New ideas for Social Work

Hello Everyone,

We, a bunch of students (Engg/mba) of different colleges have come together and share a interest of doing some sort of social work so that we can serve society from our side.

Some of us in group (including me) share the opinion of doing something different from the general league of social work.
Honestly speaking, every other group/society here is distributing old clothes/blankets or teaching poor kids etc. If we dont do it, someone else would do it from our side. Thus, these jobs doesnt really thrives the excitement in us.
We are looking from something innovative, less explored kind of work which could drive the max potential from the young guys of our group and motivate more like us who share similar thinking.

Thus, I would request you guys to share some ideas for the purpose. Please dont hesitate in posting thinking your idea would get stolen. This could be your part of a social job :)

PS : I live in Jabalpur. It is a moderately sized developing city.

One good idea is to set up your own society store for the area. Take a survey from neighbors as to what they will like to get at good prices, like vegetables, rice, etc. Then, go to your local mandi and get it at wholesale prices. Even with cost of transport added, it should turn out cheaper than what you would get from stores or local sabjiwala's.

Teach science and rationality, and make people shun superstition and all other rituals.

Educating the poor and imparting them with thinking skills are the only things that will help them life-long, even when social workers are not present.

Teach Computers. Word, excel, powerpoint, browsing, data entry. These are easily exploitable skill that will make them employable.

> Get people to donate some PC's.
> Find a place where you can teach them.
> Work out a syllabus for them with properly defined outcomes/skills you expect to imbibe by the end of the training
> Take a few demo classes. Once you know how they stand,
> Find friends willing to help. Share your insights, give them critical training to be able to help the kids. (Or alternative get an expert. There are a bazillion programmers)

You can also seek help from some veteran MAD volunteers if you know some from different cities. I dont know if they function in Jabalpur.

There is a lot of research to do. And I can help you in strategic planning in case you are interested. 3+Years of experience in the social sector. :)

Who not Educate teens and kids about respecting womens :)

I had visited jabalpur 2-3 times, and i don't think women do get respected there much :(

or you can organize some weekly tournaments for the society kidz :D

Get them physically fit , also avoiding them from tv/pc junks :p

Good initiative by OP. Hats off!

Do thing first come simple! Let them to feel pleasure of life. Based on age group, you may arrange visit to shopping mall, cultural activity in club, arrange for good movie show(like SDM), inspired play show, airport, grand lunch/dinner at levis place, importance of cleaniness & honesty, outdoor play tournament & so on...

For sure, at the top, teaching is first which are doing by others as you said in your post.

Thank you everyone for sparing time and posting your ideas in thread..
Please keep sharing anything that strikes in your mind :)

One good idea is to set up your own society store for the area. Take a survey from neighbors as to what they will like to get at good prices, like vegetables, rice, etc. Then, go to your local mandi and get it at wholesale prices. Even with cost of transport added, it should turn out cheaper than what you would get from stores or local sabjiwala's.
Thanx for the idea.. Dont know if our rich neighbors needs this but similar could be applied to meet the need of poors

Teach science and rationality, and make people shun superstition and all other rituals.
Educating the poor and imparting them with thinking skills are the only things that will help them life-long, even when social workers are not present.
Completely agree with you.. We also have same thinking and would also be promoting it

Teaching ? Just teaching math, science, programming etc will be a great idea !
Honestly speaking, every social group here is teaching.. However we definitely look forward to apply some creative methods to current teaching models.
We have been able to get the list of rural places around the town which still dont have primary schools.

Teach Computers. Word, excel, powerpoint, browsing, data entry. These are easily exploitable skill that will make them employable.
Thats surely a good idea to look forward for.. I realized how bad people have knowledge of computer when I went to college. Half of my collegues didnt knew how to switch on and off a computer.

Who not Educate teens and kids about respecting womens :)
I had visited jabalpur 2-3 times, and i don't think women do get respected there much :(
Thanx for opinion but cant agree with you.. Have been here since birth and never felt so.
People here do respect women. Its just that beliefs like ghoonghat etc are still in the town.

animal ngo. feeding, medical care, sterilisation of strays. there probably wont be many such ngo's in the non-metros?
We have an ngo working for starys here. Though I love animals, not looking forward for the stray thing.
However, I am quite an environment and wildlife lover and would love to make a move for working on it. Any idea how we can work of nature?

Good initiative by OP. Hats off!
Do thing first come simple! Let them to feel pleasure of life. Based on age group, you may arrange visit to shopping mall, cultural activity in club, arrange for good movie show(like SDM), inspired play show, airport, grand lunch/dinner at levis place, importance of cleaniness & honesty, outdoor play tournament & so on...
Thank you for motivating :)
In your post do you mean arranging visits etc for the poor ones who are out of reach?

To all - Any ideas how we can work for nature?

Thank you for motivating :)
In your post do you mean arranging visits etc for the poor ones who are out of reach?

To all - Any ideas how we can work for nature?
Watch & sustain insects, birds & animals lives. Plantation is unique idea, particulary vegetable plants, fruit plants surround to poor living area.

if you are going to start things from scratch enormous amount of time will be wasted in organisation, admin, budgeting, liabilities etc. not a good option for just a bunch of students. concentrate in your studies. complete graduation successfully. start a company and create jobs.
or volunteer for an NGO, as they already have the infrastructure and operational facilities, you guys dont have to worry about those parts. be wary of NGOs though, find the ones that do real work on ground and not just usurp the money.

'innovative, less explored kind of work' and 'Any ideas how we can work for nature?'
using technology to solve basic livelihood problems like potable water supply etc and making it affordable
marketing products manufactured by self-help groups in remote places,
implementing and educating local farmers about sustainable agriculture, organic farming methods to avoid harmful and costly fertilisers/pesticides etc

_

share a part of what you have got/acquired! simple. this can be anything - your knowledge (science, spirituality, technology, physical-disciplines, etc.); your wealth (using some amount of money to set-up essential services for the needy); your spirit (motivation, encouragement); anything you deem fit! after all, whatever one acquires in one's life is not all by oneself, but through contributions from others, as all of our lives are woven together, and hence, what you acquire, you must share (seems like big talk, but is infact quite simple and applicable!!) :)

where i live, in that district, there's one tribal village that's sort of adopted by medical practitioners, who visit the village in groups every weekend, and assist the villagers in whatever way they can, like in education, service, etc. also, Pune has a youth-forum, members of which recently gifted a computer to a school in one of the villages of the Pune district and will also provide village-children computer-education. RSS-workers too invite people to see and contribute to their work in tribal areas in their schools, etc. as is evident, collective-efforts is what yields good results, and you already have numbers with you. you may either get small children in your area (children of domestic-workers, or even your own society's children to teach them some good skills and knowledge), as well as move to villages or tribal areas in/near Pench/Rookhad and other areas nearby whenever you get time. many ideas and options. all the best!

Back