New Network setup Airtel, BSNL and wifi...Help

setuniket

Disciple
Okay all thanks to Airtel crap FUP, I am buying new BSNL line for Unlimited useage.

The current setup is Beetel 220BX to Linksys WRT54G2 and beetel is used to dial up to internet. This is the present setup, now for future setup few questions

1)Which Modem I buy/rent from BSNL?
2)How do I utilise the current setup? I have to keep the Craptel as the number has been distributed and will act as back up whenever BNSL goes crazy!?
3)can any WRT54G2 be used to connect to another parallel internet line, any particular patch/fix/driver
4)I have to keep home wirefree, so the phone line will land up in a common point in the house, where currently Airtel line/ADSL/Wifi router is fixed, no wires allowed after that..! This is critical.!

Please help..
Thanks..

Setu Niket

I would recommend retaining the current Beteel 220BX modem from airtel. I am using the 220BX with a Buffalo Wifi Router.

If you cant retain the 220BX then opt for the Nokia Siemens from BSNL. Works just right.

I am retaning the current setup, this line will be in addition to the current config. The question is how do I connect to the wifi router(WRT54G2) so that it can be used simultaneously in the wifi network.

hey if u dont want to spend much so go for airtel wifi router .just exchange ur old modem with new wifi for just 1000rs .than use for bsnl

I already have wifi router. WRT54G2, what I need is bridge which can connect to both the connection using same wifi router..is that possible..

You can't use a single WRT54G2 with both your Airtel and your BSNL connection. If I'm not mistaken, that's what you want to do, right? You'll need a router with dual WAN ports in order to do that.

The cheapest Linksys router with dual WAN ports would be an RV042. But this is a wired router. You can use your existing WRT54G2 as a wireless access point in the event you get an RV042. The RV042 costs around 10k. Maybe a little more. Not sure.

Actually there is another way. Will work with your existing setup.

If i am guessing it right you need to make BSNL as your primary net connection and use Airtel as the backup.

A simple solution to this would be to put the Airtel connection on the LAn port and BSNL on the Wan. Configure Airtel connetion with PPPoE instead of bridged. And Use BSNL as PPPoE. Whensoever your connection is down you need to dial manually for the Airtel to work.

Hopefully you got the idea. But you will need to work on it a bit.

Back