Camera New DSLR for beginner

What's your budget? Arnd 40k

Camera type?
DSLR

How much zoom do you want/expect?
More the better :)

Do you care for manual exposure controls?
No idea

What's the purpose?

Home use / Travel

What will you be shooting with this camera?

Travel mainly.

Do you have any particular model(s) in your mind?

Canon 1200d dual kit, 600d Nikon 3300

Any brand preference? Like/dislike

Slightly towards canon since owned P&S.

From where will you be buying?

Online/Local store

Any specific features you need?

Anything else you would like to tell us?

Currently using Note 3 as the primary camera

Check out the hourly deals on snapdeal.I have seen it around 23k a couple of times.Also you can consider nikon D5200 with kit lens.It was available for 29k.

1200d body only + 18-200
Or if you are short on money and/or want more focal length, get a 18-55 + a tamaron 70-300

That lens is cheap.

Last edited:
1200d body only with sigma 18-300 lens would be the perfect for beginners imo.
You can also go with nikon body only with the sigma lens option too.

1200d body only with sigma 18-300 lens would be the perfect for beginners imo.
You can also go with nikon body only with the sigma lens option too.

Applause for inventing an all new lens.

Sigma is 18-200 or 70-300 or 18-250

Thanks for the suggestions. Body with kit is available at ebay for 19k but all the dual kit options are around 28k. It seems cheapest DSLR entry is with 1200D. I read that the 55-250 lens in the kit a good product & much better than Tamron 70-300 which has had bad reviews.

If I go in 30k bracket my options open up with 600D; D3300; D5200 + approx 10k for another lens ?
My fascination with the additional lens is due to zoom levels that I might need especially considering my usage pattern which involves travel. Rest would be casual photography involving events, infra pics, etc.

As a complete beginner I'm not able to decide to start right at the lowest rung of the ladder or with the above options ?? Kindly guide

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Body with kit is available at ebay for 19k but all the dual kit options are around 28k. It seems cheapest DSLR entry is with 1200D. I read that the 55-250 lens in the kit a good product & much better than Tamron 70-300 which has had bad reviews.

If I go in 30k bracket my options open up with 600D; D3300; D5200 + approx 10k for another lens ?
My fascination with the additional lens is due to zoom levels that I might need especially considering my usage pattern which involves travel. Rest would be casual photography involving events, infra pics, etc.

As a complete beginner I'm not able to decide to start right at the lowest rung of the ladder or with the above options ?? Kindly guide

What benifit does the 18-55 and 55-250 give you that the 18-200 doesnt?

Infact the 55-200 is an additional headache to carry an extra lens + to keep changing the lens.

In that case it doesnt make sense to get the body only.
You may as well get the 18-55 and gift it to someone. :p

And yes, that is a great DSLR at a great price, first get it, then you can always upgrade the lens later.

Last edited:
In that case it doesnt make sense to get the body only.
You may as well get the 18-55 and gift it to someone. :p

And yes, that is a great DSLR at a great price, first get it, then you can always upgrade the lens later.

Haha true. Any options for 18-200mm lens for canon ??

A wiser option is to find a good used camera body from any forums or online reliable sites people selling, learn the tricks of the game, play around with it; see if you really have a taste to carry such gear around where ever you want to go or shoot. If its your calling then invest in a good body later on and carry the lenses you have already got and off load the older camera body to people who want to start new or sell it off too!

Most of the jargon have to be understood and experimented upon! You dont make it to be a photographer over night, DSLR is all about tinkering around and getting the right light, exposure ..... and finally the picture what you had in mind!

You can find a used Canon 450D/ 500D/ 550D/ 1000D/ 1100D or from Nikon D3000/ D3100;
No point going in for fancy stuff so early

I wouldnt suggest anything that is best in either of the camps, it all depends on how fast you learn and know to change things on the fly!!
Good luck clicking!

#1 its announces
#2 its available from next month only
#3 not even sure when it will come to india
#4 its 579$
#5 thats a little too much for a beginner, aint it?
The point being that I did not invent a new lens (sigma did). and 18-300 is not too much for a beginner but in fact it is the perfect lens. I know you dont want to accept that you got burned but we can argue all day about its relevance to a beginner.

Back