Budget Above 25K New flagship. Android or iOS?

raxy

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 50k (can go higher)

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Nope.

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required front and back

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android but want to try iOS too.

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Internet browsing, camera, watching videos, gaming.

10. Any other requirements?
A: nope.

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Sony Xperia Z & iPHONE 5

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. But the first decision you need to take is whether iPhone or android. Otherwise this discussion can go in a complete different direction. If budget ain't an issue, wait tonight for the Galaxy S4 unveil then you have plethora of flagship choices including Xperia Z, iPhone 5, Galaxy S4, Lumia 920, HTC One and Butterfly.

Get an android if you want a more advanced OS. iPhone if you want a more restricted and closed in ecosystem.
Lol, just kidding... But seriously.. Get an android... Definitely consider the s4... We're just moments away from it being unveiled..
The Xperia Z is kind of a hit or miss... Its a beautiful and classy phone that's IP certified with a rugged build and really good specs. But its camera is not as good as most other cameras out there according to reviews from different sites.
Another phone you may want to consider is the HTC One. It looks pretty impressive and specs are awesome.
I would've gotten an S4 or the HTC One for sure.

Wont' recommend the Xperia Z at all. The screen and camera are average and it gets scratched too easily.

If you can wait for the Galaxy S4 or the HTC one launch then would suggest waiting.
Else, go for the iPhone 5..

Get an android if you want a more advanced OS. iPhone if you want a more restricted and closed in ecosystem.
Lol, just kidding... But seriously.. Get an android... Definitely consider the s4... We're just moments away from it being unveiled..
The Xperia Z is kind of a hit or miss... Its a beautiful and classy phone that's IP certified with a rugged build and really good specs. But its camera is not as good as most other cameras out there according to reviews from different sites.
Another phone you may want to consider is the HTC One. It looks pretty impressive and specs are awesome.
I would've gotten an S4 or the HTC One for sure.

Seems that you're an iPhone hater, very possibly coz you yourself own an Android. Well thats not a first! Xperia Z is a big NO-NO, now your option being the brand new Samsung Galaxy S4 / Apple iPhone 5 / HTC One / Samsung Note 2. S4 could make you wait a bit but looking at the specs seems as a good buy! If you need it immediately iPhone 5 anyday before any phone out there in the market as it beats the crap out of any competitors present! Trust me an iPhone not only looks sexy, but is blazing fast.

Trust me an iPhone not only looks sexy,

I was under a similar impression until I held an iPhone 5 black model in my hands. Next to the iPhone 4S white I was comparing it with, it looked CHEAP. That must be a first for an Apple product. Not to mention the retina display didn't look as vibrant as the Lumia 920.

And btw the person whose phone it was, was a bit apprehensive all the while the phone was in my hands as I have butter fingers. Pens and phones drop out of my hands as I keep rotating them. I was told that the back is delicate. Not sure.

I was under a similar impression until I held an iPhone 5 black model in my hands. Next to the iPhone 4S white I was comparing it with, it looked CHEAP. That must be a first for an Apple product. Not to mention the retina display didn't look as vibrant as the Lumia 920.

And btw the person whose phone it was, was a bit apprehensive all the while the phone was in my hands as I have butter fingers. Pens and phones drop out of my hands as I keep rotating them. I was told that the back is delicate. Not sure.

Well, there were a few people i did hear about coming out with reviews like that. I have also heard the fact that the phone tends to bend from the middle when you sit and the phone is in your pocket while you're wearing jeans, some cases where they have also reported of it also suggesting of cracked screens. As far as looks are concerned i myself have a white 4S at the moment and i do have few of my friends who own a 5 and i compared, i loved the look especially the edges were great! It was thin, it was light and imo the black one looks better than the white one. You finding it cheap is the first which has come to my notice and i have never heard it from anyone before, and for the people i know they are pretty much happy with the device they have and have said that there are a few apps that they have tested to be working better on their iPhone than in any competitive Androids present in the market right now. Opinions differ from person to person, and im not saying you're wrong. I'm just sharing my point of view and what i did come across!

