcome, hope you have a great stay here.
happy19.gif

As per the template above, I need advice for a new build in the 20-25 K range.

Actually, the price range may vary depending on the configuration. The important thing is that the PC should give a good performance according to my needs. I am not a frequent upgrader of PCs, so I would like a configuration which won't need an upgrade for a few years, and should be reliable, with good performance.

My old PC died actually... motherboard dead, and most probably the CPU too. It was probably due to a fault in the power supply. I first thought it might be the SMPS, but it can be the UPS too... because the battery of the UPS was not working anyway, and also discovered that the UPS battery was blown. Anyways, fact is that my old system is dead, and therefore I need to buy a new one.

I have researched a bit myself, and chosen 3 Intel ATX motherboards. ATX because, they allow for expansion and connection of more components. I usually use 2-3 hard disks, and also connect hard drives of others occasionally.. so want enough ports. The number of ports on Micro-ATX or Mini-ITX is very less. So, considering integrated onboard graphics, and not considering EOS or EOIS motherboards, I have chosen these three :

Intel Desktop Board DZ68BC : http://www.intel.com...ard-dz68bc.html

Intel Desktop Board DZ68DB : http://www.intel.com...ard-dz68db.html

Intel Desktop Board DH67CL : http://www.intel.com...ard-dh67cl.html

If there are any more motherboards that I can consider, please suggest.

I am also open to suggestions about Asus, or motherboards of other companies. But, I think the motherboards of other companies cost more? I haven't used any other, so I have no idea.

Will DH67CL be enough for my needs? I did not see much difference in DH67CL and DZ68DB except for graphics output and firewire port. Why such a price difference then?

Z68 is a high end board, so its supposed to be costly. It fully supports overclocking.

Also, in the comparison chart, for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 configuration, for DH67CL it was 6+8 and 2+0, whereas for DZ68DB, it was 6 8, and 2 0 (without "+"). Is there any difference in that notation?

I don't think so, it may be expandable/not. (not sure)

The vendor from which I got quotation told me that DZ68DB was not being shipped from Intel itself. Is that true, or was he just fooling me because he did not have it himself?

scared14.gif
NO

I am not into gaming and stuff. My needs are pretty simple. So, I think I will not require an external GPU? I occasionally convert videos from one format to other, or convert them for iPod, or Android phone, or I rip DVDs sometimes. That stuff will be good without a graphics card?

You'll never need a graphics card, Intel HD2000 is more than enough
happy19.gif

HD movies can be watched without a graphics card? On my earlier configuration, with no GPU, I did not have much problem, except with the newer releases of VLC, and some HD movies taking high CPU. I think the newer Intel processors and mobos will be able to handle them well enough with integrated graphics?

Yes

About processors.. will i3 be enough for my needs? If yes, then which one should I go for?

If i3 will be enough, then is DH67CL and an i3 processor a good enough combination for my needs? If yes, it would be great, because the price would be quite less.

Yes, you can get a H61 board with 4 SATA ports (enough for you?), and save some bucks there)

But, if for my needs, I should go for an i5, please do suggest which one, and also the motherboard.

NO

In case of processors, I noticed "Embedded options available". What does that mean?

Don't know
54645.gif

Also, what is meant by "Max TDP" and is it something to be concerned of?

TDP= Thermal Design power, its the maximum power a CPU can consume.

I also noticed in the comparison chart of i3 processors, that Instruction Set was 64-bit. Does that mean, these processors are 64-bit? Will it require Windows 64-bit to be installed? I hope not
scared14.gif

lol no, it means the CPU supports 64 bit instruction sets (now don't ask what's this). If you continue to use 32 bit OS (whichever), you won't be able to use more than ~3 GB of RAM.

About SMPS, I earlier used cheap ones of UMAX 450 W. But, considering that it might be the cause of a dead motherboard, this time I am willing to invest on a quality SMPS. Please suggest a good one with enough wattage. I might connect 2-3 hard drives at a time. I would also require more number of connectors, hard drive and power ones, considering that. I have noticed that the cheap ones have too less connectors. I don't know what's the case with quality PSUs.

PSU=power suppy units. Their function is to provide required amount of current at correct voltage rating to system components. If you compromise with that, your components can blow any day, mostly due to lack of efficiency of an el cheapo PSU. Go for Corsair CX430 v2.

