Monitors new monitor-weird issue

surajspai

Disciple
Jan 24, 2010
hello,
recently i purchased a dell st2220l monitor.assembled it just yesterday-fixed the stand,plugged in the cables,fired it up.and am enjoying the improvement from a 17" crt.
.i am using the provided dvi cable to connect it up to my pc.i dont have a discrete gpu and am on the integrated igp.today,i noticed a weird issue.i have been mostly on firefox,as i cant play any games now.

i noticed a nagging issue.if i look across the screen too fast or scroll,there is a faint but noticeable mesh-like effect.it is as if there is a thin mat of diagonal lines on the screen,only when i am scrolling or moving my eyes.
is this a issue?with the monitor?or the cable?or the gpu?i left the monitor at stock setting,except for changing the mode(colour) to custom rgb.
how do i fix this?first time i'm noticing this on a monitor,and its my first lcd monitor.
kindly advice.

the_one

Disciple
Oct 13, 2011
had a similar issue in my dell st2320l then it stared blinking after few days so got a replacement monitor a refurbished one now no problem.

surajspai

Disciple
Jan 24, 2010
the stock dell dvi cable.i noticed this problem only while using firefox.
changed to the vga cable,still same issue.on the futuremark forums,i saw a similar thread which says its seen only when one sits too close to the monitor. @the_one,started blinking?i dont see any flicker or blink of any sort.
besides,my monitor is just 2 days old!havent even taken off the plastic covering!i dont want a used refubished piece!:lemmings:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2012
Mumbai , Maharashtra
changed to the vga cable,still same issue.on the futuremark forums,i saw a similar thread which says its seen only when one sits too close to the monitor. the_one,started blinking?i dont see any flicker or blink of any sort.
besides,my monitor is just 2 days old!havent even taken off the plastic covering!i dont want a used refubished piece!:lemmings:

Till 3 months you are entitled to a new piece in replacement , then after 3 months you get a refurbished one .
Mine conked off in the 1st month , the female operator was trying to fool me into a refurbished one . But its a dell policy , till 3 months you get a new one , but you have to demand it .
One thing i dont understand is why dont you go back to the seller and ask for replacement ? . If he is saying no dell is always there .

the_one

Disciple
Oct 13, 2011
^ And i thought it was 21 days from the mail i received from dell support.

@ surajspai it was not blinking had horizontal moving lines from bottom to top of the screen just like in CRT monitors.

surajspai

Disciple
Jan 24, 2010
i dont know much about lcd monitors,so i posted this.i dont even know if mine is a real problem or if all 2220l's are like this.
i manged to get hold of a U2311 monitor,and i doesnt show that effect.i also took a look at a hp 18.5" monitor and see that the pixel blocks are seen there,only they are vertical instead of the slant lines i see.i was expecting a near perfect picture as i see on crt's.

also,to claim warranty,i just need the serial number of the monitor or do i need the order code from the dealer to get service from dell?

surajspai

Disciple
Jan 24, 2010
better still,is there a utility to test a monitor?something which will tell me if the performance is not as it should be?

the_one

Disciple
Oct 13, 2011
to claim warranty you need the serial no. & the invoice if you don't have the order no.
and there is a self test feature in the monitor itself by turning off the monitor and removing the data cable then turn on the monitor press and hold the 1st & 4th button in the panel till you see the colored background press 4th button to change the color, but i don't think its that useful.

Daredvil

Disciple
Jun 30, 2012
changed to the vga cable,still same issue.on the futuremark forums,i saw a similar thread which says its seen only when one sits too close to the monitor. @the_one,started blinking?i dont see any flicker or blink of any sort.

Try a different browser ,i had the smae problem with opera swithced to chrome and everything is allright

Last edited by a moderator:

Arjun

Skilled
Oct 21, 2005
Delhi
I just installed a new dell st2220l , and have the same issue, this wasnt there with my previous samsung 20" lcd , Also there are black borders on all four sides about 1-2 " wide , how do i get rid of them?

Is this mesh issue in all models or a defect?

- - - Updated - - -

Overscan in AMD CCC fixed the border issue & also the mesh effect is now slightly better, the viewing angles suck, my samsung had better viewing angles

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
the mesh effect might be due to improper refresh frequency. I think windows sets it to 59Hz. Make it 60Hz.

surajspai

Disciple
Jan 24, 2010
frequency-60hz.done
less,but im being picky(i paid for it right?!).so Arjun,you have the same issue too?how is it?my problem is,if i move towards or away from my monitor/or move my head,i see a momentary diagonal pixel pattern.an,the issue is more accented if greens are displayed.

Arjun

Skilled
Oct 21, 2005
Delhi
the mesh effect might be due to improper refresh frequency. I think windows sets it to 59Hz. Make it 60Hz.

Refresh rate is already 60 in control panel > Hardware & Sound > Display, where else in windows can i see the refresh rate?

- - - Updated - - -

frequency-60hz.done
less,but im being picky(i paid for it right?!).so Arjun,you have the same issue too?how is it?my problem is,if i move towards or away from my monitor/or move my head,i see a momentary diagonal pixel pattern.an,the issue is more accented if greens are displayed.

The mesh issue has become better after increasing the underscan slider in AMD CCC ( which i did to get rid of the black borders )

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
There's only one setting in Windows. If you guys are still getting the mesh effect, you can try changing the resolution to 1080p instead of 1080i in ATI Catalyst control center. This is under desktop and displays > desktop management > desktop properties. The refresh rate will be 60 in CCC by default.

Download the executable from this site and do a 1:1 pixel mapping test. If there is something wrong in display settings, the image will look weird. Probably you will need to play around with the monitors overdrive function (turn it off) or redo windows clear type or something.

Arjun

Skilled
Oct 21, 2005
Delhi
This is what the pixel mapping test looks like

qCtPu.jpg

The problem is not just the browser , i see it in videos ,when i am scrolling a web page , when a webpage is loading etc

surajspai

Disciple
Jan 24, 2010
well,you have posted a screen shot,not a photo of the output of the monitor.but the test on mine looks just the same.
, i see it in videos ,when i am scrolling a web page , when a webpage is loading etc
i have exactly the same issues.what am i doing wrong?

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
A 1:1 pixel alternates a black pixel with a white pixel. the screen should like like it has a very light grey background without any 'design' in it. By design i mean the image you posted here. You have scaled the image by a bit while posting it here and so the pattern has been distorted to look like a newspaper print pattern. If it looks like light grey like the text box menu background colour in this "Quick Reply" part of the page, then it is alright.

could any of you guys post what you can see by taking a camera picture? it would help a lot.