Car & Bike New Honda Jazz vs new Suzuki Swift

papul1993

Disciple
Sorry for starting yet another thread. I have totally ditched the idea of buying the Toyota Etios Liva. This month has been very exciting for the auto industry. Two new launches in the hatchback segment were seen this month. And now I am at a fix as to buy which one. Some of you may remember that I said that the Jazz doesn't fit in our garage. But we are planning to expand it because the new Jazz at less than 7 lakhs is very tempting. But I don't want to make a rushed decision and want the help of all the experienced Techenclave members to recommend me which one of the two cars (new Maruti Suzuki Swift or new Honda Jazz)to buy. I will buy only the topend version of either cars. And we are planning to buy it before the Puja holidays start so need to book in a few weeks.
Thanks in advance.

If you're buying a SWIFT, buy only the diesel version. Its an absolute bash to drive

If you're buying any petrol hatch, and jazz fits your bill... then close your eyes and jazz yourself up!

The space of a sedan, magic seats, super silent i-VTEC, and at last... it's a Honda damit!

It's a steal @ 5.5 lacs!

+1 for Honda anyday...you cant even compare a swift or a maruti with honda when you have that budget in hand.

Myself using honda city i-vtec since 6 trusted yrs and no words to describe it mate....have driven accord & civic and they r gem as against toyota or similar range cars. :)

Like other members have said you are taking about "HONDA....." So why even think about it for the price. Honda cars are capable of running even beyond 200,000 miles. My sister drives Honda Fit which is US version of Jazz and let me tell you it is an stunning car. Looks are exquisite and sporty. Handling is just superb and fun at 60 mph in freeway ramps. It is really fun to drive on the Interstate at 80 mph. It seems to drive better than my V6 car, which in theory is faster than Fit :( But I just love the way Fit handles. Gas mileage is also excellent.

Absolutely recommend Jazz/Fit against anything in its class. Other than Honda, I can only recommend Toyota.

+100 to Honda Jazz like i told u in the first place earlier, its a no-brainer at this price ! :D Although ANSS also ain't too bad but consider only if u wish to save 50-60 K, and also for low maintainence costs backed by super strong MASS.

On a second front, i feel Maruti has lost on the pricing front of the ANSS ZDi. Its overpriced.
EDIT : Jazz now incorporates the reclining rear seats which is surely a boon in terms of comfort.

hmm.... Ok, Jazz doesn't have climate control but it can be ignored. How is the A.C btw? It is powerful enough for Indian summers? Its fuel efficiency isn't something that I like(less than 16 kmpl). Plus a Honda can't be serviced anywhere. A maruti on the other hand can be worked upon in almost any garage in India.

^ May be because it IS a Maruti :D Even otherwise, Suzuki isn't really considered a big name when it comes to cars, definitely nowhere near Toyota or even Honda for that matter.

papul1993 said:
hmm.... Ok, Jazz doesn't have climate control but it can be ignored. How is the A.C btw? It is powerful enough for Indian summers? Its fuel efficiency isn't something that I like(less than 16 kmpl). Plus a Honda can't be serviced anywhere. A maruti on the other hand can be worked upon in almost any garage in India.

Common this isnt a point to compare. If you want a car which can be serviced or repaired at any roadside shop only to add more trouble to your car then go with maruti.:p I have some friends who said "its better to go for an indian car as it can be serviced or maintained by any garagewala and parts are also cost low cheap and readily available"

I just gave a nod and nothing more. But belive me, all of them sold their marutis becoz the cars condition went from bad to worse due to the above factor. Moreover, they bought their car after me and within 4 yrs they had to buy a new car, now they have bought a hyundai, chevrolet & honda. :bleh:

Honda has atleast 5 service centers in every major city so it wont be any problem for you to find one. More info. can be obtained from the sales showroom itself.

Climate control isnt necessary as far as we dont live in below -0 or up +50 degree temps. Also dont worry about the cooling, you are bound to get chilly if the ac is set even at 3rd-mid level itself. Still its upto you how cooler u want. BTW why dont you get a test drive and get the real experiences rather than asking here? :S

The jazz lacks torque. The pickup is seriously sad.
At d end of the day its a jazz and not a city mate... V own a city and accord and have tested a jazz. Do consider the swift diesel as mentioned by someone above. I'd pick it up any-day before a jazz..

I don't think we should buy a diesel car because our monthly running is less less than 80 kms. We don't drive much but we want the that little we drive to be luxurious and comfortable. I just don't like its fuel efficiency. Also the beige interiors of the Jazz select look much better than the black interiors of the Jazz X. Seriously Honda what were you thinking? :(

ronit said:
BTW why dont you get a test drive and get the real experiences rather than asking here? :S

I have done test drives of both the older jazz and swift.