2 GB of RAM will be enough?

It will only be kaam chalau, opt for 4GB (in combination with a 64 bit OS otherwise ~1GB of RAM will remain unused as said previously.

For HDD, I would like to go for WD Caviar Blue 500 GB. Or, will Caviar Green be good?

I have been using Seagate since years.. but recently, I have seen many failed ones, including mine, so I am not very willing to go for Seagate drives. But, if they are reliable nowadays, then please suggest me one.

Blue, I feel green is slow.

Wireless Router is optional.. if the price does not go over the top for me, then I may consider buying it. Still, would like to know about makes and models for my need, because I will buy it sooner or later. I just need a wireless router to be able to connect my Android phone with it. Main purpose is for browsing, and downloading apps. No heavy usage like streaming videos or so.

Get any D-link router.

Also, if anyone knows a good, reliable computer shop in Indore which offers reasonable price, please do tell.

Contact a member named something #$$Lionking$$ (something like that).

If you can also give tips for how to purchase the parts, like going for boxed mobos and processors... will be grateful. I don't want to be taken for a ride. Atleast the parts should be genuine, and reliable.

The one shop I asked from which I usually buy computer parts from, might be telling me higher prices. Atleast he did so, for the router... 700/- Rs difference
scared14.gif

Online shopping ftw!
happy19.gif

Well, I think that will be all. Sorry for the long post, or any other thing which I should not have written.

It was my pleasure to answer
happy19.gif

Thanks in advance
happy19.gif

#[member='Jakob'] Mate, price of mobo is wrong, its 5.5k.

OP is asking for WD HDD and still you suggested Seagate
<

And why not CM elite 310 and save few bucks. He is not going to need Gamma as no dGPU.

Well you can't give exact same price of the product cause the prices fluctuate day by day so don't mention those type of things everytime,op can get different price quoted when he actually goes to buy components,as of gamma it's in the budget and it has better cable management,space and airflow so i've suggested it,there is no budget issue here and WD has had many A.S.S problems lately hense suggested segate which is majoraly available in the market.

Well you can't give exact same price of the product cause the prices fluctuate day by day so don't mention those type of things everytime,op can get different price quoted when he actually goes to buy components,as of gamma it's in the budget and it has better cable management,space and airflow so i've suggested it,there is no budget issue here and WD has had many A.S.S problems lately hense suggested segate which is majoraly available in the market.

3.5k to 5.5k is not fluctuation, its called TYPO! And as far as the price difference is huge I'll continue to mention that. OP may get misguided. Don't take it personally.

We're not here just to suggest a config but rather HELP a person, which of course you didn't do completely by not answering all the genuine questions asked by OP and arguing after I pointed out a mistake humbly.

I just suggested Elite 310 as an option mate.

WD has ASS issues? Heard for the best time. AFAIK & heard WD is better in ASS in Seagate.

You're most welcome, hope you have a great stay here.
happy19.gif

Thanks a lot
<
. I really can't believe such a good Indian tech forum exists. I am really impressed by the forum. Looks very professional, and from the pinned threads I looked at, the members in here too seem great.

Now, this will be my first stop for hardware related queries, or maybe other queries too.

Yes, you can get a H61 board with 4 SATA ports (enough for you?), and save some bucks there

Which Intel motherboard would be that one.. can you give the exact name, and/or maybe a link too.

lol no, it means the CPU supports 64 bit instruction sets (now don't ask what's this). If you continue to use 32 bit OS (whichever), you won't be able to use more than ~3 GB of RAM.

Oh OK. Well, I have 32-bit OS only. So, don't think its worth investing in 4 GB, or is it?

Go for Corsair CX430 v2.

OK. So Corsair CX430 V2 it will be
<
. I noticed though that it has only three 4-pin peripheral connectors. So, one will be used for the ODD, and two will be free for the HDDs. In case I need to connect another HDD, I can use split connector for power?

Online shopping ftw!
happy19.gif

Do we have reliable online shopping sites in India? Well, I have never used one
<
. I don't trust them, considering it's India
<
. Also, I don't have a credit card and no intention of getting one. So, I guess I can't buy from online sites. Don't have PayPal account either
<

Thanks for your reply... really helpful. So now things are a bit clear for me.

Processor will be i3. Can you suggest which one(s)?

SMPS will be Corsair CX430 V2.

Motherboard ... what you suggested would be MicroATX, or Mini-ITX? If DH67CL would be good, I don't mind spending money on it.

