PC Peripherals New Cabinet, system refuses to boot

plsoft

Adept
I just bought a new cabinet and after putting everything back, my OS (Win 7) refuses to load with the error "Error loading operating system". I've checked the BIOS and the HDD is detected by the BIOS, and i've also set the proper boot priority. Thinking that the boot loader may have been corrupted, i tried to re-install the OS (using bootable flash drive as well as DVD ROM) but the HDD is not detected/displayed in the drive selection UI.

Also, to check if the HDD has gone bad, i plugged the HDD in another system and it's working fine.

I've been trying to fix this for a while now and i just can't understand the problem, HDD detected by the BIOS but not the windows installer.

Below is my system configuration:

Motherboard: Intel DG35EC
Processor: Intel C2D E7400
RAM: Kingston 1GB * 2 (800)
HDD: Seagate 160GB
SMPS: Corsair VS450
Cabinet: CM Elite 431

Try windows repair via windows dvd. This issue arises when you are using a volume or retail licensing product key which binds itself to the hardware id of your machine. So when you change any hardware component, this error is common. But in your case as its just the cabinet try windows repair.

Else recall and put all the sata data connectors in their old pins/sockets.

Did you reset the bios before/after the re-assembly?

Try windows repair via windows dvd. This issue arises when you are using a volume or retail licensing product key which binds itself to the hardware id of your machine. So when you change any hardware component, this error is common. But in your case as its just the cabinet try windows repair.
I did try windows repair as well, however, like I said, it doesn't detect the HDD at all.

Else recall and put all the sata data connectors in their old pins/sockets.
I tried connecting the HDD with all the 4 SATA ports one after the other and with different SATA cables but still no luck.

Did you reset the bios before/after the re-assembly?
Yes, I did reset the BIOS after the re-assembly since none of the methods I tried work.

I think you need to reformat your drive or rebuild the mbr.
Your hdd mbr has got corrupt.
You can easily repair/ rebuild it by EaseUS Partition Master.

Try that on your friends system.

Are you able to browse all your partitions and is your data intact? Try to backup your data if incase the disk needs to be RMAed if its under warranty.

I think you need to reformat your drive or rebuild the mbr.
Your hdd mbr has got corrupt.
You can easily repair/ rebuild it by EaseUS Partition Master.

Try that on your friends system.

Are you able to browse all your partitions and is your data intact? Try to backup your data if incase the disk needs to be RMAed if its under warranty.

Just to check if the installer is able to detect a working HDD, I removed a working HDD from another system and attach the HDD in the problematic system. Even this is not detected by the installer or seagate seatools.
What baffles me is that the DVD ROM works perfectly while the HDD doesn't, even on the same SATA port, yet the same HDD works on another system.
Is it possible that there is an issue with the motherboard?

Just to check if the installer is able to detect a working HDD, I removed a working HDD from another system and attach the HDD in the problematic system. Even this is not detected by the installer or seagate seatools.
What baffles me is that the DVD ROM works perfectly while the HDD doesn't, even on the same SATA port, yet the same HDD works on another system.
Is it possible that there is an issue with the motherboard?

If you tried a working HDD from another system on your mobo and still it doesnt detect then check your bios. There might be some settings related to boot or stat. Play with them.

Further, try that Another HDD in your system and try installing OS. lets see if the OS detects this HDD this time.

Also, this time connect the HDD to SATA port 1 and your Dvd drive to Sata port 4.

dg35ec-top-800.jpg

1. Seems like proper power is not supplied to HDD.change the sata power cable supplying power to hdd with the one supplying to DVD. If you have multimeter thing you can check for the voltages of the sata power cable.
2. In case it is a pata disk (you already mentioned SATA isn't it?) check proper selection in master/ slave connector
3. Set MB bios to default settings/ let MB detect all drives automatically. Once the first bios screen is over and the 'post' moves to pci section (after the first screen) press 'pause' button ( before windows logo appears) to stop the boot sequence and check the 'SMART' status of the hdd

Its clearly evident that your motherboard SATA port or the power cable to your HDD is corrupt.

1. Try connecting the power cable and sata cable that powers the DVD ROM to your HDD - Post the Results
2. Did you bend or applied too much pressure while fixing your mobo to the new cabinet?

If a working HDD from other system is not working on yours, then its pretty much to do with your power cable to HDD

Back