CPU/Mobo New MSI Mobo, broken on arrival

elvesbane

Disciple
Hey guys, I bought an MSI P55-GD65 from primeabgb (along with cpu and ram) a week ago, and just now unpacked the thing to replace my existing setup and upon inspection, noticed that a capacitor on the bottom left was hanging loose (!) It looked as though a small wire was barely holding the thing to the board.

As soon as I touched it, the thing came off, fell on the floor and rolled away (can't find it anymore) ! I experimentally touched (really, just touched) the identical looking cap next to it, and it too came loose. When I tried to leave it be, it came off the board as well.

Now I have a brand new mobo with two capacitors missing! :'(

Any advice on what I can do? Any chance of getting warranty on something like this? I'm afraid they might label this as physical damage or something and screw me over. :(

FYI, I went ahead and attached CPU and RAM and attempted to boot the system, and got no output to display.

I'd appreciate some advice.

elvesbane said:
Hey guys, I bought an MSI P55-GD65 from primeabgb (along with cpu and ram) a week ago, and just now unpacked the thing to replace my existing setup and upon inspection, noticed that a capacitor on the bottom left was hanging loose (!) It looked as though a small wire was barely holding the thing to the board.

As soon as I touched it, the thing came off, fell on the floor and rolled away (can't find it anymore) ! I experimentally touched (really, just touched) the identical looking cap next to it, and it too came loose. When I tried to leave it be, it came off the board as well.

Now I have a brand new mobo with two capacitors missing! :'(

Any advice on what I can do? Any chance of getting warranty on something like this? I'm afraid they might label this as physical damage or something and screw me over. :(

FYI, I went ahead and attached CPU and RAM and attempted to boot the system, and got no output to display.

I'd appreciate some advice.
Contact Primeabgb and tell them what happen.

Yeah. Its best if you speak to them, if nothing happens then speak to Gulbir as he sits most of the time in the service centre. Tell them that you're from TE and you got this board online, sadly this happened.

Ok guys, I've mailed primeabgb at the email addresses they've provided at their website.

I also sent them a photo of the damaged area of the board (see below)... The two sets of blank terminals where the caps used to be is in the center of the photo. The capacitor at the top of the image is the one that I didn't lose. This particular cap came from the right-side slot.

I guess I'll also call them up tomorrow, and see what happens. :-|

Yes, what they say is right... The board doesnt look like a new one atleast in the areas shown in the pic.. Dint you notice this OP ?

I dont think that MSI will mount a capacitor so close to the edge (I guess 1 inch right from the Screw Hole). The Diameter of the capacitor will reach the edge and become fragile. I guess that the capacitor has come off from some other place. Also it is quite possible that it is a repaired board and this is a spare capacitor left by the mechanic. Have you dared to test the board? Does the terminal where the capacitor is suspected to have been placed, have a hole? Looking at the legs of the capacitor and distance of the terminals I doubt it.

OMG ...till now it was seagate n wd war of failing hdds

now msi is an entrant for supplying faulty mobos...:S

guess what may be following next...

intel/amd supplying broken pin proccys :ashamed:

psu one rail absent :(

kb with NULL numpad :rofl:

& what not to think off.....:rolleyes:

ronit said:
OMG ...till now it was seagate n wd war of failing hdds

now msi is an entrant for supplying faulty mobos...:S

guess what may be following next...

intel/amd supplying broken pin proccys :ashamed:

psu one rail absent :(

kb with NULL numpad :rofl:

& what not to think off.....:rolleyes:
gpus with broken video connectors:rolleyes:

:rofl:

anfjavid said:
Yes, what they say is right... The board doesnt look like a new one atleast in the areas shown in the pic.. Dint you notice this OP ?
I'm guess its the lighting in the photo that's made the board look so... not new. Looked brand new to me, and packaging appeared to have been sealed properly.

matoind said:
I dont think that MSI will mount a capacitor so close to the edge (I guess 1 inch right from the Screw Hole). The Diameter of the capacitor will reach the edge and become fragile. I guess that the capacitor has come off from some other place. Also it is quite possible that it is a repaired board and this is a spare capacitor left by the mechanic. Have you dared to test the board? Does the terminal where the capacitor is suspected to have been placed, have a hole? Looking at the legs of the capacitor and distance of the terminals I doubt it.
Did test the board. The CPU Fan spun up, and the board lit up, but there was no output to display.

I also noticed something weird about these capacitors - Unlike normal ones which have pins that go through to the other side of the board, these two capacitors looked like they'd been glued to the surface - which might have been the reason they came off. I checked the rest of the board and found two more that were like these (not near the edge), but those didn't budge one bit when I poked them around.

Out of curiosity, I looked over my old Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, and that one didn't have a single glued-on capacitor on it - all were solid caps with pins that went through to the other side of the board. Does this MSI have bad build quality by design??

virus32win said:
It seems to be a manufacturing defect. Try luck with primeabgb.

In any case, I called up PrimeABGB a second time, and this time they told me to ship the board back to them and that, most probably, they'll be able to replace the unit. w00t! :clap: Hope they come through! ^_^

Guys, the pic taken is with flash of the camera. All mobos, gpus have some residue left on PCB during manufacturing process. It looks like dust when you take the picture using camera flash at certain angle. There is no reason to doubt the condition / age of the board. If you want your brand new stuff closely, you will notice this residue on PCB.

Anyway, it cane be caused due to error while packaging. The worker might have accidentally hit/held that part of the mobo causing the capacitors to come loose. Or it might be simple case of user trying to take our the mobo out of box while holding it where the capacitors are. Talk to prime, they should help you out with the RMA.
This is why you should always inspect your new parts as soon as you get it regardless whether you will be installing it immediately or at later date.

Back