RAM : Same as what Jakob suggested?

HDD : I don't mind Seagate or WD, as long as its reliable. As I said, I have used Seagate for years, but the recent experiences haven't been good. So, I wanted to go for WD, as I have read good things about it, and many people recommend it too, for the same reason of reliability.

So, when a new HDD was needed for my friend, we got WD.

What is ASS by the way? Is it related to the "alignment" that is unique to WD? Are there issues with it?

ODD : LG or Samsung?

For the case, I have the old ATX one, although its from Intex, and is the cheap one. Should I go for a new one, or the old one will do?

If you've seen recent threads here in storage section there've been many complaints about wd A.S.S here is a link to the main therad-http://www.techenclave.com/topic/475656-western-digital-issues-rma-problems-service-deficiency-thread/page__st__340,as for the price i agree that was a typo but i was saying generally we can't give correct price every time.
3.5k to 5.5k is not fluctuation, its called TYPO! And as far as the price difference is huge I'll continue to mention that. OP may get misguided. Don't take it personally.

We're not here just to suggest a config but rather HELP a person, which of course you didn't do completely by not answering all the genuine questions asked by OP and arguing after I pointed out a mistake humbly.

I just suggested Elite 310 as an option mate.

WD has ASS issues? Heard for the best time. AFAIK & heard WD is better in ASS in Seagate.

CPU-Intel i3 2100-6.2k

Mobo-Intel DH67BL-B3-5.4k

Ram-Corsair XMS3 2X2gb 1333mhz-1.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X2gb 1333mhz-1.6k

HDD-Segate 500GB-4k

PSU-Corsair CX430V2-2.2k

Case-Nzxt gamma-2.4k

ODD-Samsung DVD-RW-1k

Hope this helps
happy19.gif

Thanks a lot for your reply. Certainly helps
<

No problem about the price. I had already got quotations from a vendor about some of the components, and so I have a rough idea. I have also searched on the internet for the prices. Although they vary from site to site, but again they give you a rough idea of what to expect.

As for processor.. I think i3-2120, 2125, or 2130 would be better? They have better clock speeds than i3-2100 and so will be better?

Thanks a lot
happy19.gif
. I really can't believe such a good Indian tech forum exists. I am really impressed by the forum. Looks very professional, and from the pinned threads I looked at, the members in here too seem great.

Now, this will be my first stop for hardware related queries, or maybe other queries too.

Which Intel motherboard would be that one.. can you give the exact name, and/or maybe a link too.

H61- 4 SATA 2.0 3gbps ports + no USB 3.0 -

H67- 2 SATA 3.0 6gbps ports, 4 SATA 2.0 3gbps ports + optional USB3.0 + quicksync (not of much importance to you IMO)

Go for H67 if budget allows you.

Oh OK. Well, I have 32-bit OS only. So, don't think its worth investing in 4 GB, or is it?

Yes & Yes, but only if you use 64 bit OS

OK. So Corsair CX430 V2 it will be
happy19.gif
. I noticed though that it has only three 4-pin peripheral connectors. So, one will be used for the ODD, and two will be free for the HDDs. In case I need to connect another HDD, I can use split connector for power?

Most probably yes (not sure).

Let #[member='ALPHA17'] confirm it.

Do we have reliable online shopping sites in India? Well, I have never used one
happy55.gif
. I don't trust them, considering it's India
happy55.gif
. Also, I don't have a credit card and no intention of getting one. So, I guess I can't buy from online sites. Don't have PayPal account either
tongu23e.gif

Days have changed man. Online shopping is very secure today. There's 0.01% chances of fraud. I'll guide you through them if you require
happy19.gif

Thanks for your reply... really helpful. So now things are a bit clear for me.

Processor will be i3. Can you suggest which one(s)?

The i3-2125 supports HD3000 (as per your link in first post), if possible get that, or whichever is available.

SMPS will be Corsair CX430 V2.

Motherboard ... what you suggested would be MicroATX, or Mini-ITX? If DH67CL would be good, I don't mind spending money on it.

Micro ATX, reasons- more spacious, thus cooler, more headroom for components, better cable management, future upgrade options.

RAM : Same as what Jakob suggested?

Corsair Select Value 1333MHz

HDD : I don't mind Seagate or WD, as long as its reliable. As I said, I have used Seagate for years, but the recent experiences haven't been good. So, I wanted to go for WD, as I have read good things about it, and many people recommend it too, for the same reason of reliability.

