CPU/Mobo New PC config

arun687

Skilled
hey guys,
i want to build a rig
my budget is around 20k for the entire cabinet, excluding graphic card which i plan to get later in few months
i'll not be overclocking, nor will i be upgrading for atleast another 3 yrs. so please suggest the best performance to price ratio

for procy im confused over these 3, please suggest

c2d e8400 <-- best stock clock speed among the 3, also 45nm
c2q q6600 <--- 8 mb of cache with 4 cores, but only 1066 fsb and 65nm
c2q q8200 <--- 4 cores with 45nm but only 4mb cache

im temted to go for the 45nm quad 8200 but its got 4mb of cache compared to q6600's 8mb, so considering the fsb and architecture difference, how will these 3 compare. I believe all the 3 are around the same price range of 8.5k, please correct me if im wrong.

please suggest a good cheap mobo too

my breakdown

<9k for procy
<3k for mobo
<2.5k for 2x2gb ram
around 5.5k for cabinet, smps, dvd writer, hdd

i want it for decent gaming, and other stuff like web, movies etc

i know that with i7 a socket change is coming and its the dead end for the socket 775 very soon, but then as i said, i wont be upgrading for like 3 yrs or so, when i'll upgrade, i'll look to upgrade the whole machine

i got no experience with AMD so i m biased towards intel and i prefer intel, however please post any AMD suggestions as well

Thanks!

CPU - AMD Phenom II X3 710 (Should be max 5.4k, price slashed to 99$)

Mobo - Biostar TA790GXB - 4.5k

RAM - Transcend 2x2GB 800MHz 2.3k

HDD - Seagate 7200.12 500GB 2.9k

SMPS - Corsair CX 400W 3k

Case - Zebronics Bijli 1.1k

DVD Writer - L.G. GH22NS30 SATA / Samsung SH-S22F SATA 1k

Total - 20k~

thanks a lot guys for the replies

please suggest in intel as well among the ones i mentioned

one doubt

instead of

can i go for an iball or zebronics case which comes along with a 400-500W PSU for about 2k? is that any bad?

The PSU that comes with these local brands suck to the core most of the time. They are low-efficiency and also do not provide stable voltages whcih results in HDD crashes, bad sectors, PC freezing up etc.

Don't try to save on the PSU. Its what gives juice to your whole system. Get a good one.

SidhuPunjab said:
^ AFAIK both X2 550 and X3 710 cost 99$, why buy X2 ?

I think that's only at newegg.. No official price cuts.

arun687 said:
thanks a lot guys for the replies

please suggest in intel as well among the ones i mentioned

one doubt

instead of

can i go for an iball or zebronics case which comes along with a 400-500W PSU for about 2k? is that any bad?

Intel config would serve no better .. X3 720 is much better than all the listed processor and on top of that you can overclock it to 3.7ghz easily :)

hey thanks a lot for all the replies guys

all u people seem to recommend AMD, so im giving it a serious thought..im actually really confused..i would love to have a quad core procy as i wont be upgrading for sometime..so

how about a AMD Phenom II X4 920?? and then cutting on a few other things like mobo, can it come within 22k maybe?? i wont be overclocking and stuff..so if mobo doesnt support all that also no prob..

what u guys think?

yea as i see, the x4 920 has got plenty of cache and good clock speed for a quad..so i would love to get it if i can make it in 22k...

can anyone tell me how much is it in lamington? and also a cheaper mobo for it? if i can get 920 as well as mobo within 12-13k, awesome..

DevinWolf said:
Newegg is only for USA. And prices here are way higher than there.

thats right, in newegg its for just $149 but direct conversion to indian rs wont be the correct price

i think its around 9k mark in india

so with a mobo like Asus M2N - VM DVI

i can get both for around 12-13k
and remaining 9-10k for other things as SidhuPunjab mentioned

does this sound sensible? am i missing something here?
i'll be putting in a reasonable graphic card in 3-5 months time

also please confirm once more this setup looks better than any of the intel quads i can get for similar price?

The 940BE is an AM2+ processor, the 720BE is an AM3 processor. I'm running the 720BE myself, and it's a really fantastic processor for the money. Sure it's a tri-core, but it's more than enough for your needs.

You might want to consider an AM3 mobo and DDR3, DDR3 is pretty cheap now. Not sure about prices of AM3 mobos though. And there is always the chance that your 720BE will be able to enable it's 4th core, if you have the right mobo (mine did :) )

Intel 775 is going to get old get AMD phenom II. It is beating the intel processors. They overclock a lot and are really fast. The only thing on which direct conversion applies is on processors.

@ Sidhu - thats a price cut that newegg gives on its items.the 720 is Rs. 7500 here. the 550 is Rs. 5500.

lxq_ikrana said:
The 940BE is an AM2+ processor, the 720BE is an AM3 processor. I'm running the 720BE myself, and it's a really fantastic processor for the money. Sure it's a tri-core, but it's more than enough for your needs.

You might want to consider an AM3 mobo and DDR3, DDR3 is pretty cheap now. Not sure about prices of AM3 mobos though. And there is always the chance that your 720BE will be able to enable it's 4th core, if you have the right mobo (mine did :) )

Cheapest AM3 mobo AFAIK is Biostar A3+ for 6K. gigabyte 770T still not released in India, I think. And you will not be able to unlock the 4th core on this one, it doesn't seem to have ACC in bios.

ok guys did some more research on amd....completely alien territory for me..

so it seems, am3 boards support ddr3 and am2+ boards dont..and x4 920 is am2+ cpu..so it cant run ddr3 or on am3 boards....

looking at the prices, am3 boards do cost a lot and so does ddr3..so as of now i cannot get ddr3 ram anyway..

and as im not going to upgrade anytime soon, am2+ seems to be the option for me with a better cpu with 4 cores...for a slight edge when the apps and games become optimized for multi cores..as im holding this pc for another 3 yrs atleast..

so imo....phenom II x4 920 cpu and a mobo around 3-3.5k...probably asus..

am i correct?

hey guys can someone suggest me the best mobo for p2 x2 550 under for around 3k. no overclocking, no sli or crossfire, nor ddr3. i just wanna make the proccy run. thats it! wat wud be my best bet?

Back