Wow. Such an absurd suggestion.
OP, since you have a pretty luxurious budget, I suggest you go with some
High end android which might probably be under 40k. Spend the remaining money on buying an iPod touch to experience iOS. In this way you might be able to experience both OSes and will be a better judge yourself. Buy what you feel rather than following any absurd comments from their respective fanboys.
Personally a iPhone user and the only reason I have it is because it satisfies what all I require and while I have used android, I cannot judge that since I used low end devices where android sucked for me.
In contrast, iOS will still work well on a 10k 4th gen iPod touch so you will be able to get unbiased review yourself.

Seems that you're an iPhone hater, very possibly coz you yourself own an Android.

No. Not a hater at all. I've used both, and both have their uses. I could go on about how both of them have different advantages, but android has evolved a lot from before. iOS still looks the same.. If you want to customize your phone and tinker around with your phone, android phones are better anyday. Android has much better OS integration, it has awesome widgets, a homescreen with a lot of pages, apps to change the phone's UI and make it look like a completely different phone etc. You can set default apps for files (you cant do this on iOS 6 but this feature has been there on android for a very long time. If you open a link from the mail app, it directly opens safari, or if its a place, it opens apple maps etc). You get a lot of apps that can increase the functionality of an android phone. And if you root, its even better!! The iPhone has really good hardware. The phone feels good, nice parts and one amazing camera. I think the only android out right now to actually challenge the iPhone in these terms in the HTC One which looks brilliant.
A first time iOS user will never know what they may be missing out on on android so give it a chance.

@S.H.A.D.E

But then just saying iOS lacks this and that compared to android is not a right way to make suggestions. If it is a user like me who does not care about customization and such and my requirements will be filled by iPhone then I can go for iPhone.
So iOS is not really for people who are into experimenting with their devices and wanting widget and all but for someone like me I am personally fine with iOS and as of now can live with its restrictions and can get around with jailbreak (some at least).

Last edited by a moderator:
@raksrules
I admit that my first post was a little too conclusional.
But in my next post I suggested that iPhone's build quality and camera quality is much better. iOS is also very very simple to use. I'm just giving the OP an idea of what to expect from both ecosystems.
Also, most people don't have the technical expertise to jailbreak iPhones. Some people just want a good out of the box experience.
Features like being able to select default apps and also system wide integration are soo useful.
Also, rooting on android provides a lot more features than jailbreaking.
If someone gets an iOS device first and likes it, he may never ever use an android. He would never know the advantages of the above mentioned features.
You may be fine, you said you owned a low end android device. Once you use a good android phone, you'll know what Im trying to say.
But that's just my opinion though. :)

Thanks for the reply guys.......Tried Sony Xperia Z yesterday and i am really impressed. Really disappointed by galaxy S4 as it looks almost identical to S3.
So, it all comes down to Either Xperia Z (in love with it) or iphone 5.

Also one of my friend is thinking of purchasing LG VU 2 from south korea (i think its not released yet in india) for around 20k. Is it worth it??

If you really like the Xperia Z go for it. HTC One is a good option but the release is scheduled for 3rd week of april. Sooo I don't know..
About the VU 2, I doubt it will work here in India, because its specifically for the Korean Market..

@raksrules
I admit that my first post was a little too conclusional.
But in my next post I suggested that iPhone's build quality and camera quality is much better. iOS is also very very simple to use. I'm just giving the OP an idea of what to expect from both ecosystems.
Also, most people don't have the technical expertise to jailbreak iPhones. Some people just want a good out of the box experience.
Features like being able to select default apps and also system wide integration are soo useful.
Also, rooting on android provides a lot more features than jailbreaking.
If someone gets an iOS device first and likes it, he may never ever use an android. He would never know the advantages of the above mentioned features.
You may be fine, you said you owned a low end android device. Once you use a good android phone, you'll know what Im trying to say.
But that's just my opinion though. :)

I am not into jailbreaking or rooting. I have used S2 before but it got stolen:arghh: .Then bought xperia sola for 2-3 months The thing is i just wanted to try iOS out.

Back