I personally prefer WD due to better ASS - After Sales Service

So, when a new HDD was needed for my friend, we got WD.

What is ASS by the way? Is it related to the "alignment" that is unique to WD? Are there issues with it?

After Sales Service

ODD : LG or Samsung?

Asus

For the case, I have the old ATX one, although its from Intex, and is the cheap one. Should I go for a new one, or the old one will do?

Get a new.

Thanks for your reply again JuGGa ... much appreciated
<

Yes, I wanted to go for DH67CL, because of the availability of USB 3.0 ports, and SATA 3.0 ports too.

Ah, ASS is After Sales Service. Thanks. Well, ASS of Seagate is not bad either. We got replaced some failing Seagate drives which were in the warranty period, and they got replaced pretty quickly, within 10 days. And with no hassle either.

I don't have experience with WD ASS yet though.

Days have changed man. Online shopping is very secure today. There's 0.01% chances of fraud. I'll guide you through them if you require
happy19.gif

That's great to know
<
. I went through flipkart.com, to which you linked to for Asus ODD... and I saw that it has various payment options, including debit card, and cash on delivery. That's great!

Could you provide links for some reliable online sites for buying computer parts? I will check them out, and maybe buy from there, if possible. Sure, I can use some guidance too.

But, if I do buy the build parts online, I will have to assemble them myself, right? I don't have a problem with it, as I assembled the old one myself. The only problem comes with assembling the CPU, and its thermal paste, and the heat sink.

OK, I have now reached some decision regarding the configuration, thanks to all the help here
<

So, here it goes.

Motherboard : DH67CL

Its ATX. Plus, it has USB 3.0 ports, and also SATA 3.0 ports.

Processor : i3-2120/2125/2130

Will see which one to buy depending on the price and availability. i3-2125 has Intel HD Graphics 3000, whereas other two have 2000. So, it seems a good choice. On the other hand, i3-2130 has better clock speed and bus/core ratio(if that will mean anything
<
). Lets see.

RAM : I took help of memory finder on Corsair site for the DH67CL motherboard. Since I am thinking of going for 2 GB, will TW3X2G1333C9A be good? Its Dual Channel 2x1GB. Or, should I go for VS2GB1333D3 which is PC3 Dual Channel, but 2 GB... another is CMX2GX3M1A1333C9 which is XMS3 Single Stick 2 GB. What's the difference between the two?

Or, should I go for 4 GB? Keep in mind, I will be using Windows XP 32-bit.

HDD : Most probably WD Caviar Blue 500 GB.

But since I will be using Windows XP on the PC, and for XP, WD drives have to be aligned... does it cause any performance problem, or any other problem?

Or, should I just go for Seagate drives, which do not have this hassle. Are Seagate drives reliable enough nowadays? What's the experience of others who are using Seagate drives?

PSU : Corsair CX430 V2

Keyboard/Mouse : Logitech bundle for Rs. 750/- ... that OK?

ODD : Asus, if available.

Really appreciate all the help
<

Also, as per the forum rules, this will be my last post that I will be allowed for today, until 11 PM tonight
<
.. so, I will be able to reply after that only.

OK, I have now reached some decision regarding the configuration, thanks to all the help here
<

So, here it goes.

Will see which one to buy depending on the price and availability. i3-2125 has Intel HD Graphics 3000, whereas other two have 2000. So, it seems a good choice. On the other hand, i3-2130 has better clock speed and bus/core ratio(if that will mean anything
<
). Lets see.

RAM : I took help of memory finder on Corsair site for the DH67CL motherboard. Since I am thinking of going for 2 GB, will TW3X2G1333C9A be good? Its Dual Channel 2x1GB. Or, should I go for VS2GB1333D3 which is PC3 Dual Channel, but 2 GB... another is CMX2GX3M1A1333C9 which is XMS3 Single Stick 2 GB. What's the difference between the two?

HDD : Most probably WD Caviar Blue 500 GB.

But since I will be using Windows XP on the PC, and for XP, WD drives have to be aligned... does it cause any performance problem, or any other problem?

Or, should I just go for Seagate drives, which do not have this hassle. Are Seagate drives reliable enough nowadays? What's the experience of others who are using Seagate drives?

PSU : Corsair CX430 V2

ODD : Asus, if available.

