Budget 21-30k New PC for intermediate usage at home 20-25k

Hi all, I need suggestions for a new PC in the budget of around 20-25K, for home with intermediate usage. This is for my own personal build. I had posted a thread about this earlier, which can be found here :

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/new-build-advice-needed-new-129929/

The configuration had been finalized here, but I could not buy the PC because of several reasons.

Firstly, I was not able to find the appropriate components that were suggested here, like Corsair CX 430 V2 PSU, boxed Intel DH67CL-B3 motherboard, desired cabinet, etc. So, it set me back.

I also had queries and doubts about other stuff like RAM, and HDD, which I wanted to ask from lionking, a member of this forum living in Indore, but have not been able to meet him. Sometimes, he got busy, sometimes myself, and it kept getting postponed. All complicated.

Also, it was finalized that I would go for Intel motherboard, but lionking suggested to go for Asus motherboard, as they came with extra features like surge protection, crash free BIOS, etc. His suggestion made point, as my earlier PC had been fried up due to unknown problem. So, it was back to square one for me, because, now I had to find an appropriate Asus motherboard.

I had earlier tried to post here about my queries, but I did not get proper response, since the thread had got old. So, I was hesitant to post again. I was hesitant now also, and was in a fix as to how to go about this, but I decided to post as a new thread, which makes sense.

Also, with the coming of i3-3220, the configuration will change a bit too. Therefore, starting a new thread. Thanks to the great help in other of my threads, most of the things have been finalized, so I only need a help with a few components.

Here is the template :

1. Q: What is your budget?
    • 20-25K. Can put in some extras for good configuration, but budget is tight.
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel P-IV (condition unknown)
    • Motherboard - Intel D915GAV (fried)
    • GPU - None
    • RAM - Simmtronics 512 MB DDR * 2
    • Monitor - LG
    • PSU - UMAX (fried)
    • HDD - Seagate 160 GB SATA-I
  3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - LG
    • HDD - Seagate 160 GB SATA-I (will be used as secondary HDD)
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i3-3220
    • Motherboard - Any compatible motherboard
    • RAM - Corsair Value Select DDR3 4GB
    • HDD - Seagate 500 GB, or, WD Blue 500 GB
    • PSU - Corsair CX 430 V2, or, Cooler Master GX 450W
    • Cabinet - To be decided.
    • DVD-RW - Need advice
    • Keyboard/Mouse - Logitech combo. MK100/MK200. Anything better?
    • Mic/Headphone combo - Please suggest
    • Wifi Router - Please suggest if possible
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Indore
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching movies/videos - HD movies too
    • Video Conversion
    • DVD Ripping
    • CD Ripping
    • Programming on Visual Studio
  9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Open to suggestions
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Won't be gaming, atleast nothing resource hungry, or requiring a GPU.
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. None
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows XP
    • Maybe Windows 7
    • Maybe Linux

=====================================================

Covering components individually with notes :

CPU : i3-3220
I think it will be quite sufficient for my needs?

Motherboard : Open to suggestions. According to lionking, Asus motherboards have got good ASS here in Indore. So, please suggest Asus motherboards too. Are they good and reliable?
Please suggest Intel and Gigabyte motherboards too, so I have options available, in case suggested ones are not available.

RAM : Corsair value select DDR3 4 GB. What frequency to go for?

HDD : Seagate 500GB / WD Blue 500 GB
I would like to go for WD Blue, but the need of "partition alignment", because of advanced format, creates doubt in my mind. Win XP requires it.

PSU : Corsair CX 430 V2 , OR, Cooler Master GX 450W
I am still confused between two, as lionking says that ASS of Corsair is not good in Indore.

Cabinet : Cooler Master eLite 370 was suggested to me in the old thread, but that is not available here in Indore. Quite strange. Which one to go for then?
The shop suggested eLite 343, but that is a mini-tower, and also does not have USB 3.0 support.
Bitfenix Merc Alpha, and NZXT suggested in old thread, were also not available :(. I will ask again though.
I will also require a cabinet with USB 3.0 support, as many ports as possible.

DVD-RW : Which one to go for?

Keyboard/Mouse : Logitech MK100/200 were suggested in different thread. That will hold good here too, or anything better can be suggested? I use the computer a lot, so please suggest something sturdy and for long run.

Headphone/Mic : Please suggest.

Wifi Router : I need it to run my Android phone. Nothing too heavy usage. Home area is 1500 Sq ft. Need a router which has feature to clone MAC of PC, since my ISP binds IP with MAC to authorize.
I had tried Belkin N150 from my cousin, but found its signal weak.