I am now worrying about whether the low fuel efficiency combined with soaring petrol prices will make the car almost impossible to drive in the future, say 3 years from now. Everything else is awesome.

kauzy said:
Whats wid "Comparing Maruti with Honda".. Its a suzuki ffs.. :S

Saw Matiz on your signature. We own a ten year old matiz that has run just 42000 kms. Should we sell it and buy a new car or keep using it for another 2-3 years?

techpal said:
its a no brainer. JAZZ all the way if u want petrol one. Just got mine booked today.

Congrats mate. Which model did you book? And what did your dealer say that the expected delivery time is?

@edge111hussain

For the poor pickup of the Jazz, remember Honda machines are high revving, and do not deliver much juice below 2500 (or even 3000 rpm). In fact even a diesel (rev. limits about 4000-4500 as against 6500-6700 on Honda) really need to be driven enthusiastically as they seldom have much torque below 1800-2000 rpm.

I am confused between these two cars too. The Suzuki Swift Diesel top end is almost similarly priced as the new Jazz top end model. Both have almost the same features with Honda having a bit more like the automatic ORVM mirrors. But I am just inclined towards the Swift because of the cost of diesel and the cheaper ASS. But the Jazz is definitely more spacious, luxurious and of course its a Honda.

New Swift ZXi or Jazz (plain/Select/X)- i am confused too. :(

To pay 5.81L+taxes for fully loaded Swift petrol vs 6.8-7.2L on-Road Mumbai for Jazz Select/X. :S

agantuk said:
^ May be because it IS a Maruti :D Even otherwise, Suzuki isn't really considered a big name when it comes to cars, definitely nowhere near Toyota or even Honda for that matter.

That ways we shudn't be buying the Jag or even the land rover because it is Tata- and w/e.. and we all know how shitty tata cars are.. :p

papul1993 said:
I too am inclined towards the Swift diesel. Though I am not sure if I should buy a diesel car.

If you drive the swift diesel, you'll not even touch the jazz.. ;)

but with a monthly running of less than 80 kms and the staying idle for weeks sometimes, should I buy a diesel car? I am ignoring the extra price and the fact that I wont be able to fully recover the premium that I paid for diesel car.

aradhakr84 said:
Like other members have said you are taking about "HONDA....." So why even think about it for the price. Honda cars are capable of running even beyond 200,000 miles. My sister drives Honda Fit which is US version of Jazz and let me tell you it is an stunning car. Looks are exquisite and sporty. Handling is just superb and fun at 60 mph in freeway ramps. It is really fun to drive on the Interstate at 80 mph. It seems to drive better than my V6 car, which in theory is faster than Fit :( But I just love the way Fit handles. Gas mileage is also excellent.

Absolutely recommend Jazz/Fit against anything in its class. Other than Honda, I can only recommend Toyota.

The Honda Fit in the US has a 1.5 litre engine compared to the 1.2 in India.

I have driven a friend's Jazz for like 15-20 minutes and here are my observations:

1) Looks, I love the looks. Much better looking than a swift (as per me), and less common considering every 2nd car on the roads is a swift.

2) Space, Beats the swift hands down in the space department. If you are on the heavier/bigger side then this makes much more sense.(Just for reference, I am 6' and of heavy built but I was very comfortable in the Jazz).

Also, the back seat is not Claustrophobic like that of the Swift, the windows are huge and you can feel the comfort.

Boot space of 384 litres, dont think any hatchback in India has that.

3) Drive quality: The drive quality is a bit of a bummer. The suspension is stiff and you WILL be able to feel the bumps on the road. I would have expected a better suspension from Honda.

4) City Driving: Excellent for City driving, effortless. However, the 1.2 lt Engine is clearly not a right fit for a vehicle of this size. The 1.5 lt engine on this would have been ideal. You can feel the lack of power when you try to overtake and for making quick getaways. That said, the engine produces 90BHP (much more than the Petrol and diesel swift). IMHO, the engine is a bit underpowered. Low Ground clearance is a pain. If you live in a city where there arent many steep speed breakers then go for this with the eyes closed. However, if you are going to encounter a lot of steep speed breakers then this will be an issue (I scraped the bottom against a speed breaker during the drive).

The new avatar of the Jazz has USB and Aux which was missing in the earlier versions of the Jazz (and these were selling for 6.7 Lacs post the 1.6L discount, a blasphemy on the part of Honda to not give basic functions like USB audio in a "Premium" hatch. However they have fixed that in the facelifted jazz with USB and steering mounted controls standard across all variants).

I have not driven the MS Swift so cannot comment about it. But in my opinion MS will never be a "Premium" brand, I look at it more as a "VFM" option. So that said, Take a long test drive of both the vehicles and have a look and feel of the interiors and then decide.

In my opinion, if you are looking for a Petrol hatch and there is not a major price difference between the variants of Swift and the Jazz that you are considering, go for the Jazz. However, have a thorough test drive and decide for yourself. All the best.

Back