Really appreciate all the help
<

Also, as per the forum rules, this will be my last post that I will be allowed for today, until 11 PM tonight
<
.. so, I will be able to reply after that only.

#[member='CapriAnupam']

Go for 4GB RAM (either 2*2 or single 4GB stick), as I'm supposing some day you'll shift to 64 bit
<
- This

Seagate is also fine.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]for XP, WD drives have to be aligned
[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What the hell does it means?
<
[/font]

Keyboard/Mouse - Yes, that's ok
<

Some good & trustable online shopping sites-

1) flipkart.com

2) smcinternational.in (if you're in delhi, you can directly deal with them)

3) theitwares.com (same case for mumbaikars)

4) primeabgb.com ( " " )

5) deltapage.com

6) ebay.in

Yeah I think a Corsair CX V2 430W ~2400/- will be a solid piece of hardware for OP's requirements.

Instead of NZXT Gamma OP will be better off with a NZXT Source Elite 210 ~2100/- [front USB 3.0] and as he is not gaming the main advantages of a Gamma are negated. Instead OP can buy 2 x120mm fans ~300/- OR Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm ~450/- [per piece] to set up a good airflow.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Yes, I wanted to go for DH67CL, because of the availability of USB 3.0 ports, and SATA 3.0 ports too.

The Intel DH-67BL (B3) edition also supports USB 3.0 and SATA III ports, the only difference between the -BL and -CL are that the former is a mATX board whilst the latter is a full-ATX board.

But, if I do buy the build parts online, I will have to assemble them myself, right?

True on this count Sir, but as you have experience putting a PC together this will not be an issue.

The only problem comes with assembling the CPU, and its thermal paste, and the heat sink.

On this I recommend that you swipe of the thermal pad that comes primed from Intel as plenty of people have had high temperature issues with Intel stock cooler. Where are you based, Prime ABGB and TheITDepot stock some fine TIM, do have a look at their stocks.

Arctic Silver 5 is the best TIM you can get readily although a little pricey. Alternatives are the Antec Formula 6 Diamond compound and if you can get this Tuniq TX-2.

On how to use TIM effectively --> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2009/02/16/all-about-tim/1 / http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

I think the DH67-BL will suit you just fine, but the end choice is yours

happy55.gif
). Lets see.

You cannot go wrong with this processor, it is really punchy at its price. Also if possible try to get a quad-core keeping the future in mind. The Core i5 2320 ~9500/- [street price] will be what I would personally recommend, but as usual the end choice is with you.

I took help of memory finder on Corsair site for the DH67CL motherboard. Since I am thinking of going for 2 GB, will TW3X2G1333C9A be good? Its Dual Channel 2x1GB. Or, should I go for VS2GB1333D3 which is PC3 Dual Channel, but 2 GB... another is CMX2GX3M1A1333C9 which is XMS3 Single Stick 2 GB. What's the difference between the two?

You will have to migrate to a 64-bit platform eventually Sire, for that I recommend that you go for a Corsair ValueRAM 1333MHz module ~1100/-. Add another module of the same class once you migrate to the 64-bit bandwagon.

Most probably WD Caviar Blue 500 GB.

But since I will be using Windows XP on the PC, and for XP, WD drives have to be aligned... does it cause any performance.

Did not get this, what do you mean that they have to be aligned?

I trust Seagate drives better, have seen a fair share of Green and Blue edition drives conking of at most inopportune times taking their data in tow.

Corsair CX430 V2

Checks out, 5 / 5.

Yeah, this is the best online price you will get for the combo, local price will be between ~650/- --> 700/-

Asus, if available.

LG / Samsung OEM pieces are cheaper and will perform at par. Also their after sales is much smoother compared to ASUS kaa Rashi deal.

Hope this helps, Cheers!! Any queries please respond as soon as your ban is revoked.

I was banned?
<
.. why?
<

I didnt even knew about that! No notification.. no warning.. nothing. Why wasn't I informed, and why was I banned?

I think it was because of double posting? I didn't know how it happened, and it was a mistake. I had actually posted an apology for that, but that reply never got posted. Maybe because I got banned, that's why :$ ...

Actually, when I posted my last reply, I was expecting the notification that "your post will be approved by moderator", which used to appear when I posted. But, that time, it did not appear, neither did the post appear. So, I hit the Post button again.. and again nothing happened. Then I refreshed the page, and saw that my reply had been posted twice
<

I had then posted an apology post.. but it never got posted, even after hitting Post button, and refreshing the page.