CapriAnupam Go for this-
Intel i3 3220-7.5k OR Intel G630-4k
Gigabyte B75 D3H - 4.5k
Corsair Value ram 2x2gb- 1.2k
Segate 500GB 7200rpm - 3.5k
HP Boxed DVD RW-1k
Corsair CX430V2 - 2.4k
Logitech MK200 combo-0.7k
Nzxt Source 210- 2.4k OR CM 430 Elite-3k
Don't know much about router,About headphone Sennheiser HD201 OR HD202-1.7k would be be a good choice.
Hope this helps
happy19.gif

@CapriAnupam this is what I suggested earlier and am sticking with it --

Intel Core i3 3220 ~7500/-
GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x1 ~1100/- (add another 4GB module later)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~3500/-
Corsair CX v2430W OR Cooler Master GX450W ~2900/- (buy whichever is available, both are par for performance at that price though I think that the GX carries a 5-year cover)
Cooler Master eLite 311 Plus ~2500/- OR Cooler Master eLite 341 Plus / Black ~3200/- (without stretching your budget too much this should be the only cabinet which can offer you forward USB 3.0 ports, no other cabinet apart from these carry them at this price)

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Intel i3 3220-7.5k / Intel G630-4k
Corsair CX430V2 - 2.4k
Nzxt Source 210- 2.4k / CM 430 Elite-3k

Jakob he is Indore, he posted prices on the previous thread (which he has linked here too) and the emboldened are not available OR are priced higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you suggested the same components:p,Besides he can order it from FK or Elsewhere.
CapriAnupam this is what I suggested earlier and am sticking with it --
Intel Core i3 3220 ~7500/-
Corsair CX v2430W OR Cooler Master GX450W ~2900/- (buy whichever is available, both are par for performance at that price though I think that the GX carries a 5-year cover)
Cooler Master eLite 311 Plus ~2500/- OR Cooler Master eLite 341 Plus / Black ~3200/- (without stretching your budget too much this should be the only cabinet which can offer you forward USB 3.0 ports, no other cabinet apart from these carry them at this price)

Jakob he is Indore, he posted prices on the previous thread (which he has linked here too) and the emboldened are not available OR are priced higher.

Well you suggested the same components:p,Besides he can order it from FK or Elsewhere.

I am basing the prices from his post last night, so yeah am copying you at that but flipkart.com does not have the cabinets OR SMPS for so cheap.

Intel i3 3220-7.5k OR Intel G630-4k

Will go for Intel i3-3220 .. as it's better from future point of view, as well as more powerful than G630.

Nzxt Source 210- 2.4k OR CM 430 Elite-3k

Last time I had asked, NZXT was not available. I will ask again.

CM eLite 430 does not have support for USB 3.0.

Thanks for the other suggestions :)

- - - Updated - - -

CapriAnupam this is what I suggested earlier and am sticking with it --

Yea, I had expected pretty much the same configuration :D ... thanks :)

Can you please suggest an Asus motherboard? Am sorry for asking for it again, but as I said, lionking told Asus has better ASS service in Indore. Also, I found that maybe Gigabyte motherboards are not so popular here. I will again ask for their service when I visit the shop again to inquire about my configuration.

Even if you can't suggest Asus, can you please tell whether Asus motherboards are as reliable and good as Intel, or Gigabyte motherboards?

I can go for a higher priced motherboard, if it's better than the suggested one. I am willing to put some extra bucks for a good motherboard, with good features, which can also be considered good for long run, because I am not looking to upgrade soon.

How will be Intel DH77KC ? But, it won't have extra features like surge protection etc, which Gigabyte and Asus have.

Motherboard and CPU are my main concern here in this configuration. CPU has been decided, so that leaves motherboard. I really want a good motherboard, sturdy, reliable, future proof, good features.
I am feeling like I may be missing out on a good motherboard, going for a cheaper one :D.

Should go for a 1600 Hz module, since the processor and motherboard both will support that?

I just checked Seagate site and came to know that 7200.14 is available for 750 GB. Now it's clear, otherwise I was confused before. So, I will ask price about 750 GB, and if there is not much difference, I may go for it.

I also saw that now Seagate are also going with Advanced Format, and they are also providing an alignment software. I need to study on that more.

Again, makes me confused between WD and Seagate :D.

Did you mean CM eLite 431 Plus? Because there is no 341 Plus model.

What is the difference in the two models? Why is one priced that high? Any advantage of 431 Plus over 311 Plus?

Can you please suggest an Asus motherboard? Am sorry for asking for it again, but as I said, lionking told Asus has better ASS service in Indore. Also, I found that maybe Gigabyte motherboards are not so popular here. I will again ask for their service when I visit the shop again to inquire about my configuration.

