Budget 31-40k New laptop for dad

masterkd

Disciple
My dad bought a Lenovo G50-80 back in Oct 2015. But the laptop screen got black patches and became extremely slow. So need a new one.
  • What's your Budget? 40K. can stretch max 50K if absolutely necessary.
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? web surfing, office usage(Creating documents, pdf, presentations), Casual Gaming(games like limbo, plant vs zombies, Titan Quest, Diablo )
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? 15.6" preferred, max can go down to 14"
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? My dad's experience with Lenovo is very good so he wants to stick to Lenovo, Bad experience with HP back in 2015. Liek to stick to Lenovo, Dell, Asus. No Acer, MSI please.
  • Any other considerations? (e.g Battery life; Widescreen/non-widescreen; Glossy/Matte screen etc.) Like to use it long term, so good build quality is essential. Also would like to have a good full HD display. Also upgradable RAM.
Considering below. Please provide use advice. Thanks.
Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 1 AMD Ryzen 5 5500U
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 5500H RTX 2050

How is Honor laptop. Specs looks good.
HONOR MagicBook X16 Pro 2024 i5-13420H 16GB/512GB

Last edited:
Review Post at Amazon About HONOR Service Center

Jay Binod Singh
1.0 out of 5 stars My review after using 20 days
Reviewed in India on 7 October 2023
Size: 12th Gen/16GB RAM- 14-InchStyle Name: 2023Verified Purchase
My initial Review on product was very good but now i am downgrading it. I have issue with another Honor Laptop and connected to Brand for Service center in India but its 14 days passed and even after so many reminder. I dont have response from Brand that they have service center in India. Connected to amazon for solutions with all details. They have written to Seller for this. if there is no reply from seller on service center then there is big worry and i have already raised concern. Its Laptop and without Service no value of product.

Last edited:
I think you should go with a laptop with an integrated ryzen iGPU as you will only be planning on casual gaming which can easily be handled by a 760/80m iGPU and it will also provide you a great battery life as the ryzen processors are much more power efficient than their intel core counterparts, you might not be able to find such a laptop under 50k but I found one for 60k at lenovo and it seem like a good deal imo considering longevity of the device. But keep in mind that the naming scheme of the 7000 series ryzen processors is really pad just make sure that the third number in the name is a 4 like a ryzen 7x4x. The one that I found:

https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/p/lapt...deapad-slim-5-gen-9-(14-inch-amd)/len101i0099

Get this & add extra RAM later for a non-gaming laptop

Get this for a gaming laptop, GPU performance is 15% or so inferior to 70-80W 3050 gaming laptops. Good enough for casual gaming. Add extra RAM later.

Take call on gaming vs non-gaming laptop. Thinkpad's iGPU is powerful enough for very light gaming for sure. ThinkPad will have better build quality in general. Use card offers of the sale, so take call ASAP.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestion.

Get this & add extra RAM later for a non-gaming laptop

Get this for a gaming laptop, GPU performance is 15% or so inferior to 70-80W 3050 gaming laptops. Good enough for casual gaming. Add extra RAM later.

Take call on gaming vs non-gaming laptop. Thinkpad's iGPU is powerful enough for very light gaming for sure. ThinkPad will have better build quality in general. Use card offers of the sale, so take call ASAP.
Dad did not like the Thinkpad design. is HP good now a days. None of the HP product (Laptop, printer) last more than 2 years in our household before the Lenovo laptop.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestion.

Dad did not like the Thinkpad design. is HP good now a days. None of the HP product (Laptop, printer) last more than 2 years in our household before the Lenovo laptop.
That pic is wrong on amazon btw

Honestly nothing to dislike on a laptop design & 50k is a low budget by US/EU standard (these are $500 laptops which is really cheap there in US & you can be stingy on design on $1000+ laptops). Anyways, your call.

is HP good now a days
I myself have been using an HP laptop since 2021 and there have been a few issues:
1. The mute key on the keyboard stopped working.
2. For a while the display would automatically dim after a few minutes on maximum brightness but that solved itself so it might have been a software issue.
3. The touchpad has become a bit wonky, but I admit to being a bit heavy handed with it.
4. The battery life isn't great. It lasts only a couple of hours away from the wall but I think that is because of a small battery capacity in my model and the intel chipset in it.

And that is all. Apart from these it hasn't given me any major problems.

I think a really large factor in laptop purchases is the after sales service. I have not had the experience of getting an HP serviced myself, thankfully, but a common adage for HP is that it stands for Harassment Packard. YMMV etc., but I would look into ASS reviews before purchasing.

You may like Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 AMD Ryzen 7 4800U. I bought this Amazon refurbished for 40k last year and one of my best purchases. Thin and light, 8C/16T. great battery, twin m.2 ports to dual boot windows and Linux and has a strong iGPU too so it can run modern games at 1080p low too. The only thing is it does not have upgradable ram. ATB !!

I think a really large factor in laptop purchases is the after sales service. I have not had the experience of getting an HP serviced myself, thankfully, but a common adage for HP is that it stands for Harassment Packard. YMMV etc., but I would look into ASS reviews before purchasing.
Very true. Sadly for every brand there are numerous cases of extremely poor after sales service (read harassment). I guess luck is also a factor.

You may like Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 AMD Ryzen 7 4800U. I bought this Amazon refurbished for 40k last year and one of my best purchases. Thin and light, 8C/16T. great battery, twin m.2 ports to dual boot windows and Linux and has a strong iGPU too so it can run modern games at 1080p low too. The only thing is it does not have upgradable ram. ATB !!
can you please post image of laptop and invoice of same here?

Attachments

• Invoice.png
    Invoice.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Lenovo Yoga 4800U.jpg
    Lenovo Yoga 4800U.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Twin m.2 ports.jpg
    Twin m.2 ports.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 25
Back