Anyways, thanks for your reply ALPHA17, I will reply to you tomorrow, its late here now.

Thanks for your reply too once again JuGGa
<
.. and also for the links to the sites.

About aligning of WD drives, actually, its their Advanced Format technology. You can read about it here :

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/features/?id=7

Its compulsory to run the Advanced Format utlity to align the partitions, if using Windows XP. So, I had to do that for the 1 TB WD HDD that we bought for my friend. We are having trouble with it though.. don't know if its motherboard, or, wattage problem, or some other problem, maybe related to this advanced format. Anyways, that's another issue.

Well, by telling to go for Seagate, you have put me again in a fix
<

About the case, well, can you people suggest some cheaper cases, if possible? Actually, I have never used these quality cases, or the quality power supplies. This is the first time I would be going for a quality PSU. I have no idea about cases at all. If there are any cheaper cases I can consider, then please suggest.. like around 1000-1500 or so?
<
. .. coz these costlier HDD, PSU, and case are breaking my budget
<

Well, if I really should go for a quality case, then well, will have to do that... *shrug
<

Rest later tomorrow. I just hope this reply gets posted, and my ban has lifted..

I was banned?
scared14.gif
.. why?
scared14.gif

I didnt even knew about that! No notification.. no warning.. nothing. Why wasn't I informed, and why was I banned?

I think it was because of double posting? I didn't know how it happened, and it was a mistake. I had actually posted an apology for that, but that reply never got posted. Maybe because I got banned, that's why :$ ...

Relax dude, you weren't/aren't banned!
tongu23e.gif

There's a daily limit of 5 posts for new members. Its a new feature as part of the new forum software, so #[member='ALPHA17'] mistook it for a ban.

Double posting is no harm, happens often, no need to apologise.

Hope this helps, Cheers!! Any queries please respond as soon as your ban is revoked.

Guys, please don't confuse the new members
tongu23e.gif

Relax dude, you weren't/aren't banned!
tongu23e.gif

There's a daily limit of 5 posts for new members. Its a new feature as part of the new forum software, so #[member='ALPHA17'] mistook it for a ban.

Double posting is no harm, happens often, no need to apologise.

Guys, please don't confuse the new members
tongu23e.gif

Oh, I wasn't banned. Well yea, it didnt feel like a ban, but yea, the statement about the ban got me confused. Anyways, thanks to let me know I am not banned
<

Instead of NZXT Gamma OP will be better off with a NZXT Source Elite 210 ~2100/- [front USB 3.0] and as he is not gaming the main advantages of a Gamma are negated. Instead OP can buy 2 x120mm fans ~300/- OR Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm ~450/- [per piece] to set up a good airflow.

Any chance I can get case cheaper than that? Around 1000 to 1500? If I decide to go for mATX board, will you recommend any other case?

The Intel DH-67BL (B3) edition also supports USB 3.0 and SATA III ports, the only difference between the -BL and -CL are that the former is a mATX board whilst the latter is a full-ATX board.

Many thanks for that advice! I compared DH67BL and DH67CL :

http://ark.intel.com/compare/50101,50098

and to my pleasant surprise, I found that there is no difference, except that PCI support for DH67CL is 3 compared to 1 for DH67BL.

I had thought that being an mATX board, DH67BL will house lesser USB/SATA ports, but it does not
<

Is DH67BL-B3 the same as in the comparison page? I did not see B3 mentioned anywhere. Are they same? Why is it called DH67BL-B3? And if there is any difference between DH67BL and DH67BL-B3, then please tell the difference.

DH67BL has only one PCI .. will that be any disdvantage?

Will I have any advantages in going for DH67CL, other than 2 extra PCI ports?

On this I recommend that you swipe of the thermal pad that comes primed from Intel as plenty of people have had high temperature issues with Intel stock cooler. Where are you based, Prime ABGB and TheITDepot stock some fine TIM, do have a look at their stocks.

Arctic Silver 5 is the best TIM you can get readily although a little pricey. Alternatives are the Antec Formula 6 Diamond compound and if you can get this Tuniq TX-2.

On how to use TIM effectively --> http://www.bit-tech....all-about-tim/1 / http://www.techpower...icle.php?id=134

Thanks, will check it out
<

You cannot go wrong with this processor, it is really punchy at its price. Also if possible try to get a quad-core keeping the future in mind. The Core i5 2320 ~9500/- [street price] will be what I would personally recommend, but as usual the end choice is with you.

