CPU/Mobo New desktop! My very first...

a bit of balance of both i guess.. my audioengine a2 sounds rubbish (slight exaggeration) on my soundcard but really nice with my dac. if you want to keep the speakers experiement with changing the source or else experiement with speakers that match the source

I don't really like onboard soundcards... I've had them and CPU usage is a problem, as is quality. I will be going for an external soundcard, and as long as music is good on it, I couldn't give a rats a$$ about the gaming part of it.

One question though, what about a TV-in input? Do any vendors still manufacture ATI all in ones? Or do I have to buy a separate tv tuner card?

gannu said:
For an Intel rig, look no further:

1. E7200 [The most VFM Wolfie; easily overclocks to 3.2G w/o a hike in voltage and with the stock Intel HSF; 132$]

E7200 does not support virtualization... so no VM on E7200 or E4XXX series CPUs

For 2.1 I would suggest Swan M10 for $109 + shipping from The Audio Insider - Home loudspeaker systems and reviews

They were available on egg, but cant seem to find them. If you can spend more, M200MkII (not 2.1 though) is also a very good one. Both are not that heavy on bass, but very good in SQ.

And as you have said that you are a VM junkie, I would suggest going for a quad. I myself am one and love my Q6600 for that. Current gen quad would be a good choice. For ram, would suggest going for at least 2x2gb or depending on budget, 4x2gb.

Can someone recommend a Micro ATX Intel motherboard? And the same for AMD?

Also, since I am not going to be using onboard capabilities for either sound or video (say), does it make a difference whether I use a G33/G35/Q35/945 Chipset? (Especially the 945)..

Seems u r lukin for perfect HTPC.. why 2.1 ch?? Why not good 5.1 at 6K..
Would u want to miss surround expernce on movies? If u r nt movie buff, 2.1 wil suffice..
AMD X2 4200
AMD 780G
Antec fusion
ATI Tv tuner
Wd b more than suffient fr ur need..

Hmmm...

I'll tell you what I'm looking at right now:

1. Phenom 9550 (with a TDP of 95W, which isn't much more than most dual cores)

2. A Gigabyte mATX mobo (can't remember which one)

3. ATI HD 3450 (silent, 256 MB RAM)

4. 4 GB Mushkin

5. The seagate suggested by Gannu

6. Antec Fusion

7. Xonar DX

8. Klipsch GMX 2.1 ( I hate the look, but what the hell)

9. Dell S199WFP

It appears to be a bit above my budget, so I may have to drop something or downgrade a bit (drop the quad core.... or maybe a cheaper cabinet)

gmx was around even when the promedia 2.1 was around and positioned below it. i guess its better for games and music. promedia 2.1 is still there according to the klipsch website but if you cant find it get something else anyway :p

Are they? At least on the Intel side, the difference between the E8200 and the Q6600 is about 20 dollars. Since I don't need smoking fast single thread perf, a quad core would be a better bet in that case. Indeed, I've currently jumped to Intel, the AMD quad core did not offer enough value.

If I do any dev work on this machine, it will be really heavy dev work, so I'd like the extra CPU power where I can get it.

KingKrool said:
Can someone recommend a Micro ATX Intel motherboard? And the same for AMD?

Also, since I am not going to be using onboard capabilities for either sound or video (say), does it make a difference whether I use a G33/G35/Q35/945 Chipset? (Especially the 945)..

Oh the 945 is an outdated chipset almost neared EOL!!! :)

Anyways here's one from Intel;

Newegg.com - Intel BOXD945GCNL LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

These sold like hot cakes when they were released; :p

And here're some mATX Intel motherboards;

G33 - Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG33FBC LGA 775 Intel G33 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

G35 - Newegg.com - Intel BOXDG35EC LGA 775 Intel G35 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

And Q35 is probably useless for a VM; :p

Why not the P35 then???

And the best AMD motherboard would be:

780G - GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev.1.0)

All mATX btw; :)

OK, so I changed my requirements a bit based on cost...

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...asp?WishListNumber=9504208&WishListTitle=comp

Have a look at what I've lined up.

Notably missing:

Xonar - I just don't have an extra 90 dollars lying around. Besides, I hear that the Realtek ALC 888 is very good in Vista (because of HD Audio drivers).

Speakers - I'll probably pickup the VS4121 from somewhere.

Monitor - looking at a Samsung T220.

I wish I had the money to splurge more on the sound, but I think the VS4121 should do. I could spring for the Klipsch Promedia (would cost me 80 more), but I'm not sure what good it would do with an onboard. The advantage of that route is that in the future I could choose to upgrade to a Xonar. But I'll only go that route if even on the on board there is at least a slightly discernible difference between both speaker systems.

Also, how difficult is it to install a processor on a motherboard? That is the one part of system assembly I have never done.

get the promedia 2.1/MX5021 if you can or even the promedia 2.0 gets quite nice after some time.

dont touch the gmx :p

installing processor read the manual that comes and follow the procedure.. its quite easy . just make sure everything is in the right direction and dont force anything

@bottle:- Could you care explain why the GMX is not worth the moolah. I have heard a demo of it and pretty much fell in love with it bass and sound. If you could clear things for me I would be really greatful.

@KK:- Where do u stay. I know a person in Pune who could hook you up with a GMX if you want.

Back