Even if you can't suggest Asus, can you please tell whether Asus motherboards are as reliable and good as Intel, or Gigabyte motherboards?

How will be Intel DH77KC ? But, it won't have extra features like surge protection etc, which Gigabyte and Asus have.

Motherboard and CPU are my main concern here in this configuration. CPU has been decided, so that leaves motherboard. I really want a good motherboard, sturdy, reliable, future proof, good features.
I am feeling like I may be missing out on a good motherboard, going for a cheaper one :D.

Should go for a 1600 Hz module, since the processor and motherboard both will support that?

I just checked Seagate site and came to know that 7200.14 is available for 750 GB. Now it's clear, otherwise I was confused before. So, I will ask price about 750 GB, and if there is not much difference, I may go for it.

I also saw that now Seagate are also going with Advanced Format, and they are also providing an alignment software. I need to study on that more.

Again, makes me confused between WD and Seagate :D.

Did you mean CM eLite 431 Plus? Because there is no 341 Plus model.

What is the difference in the two models? Why is one priced that high? Any advantage of 431 Plus over 311 Plus?

ASUS motherboard at that price point I am not aware of, try to find what the shops have and if they have a similar cheap motherboard ~5000/- OR lesser then go for it (compare its features with the GIGABYTE board to know which is better).

The Intel DH77KC is another option but it is getting pricey for ~7000/- quid for the same feature set as the GIGABYTE board.

I meant the Cooler Master 431 Plus yes.

For what is different in the two models follow these links --
Elite 311 Plus - Cooler Master -- Cooler Master eLite 311 Plus
Elite 431 Plus - Cooler Master -- Cooler Master eLite 431 Plus

ASUS motherboard at that price point I am not aware of, try to find what the shops have and if they have a similar cheap motherboard ~5000/- OR lesser then go for it (compare its features with the GIGABYTE board to know which is better).

The Intel DH77KC is another option but it is getting pricey for ~7000/- quid for the same feature set as the GIGABYTE board.

I can think about going for a ~7000/- motherboard, if it has more features and is sturdy enough for long run. Intel DH77KC is a good option, but as said, it does not have the extra features like surge protection, etc.

So, if you can suggest a good Gigabyte or Asus motherboard in that range, or cheaper, would be good.

I had asked price for Gigabyte H77-D3H and its priced at 8000/-. Quite costly.

I do not trust what the shops suggest at all, because they generally suggest what's popular, and what sells, and not keeping in mind the features, specifications, etc. They are also not aware of all available models.

I meant the Cooler Master 431 Plus yes.

For what is different in the two models follow these links --
Elite 311 Plus - Cooler Master -- Cooler Master eLite 311 Plus
Elite 431 Plus - Cooler Master -- Cooler Master eLite 431 Plus

Yes, I had looked up the two pages, before posting here. In terms of specifications, I did not see much of a difference, and that's why I had asked here. Anyways, I read up more, and CM eLite 431 Plus looks to be more for gamers, and packs in the looks and other features like SATA-X docks, which I do not really require. So, I think I will go with CM eLite 311 Plus. I just hope that they have it, because they quoted for eLite 311... have to ask about 311 Plus. Otherwise, I will be in a fix again :/

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated :)

Didn't know what he posted yesterday but i don't know why you highlighted processor and PSU as it's available @2.7k at FK so few bucks here and there it's alright,The case is the issue so he'll have to stick to CM Elite since Nzxt isn't available.
I am basing the prices from his post last night, so yeah am copying you at that but flipkart.com does not have the cabinets OR SMPS for so cheap.

Hi guys, can you help me with something? I am trying to search for an Asus motherboard myself. When I select Intel Socket 1155, it presents with different choices of chipsets namely Intel B75, H77, Z77, H61, Z68, H67, P67.

Gigabyte presents with even more choices :O

How to narrow down my search? What's the difference between these chipsets essentially? How to go about with my search?

The chipsets again will present with different choices of motherboards ... man, this is really mind boggling :O .. why can't they make things easy :/ ...

Anyways, for Intel i3-3220, how should I search for a motherboard?

Intel have many chipsets for 1155,You should stick to gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k OR Intel DH77KC-7k,Hope it clears things.
Hi guys, can you help me with something? I am trying to search for an Asus motherboard myself. When I select Intel Socket 1155, it presents with different choices of chipsets namely Intel B75, H77, Z77, H61, Z68, H67, P67.

Gigabyte presents with even more choices :O

How to narrow down my search? What's the difference between these chipsets essentially? How to go about with my search?

