new cellphone 6-7k

raxy

Disciple
hello guys i need to buy a new cellphone as my old one is washed up in washing machine:p
budget is around 7k mark , how is nokia 5233 xm?

If you are ok without 3G and OS go for Cookie pep......

or go for LG Cookie which is just 5K now...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I have Star with Wifi.

Its just great phone.

So even think of Samsung Star

raxy said:
i know this is a stupid question but what are 3g and gps? are they really important?
3G: In layman's terms, it is faster internet access upto speeds of 3.6Mbps (as nokia 5230 supports upto this speed only) provided that the operator is providing 3G services. Currently only BSNL and MTNL are providing it. If you have a phone capable of going upto 7.2Mbps (like Iphone 3GS i guess, correct me if wrong) then even that is possible.

GPS: Global Positioning System. Nokia 5230 (which is same as 5233 but having GPS and 3G) has an inbuilt GPS receiver which can locate you on maps. You also have the Nokia OvI Maps application which you can use to find you exact location, direction from point A to B etc etc. It uses the satellites in the sky to achieve all this (sounds rocket science na :p)

If you intend to use super fast internet on your phone then you will need 3G since EDGE speeds are pony in front of that.

GPS may not be needed much but if you have you may use it. To be frank i have made extensive use of GPS in Mumbai to location restaurants and find directions. :)

To add to what Raks said 3G auctions in India are over and all private provides will start to provide 3G services by November-December 2010. As of now in most of the circles 3 bid winning private provides will be providing 3G services.

raksrules said:
3G: In layman's terms, it is faster internet access upto speeds of 3.6Mbps (as nokia 5230 supports upto this speed only) provided that the operator is providing 3G services. Currently only BSNL and MTNL are providing it. If you have a phone capable of going upto 7.2Mbps (like Iphone 3GS i guess, correct me if wrong) then even that is possible.
I dont think the 3G network of BSNL/MTNL support 7.2Mbps speeds as they always advertise with 3.6Mbps speeds. But the networks of the private operators will be more future ready.

BTW, I dont think 3G services will be launched by the private operators by Dec '10.
They cant launch it until they are allocated the spectrum and spectrum cannot be allocated until the Defence Ministry gives up the spectrum.

Also, initially the usage charges will be very steep as the operators will be looking to recoup the high price they paid for the spectrum and also for buying the equipment for the 3G network.
The rates will start to get reasonable only after 2years, IMO.

@OP So think if you really are gonna need 3G.
GPS is a total lifesaver though. But being future ready is a good thing.

But you can also buy an 8GB memory card with the money you save by buying the 5233 instead of 5230.
AFAIK, the 5233 does not come with a memory card in the box.

P.S: What is the present price of the Nokia 5233 and 5230?

Avoid 5233. Even if you don't understand / need 3G and GPS at this point of time, when you probably do may be a year down the line or so (I guess much earlier), you won't regret having bought a more capable model.

one more query will nokia 5230/5233 work in south korea and japan? as i have some cellphones from korea which doesnt work here.....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

come on people i need to buy new cellphone urgently...........

raxy said:
one more query will nokia 5230/5233 work in south korea and japan? as i have some cellphones from korea which doesnt work here.....

South Korean & Japanese cell phones are based on AMPS technology and will not work under the GSM system used in the rest of the world. Moreover, Japan and South Korea use highly specialized CDMA technology and it is very hard and expensive to get a Japanese or Korean cell phone without a local citizenship.

HOW DID YOU GET THOSE PHONES ????????

I was in the same dilemma; I opted for 5233.

Reason : Same what hotshot mentioned.

* 3g will be vfm not before 12-18 months.

* GPS : I have n79 still I very rarely use its GPS. So no point of having that.

The package does not contain memory card. You will need to purchase it separately. My suggestion is to buy 5233 and opt for Airtel's Rs 98/- gprs plan(2GB limit). For the 1000 bucks you saved.. u will get 10 months of gprs connection :)

@MALHOTRARAUL my dad has korean citizenship and uncle has japan's;).......,

so i will have to buy two cellphones one for india and another for south korea/japan:S

Back