What you said about the processor being punchy, it applies to i3-2120/2125/2130 .. all of them, or just 2120? Because, I will first inquire the price of all three, and if there is not much difference, I may go for 2125, or 2130.

Well, since i3 will be quite fine for me, I think I will stick to it. i5 will take the budget higher. I am trying to get my budget around 25K. i had thought that I would go for i5 if absolutely necessary for my needs, but I think I will be fine with i3 as you all kindly suggested here
<

I am jobless right now. Maybe when I get a good job, I can think of upgrading.

You will have to migrate to a 64-bit platform eventually Sire, for that I recommend that you go for a Corsair ValueRAM 1333MHz module ~1100/-. Add another module of the same class once you migrate to the 64-bit bandwagon.

Thanks for that advice
<

Can you provide the model number for the RAM? As I don't know which of the model will be considered a value RAM
<

Did not get this, what do you mean that they have to be aligned?I trust Seagate drives better, have seen a fair share of Green and Blue edition drives conking of at most inopportune times taking their data in tow.

About the WD being aligned, I shared a link for it in my earlier post. Its because of the "Advanced Format" that WD drives have. So, the partitions need to be aligned, if there are more than one. In case of Windows XP, it's essential.

Sheesh, am in a fix now... which drive to go for.

Well, can you recommend which Seagate drive I should go for?

ALPHA17' timestamp='1333383547' post='1730971 said:
Yeah, this is the best online price you will get for the combo, local price will be between ~650/- --> 700/-

Well, that was the price that the vendor quoted to me
<
... so is he taking me for a ride? Well, that is why I was looking for another reliable shop. If anyone knows in Indore, please do tell me.

ALPHA17' timestamp='1333383547' post='1730971 said:
LG / Samsung OEM pieces are cheaper and will perform at par. Also their after sales is much smoother compared to ASUS kaa Rashi deal.

Thanks
<
. I will go for Samsung then, I think.

Many thanks for your reply... specially about mATX board.

Any chance I can get case cheaper than that? Around 1000 to 1500?

Cooler Master eLite 370 ~1900/- is the least you can pull back to, after that it really is not worth it getting a branded cabinet as the SMPS gets shifted to the top of the cabinet, which is not a good place as newer SMPS with downward facing fan will dump hot air, directly on the CPU, not good.

And if there is any difference between DH67BL and DH67BL-B3, then please tell the difference.

The B3 affix is attached for the purpose of differentiating between older B1 stepping chips which had issues with respect to detecting hard drives and SATA port controllers, for more on the same --> http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.in/2011/02/intel-6-series-chipset-issues-q.html / http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-032329.htm / http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/motherboards/1282519/gigabyte-to-replace-flawed-intel-boards-in-april.

Do not worry, as almost all current stocks of motherboards are new -B3 revisions. DH67BL has only one PCI, will that be any disadvantage?

Do you plan to put any PCI expansion cards later down the line, Receiver and LAN cards, Audio cards, TV Tuners et al. If you plan to ave nay of these cards down the line, get the DH67-CL instead of the -BL.

What you said about the processor being punchy, it applies to i3-2120/2125/2130 .. all of them, or just 2120?

Applies to the entire Core i3 line-up as a collective.

Well, since i3 will be quite fine for me, I think I will stick to it. i5 will take the budget higher. I am trying to get my budget around 25K. i had thought that I would go for i5 if absolutely necessary for my needs, but I think I will be fine with i3 as you all kindly suggested here.

Just asking you to reconsider keeping the future in mind, as the trend programs are getting optimized to take advantage of every core present on the processor.

Can you provide the model number for the RAM? As I don't know which of the model will be considered a value RAM ?

This is the product --> http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/value-select-memory-upgrades/cmv4gx3m2a1333c9.html.

Well, can you recommend which Seagate drive I should go for?

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~4000/- will be the best bet for you Sire. It performs close to the Western Digital Black Edition drive and doesn't demand that you pay a price premium.

Well, that was the price that the vendor quoted to me
scared14.gif
... so is he taking me for a ride? Well, that is why I was looking for another reliable shop. If anyone knows in Indore, please do tell me.

There is a member here from Indore he will be able to guide you better --> http://www.techenclave.com/user/43867-lionking/, drop him a PM.

Hope this answers the queries you had, Cheers!!

Back