The chipsets again will present with different choices of motherboards ... man, this is really mind boggling :O .. why can't they make things easy :/ ...

Anyways, for Intel i3-3220, how should I search for a motherboard?

Nope, does not clear things.

What's the difference between these chipsets, and why so many? And why not other motherboards, like H77 from Gigabyte, or Asus? Or, any other? Are they not good enough? Some explanation would be great!

Although, am techie enough to understand things, but a noob at these hardware things.

The think is you have to consider few things before you choose a chipset-
The board quality and form factor,Ram support[1600 or 1333],Ram slots[4,2],Sata Ports,Crossfire or SLI support,USB 3.0 support,Company A.S.S and pricing.
The second things is the Z series motherboard are Overclocking capable and H series are not,It depends on Processor which one to get.
The third thing is that the B75,H77 or Z77 chipsets are newly launched chipsets,So there is no point in getting SB H67 OR Z68 chipsets.
The Asus H77 chipset is expensive than the Gigabyte B75 OR Intel H77,The both Gigabyte and Intel mobo's provide almost the same features at less price hence they're the VFM boards.
Get any of the two boards suggested they've features that fulfills your requirement so no need to get confused we've suggested what's best for you.

What's the difference between these chipsets, and why so many? And why not other motherboards, like H77 from Gigabyte, or Asus? Or, any other? Are they not good enough? Some explanation would be great!

Although, am techie enough to understand things, but a noob at these hardware things.

Intel have many chipsets for 1155,You should stick to gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k OR Intel DH77KC-7k,Hope it clears things.

Asus has many h77 and b75 chipset motherboards, both should be fine for you. Inherently, both these are ivy bridge generation chipsets , built on 22 NM process, so most power efficient in Intel line up currently. Major difference - h77 has 2 sata 6gbps ports, and b75 has 1. These are typically used for SSDs, or fast hard drives.

Then you can choose form factor - you can concentrate on micro ATX and full ATX. Full ATX has more space for large daughter boards, more slots for daughter boards and more space for cooling . Micro ATX ones are more compact.

With these two main factors, choose a motherboard that is available in your budget. Then look for online reviews for those. They will tell any shortcomings, if present. Confirm on this forum after that. I have missed some points, but I think they are minor. Mostly this would help you make an informed decision.

See every processor comes with an associated chipset family. So each processor release generally coincides with a fresh wave of motherboards released in support.

The Intel Core i3 3220 is an Ivy-Bridge processor and they released the Ivy-Bridge chipset lineup with it, to support it.

These comprise the --
Now apart from the performance series chipsets which are very expensive the mainstreams are meant for us.

At the ~4500/- price point the GIGABYTE B75 motherboard offers a solid package well worth its weight in gold. No ASUS, MSi OR Intel offering at the same price point offer the mix of features, price and reliability that particular motherboard is offering. That is the reason we are gunning for it.

If you can go higher up (budget-wise) obviously more options will open up but by and by the law of diminishing returns to apply on this situation, so you have to keep that figured.

Hope this explains the stand more clearly, Cheerio!

Hi all,

I have started the process for assembling my system, and I have bought the Gigabyte motherboard from Flipkart. It was out of stock, and arrived in stock only a few days ago, and I was quick enough to get a good price for it... got it for Rs 4189/- .. whereas its now available for 4484/- I think.

So, Gigabyte B75M-D3H has arrived. I am quite happy with service of Flipkart. The product arrived in 3 days, and it was packed very nicely.

Now, I will order i3-3220, Corsair 4GB Value Select RAM and Cooler Master GX-450W from Flipkart.

I have decided to go for Seagate 1 TB 6.0 GB/s HDD. Will be buying that locally. Will also be buying DVD-RW and keyboard/mouse combo MK200 locally too.

I will be going for the Cooler Master 311 Plus cabinet. Locally it's available for 3500/- and for 3494/- on Flipkart. But, for the local one, I will have to go to a different end of the city. I will try there first though... will confirm if they will give boxed one. Otherwise, Flipkart is an option. I confirmed from the courier guy, that if the box gets damaged in transit, they will replace it. Also read in the comments that they pack it nicely. Let's see what I do.
But Flipkart's price seems a bit costly. Any other dependable online site where I can get this cabinet for less? Should be dependable, and good with packing, handling, refund etc. Also should have cash on delivery option.

I have some queries. Please help me with them.

1. The other option suggested for PSU was Seasonic S12ii 430W besides the Cooler Master GX-450W. Both PSU seem to be quite good. I was thinking of which one to go for. But, on Flipkart, as per the cable options, GX-450W seems to offer more number of cables... SATA and peripheral .. the ones which matter to me. But, on some other articles, Seasonic PSU seems to have more cables. Can anyone tell me about the number of exact cables these two drives have?

2. Any online site where I can buy the UPS ... APC BR-600VA IN? It's not available on Flipkart.
How much backup time does it provide? Will it offer protection from power surges, voltage fluctuations, etc?

3. I am thinking of buying a network interface card. I know it comes built in on the motherboard, but I have internet from cable, and sometimes, it has somehow made my NICs bad. So, I don't want to take that risk for the integrated card. Which one to go for? Locally, the Realtek network cards are available for 190/- .. but I have often experienced some kind of trouble with them. They behave quite weird occasionally. NICs are available on Flipkart here :

Network Interface Cards - Buy Network Interface Cards Online at Best Prices in India - Network Components : Computers | Flipkart.com

Any good one in the list?

This one seemed good, and affordable too, but one comment says that it does not work with Windows 8, and that's what I will be installing on my PC.

TP-LINK TF-3200 10/100Mbps PCI Network Nic - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

Any other model which I could ask for locally?

I will be going for the Cooler Master 311 Plus cabinet. Locally it's available for 3500/- and for 3494/- on Flipkart. But, for the local one, I will have to go to a different end of the city. I will try there first though... will confirm if they will give boxed one. Otherwise, Flipkart is an option. I confirmed from the courier guy, that if the box gets damaged in transit, they will replace it. Also read in the comments that they pack it nicely. Let's see what I do.

But Flipkart's price seems a bit costly. Any other dependable online site where I can get this cabinet for less? Should be dependable, and good with packing, handling, refund etc. Also should have cash on delivery option.

I have some queries. Please help me with them.

1. The other option suggested for PSU was Seasonic S12ii 430W besides the Cooler Master GX-450W. Both PSU seem to be quite good. I was thinking of which one to go for. But, on Flipkart, as per the cable options, GX-450W seems to offer more number of cables... SATA and peripheral .. the ones which matter to me. But, on some other articles, Seasonic PSU seems to have more cables. Can anyone tell me about the number of exact cables these two drives have?

2. Any online site where I can buy the UPS ... APC BR-600VA IN? It's not available on Flipkart.
How much backup time does it provide? Will it offer protection from power surges, voltage fluctuations, etc?

3. I am thinking of buying a network interface card. I know it comes built in on the motherboard, but I have internet from cable, and sometimes, it has somehow made my NICs bad. So, I don't want to take that risk for the integrated card. Which one to go for? Locally, the Realtek network cards are available for 190/- .. but I have often experienced some kind of trouble with them. They behave quite weird occasionally. NICs are available on Flipkart here :

Network Interface Cards - Buy Network Interface Cards Online at Best Prices in India - Network Components : Computers | Flipkart.com

Any good one in the list?

This one seemed good, and affordable too, but one comment says that it does not work with Windows 8, and that's what I will be installing on my PC.

TP-LINK TF-3200 10/100Mbps PCI Network Nic - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

Any other model which I could ask for locally?

I don't think you will find the Cooler Master eLite 311 Plus for cheaper online, Sire. Instead get a vanilla Cooler Master 311 and add this front USB 3.0 attachment http://www.techenclave.com/smc-internl/cooler-master-usb-3-0-a-119911/#post1482186(total should be ~2700/- -->3000/-).

Go for the Cooler Master GX450W, both of the SMPS will have a similar cable set and performance but the Cooler Master network is better in India, so in a cinch you are covered.

Have you contacted APC India Customer Support --> Contact Us, they will be able to guide you more appropriately. As far as I know no one stocks UPS online in India. Expect a ~2 -->10 minutes back up time depending on the number of components connected to the UPS.

No idea on NIC's as I use a wireless receiver dongle to connect to our network.

A lot of current hardware might exhibit teething trouble with Windows8 but over time everything should be remedied.

Hope this helps as well as wish you and your family a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy 2013. Cheers!

Thanks @ALPHA17, and wish you and your family a very Happy New Year too :). May God bless you!

Well, rather than going for such an arrangement, I will just go for CM eLite 311 Plus. It's a bit costly, but my overall budget is coming to around 25-26K as per my calculations, so I wanna go for it.

Thanks, will go for CM GX-450W. It seems good.

Thanks for the Contact for APC... but my state and city is not listed there. I will just call their toll free number and inquire. I am in doubt whether I will get APC UPS locally. Indore market is really bad. I called up the CM authorized shops, and they don't have CM eLite 311 Plus in their stock.

Any other UPS is good besides APC?

Hmm, about NIC, let's see. Maybe someone else will offer any advice. Otherwise, I will think what to do about it.

Thanks again :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back