New Phone for wify

crossbow

Mond Mond Ja Ja
Adept
1. Q: Budget?
A: 20K Can go to 25K, if device is too good to avoid

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Any

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: except BB, open to all. But would prefer good A.S.S. , and service center availability in Hyderabad.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touch, Touch + Type, No BB

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required (least) 5MP camera. Flash. Should be one of the best phone cam industry has to offer.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Ando or Windo

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Cam, general, internet, radio

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: EDIT : Now looking for single sim only. Max screen size 4.5"

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Lumia 820, Xperia SL

Warranty is a must, so these are what I suggest --
  • SONY XPERIA P
  • SONY XPERIA S
  • SAMSUNG Galaxy S II
  • SAMSUNG Galaxy S Advance
  • hTC 8S
  • NOKIA Lumia 820 (overshoots your budget, slightly)

@2kool2btrue. SL from FK at 24K. I am not looking to buy from eBay as all cheaper phones have seller warranty. Phones with official warranty are priced bit higher then market price. We mostly wont be able to purchase today itself. And today that weekend flat 8% off coupon will expire too.

If warranty issue was not there, would had imported Nexus 4 eyes closed. Mostly we will buy from fK or locally from some good shop.

Thanks @ALPHA17. Lumia 820 is what she is liking most as of now. Only thing stopping her is unavailability of Radio in that.
Is Lumia 820's cam good? I mean better then xperia SL?
From reviews at gsmarena, I feel it's good.

Also as P and S are both released Q1, Q2 in 2012, Is SL really a good successor of them ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@crossbow - No, it is not. SL is just an overclocked S which comes with ICS OOB. It is, however, a better phone than the XP. XP is powered by a NovaThor chipset which pales in comparison to the Snapdragon S3 chipset powering the XS/XSL. Also, P has a 1320mAh battery which again is pretty ordinary.
Have you considered the Galaxy S2. Apart from the dated WVGA screen resolution, it still holds its ground against the rest of the phones you have considered. It has a good camera, decent battery life, an FM radio, JB, tons of ROMs. Perhaps a white GS2?

Thanks @ALPHA17. Lumia 820 is what she is liking most as of now. Only thing stopping her is unavailability of Radio in that.
Is Lumia 820's cam good? I mean better then xperia SL?
From reviews at gsmarena, I feel it's good.

Also as P and S are both released Q1, Q2 in 2012, Is SL really a good successor of them ?

The camera is good with the NOKIA Lumia 820 and both the XPERIA's. The SAMSUNG S II also is a strong contender and the camera can hold its own.

As mentioned the XPERIA SL is not a successor to the S but just a slightly faster core-clock with ICS Out of the box.

For the best battery life I suggest you go with the NOKIA, Android as a platform is still not as efficient. Although Jelly-Bean seems to carry improvements.

And although the NovaThor chipset is no record-breaking performer it is efficient and can do all tasks fine, just larger screen size demands a better GPU and a Mali 400 can only take you so far.

@ALPHA17 - Windows Phone ala Nokia's lumia phones are not ground-breaking either (wrt battery life). However, yes, the Nokia Lumia 820 is a good phone but then again it still does not beat the GS2 which (like I stated earlier) still qualifies as a very solid option!

@ALPHA17 and @2kool2btrue, Thanks mates for your constant suggestions.

I believe it's true that GS2 still is one of the best phones available in sub 25K bracket. And honestly we considered that too yesterday while phone hunting. But only thing that we both did not like is it's all plastic build. S3 looked quite sturdy in comparison with S2, but again we were not looking for sub 30K phone.

One another aspect I would like to emphasize here is release date of phone. In terms of S2 it's 2011 IMO. So Don't you think latest hardware which Lumia 820 (or any other GOOD phone in same 25K) has to offer would be good for near future to come ? Argument can be strong for GPU comparison of Lumia 820 (Adreno 225) and Galaxy S2 (Mali 400MP).

It's only these small small factors that are getting us confused. We definitely liked 820's build quality over any other phone we saw in that price range. Only thing that held back is absence of radio, which is important for her, as she travels a lot in a day.
For S2, We ruled that out because of the point which I mentioned above in this post.
SL is what ideally we should buy as per our requirements, but looks like it's not the best choice for price we are paying.

@crossbow - Why do you feel SL is not worth the price? The Qualcomm MSM8260 + Adreno 220 is no slouch when it comes to gaming or web browsing. The SL will get JB 4.1 update.

The Camera is pretty good albeit not the best. The 720p HD screen with a ppi of 342 is miles ahead of the 4.3" WVGA of SII and 820. The colors are not good in SL from side on but thats not an issue as mostly we use it heads on.

P.S: There is a deal in HS18 on Xperia P. Just 16.5k with manufacturer warranty! All colors available.
Coupon: GCY9NP23ZUPB (Gives 4.5k discount)
Sony Xperia P LT22i Mobile Phone . Buy Best Sony Xperia P LT22i Mobile Phone at Lowest Price Online

DarkAngel
Thanks mate for suggestion.

Only thing holding back from SL is it's camera performance. P has excellent deal indeed, but it's battery performance is not at par from reviews that I read at gsmarena.

It's either SL or 820. Mostly we will buy SL only. Or whatever wify chooses. For her, priority is cam first, sturdy build second, music third, good battery life fourth, and rest of the stuff after that.
Whether ando or windo, it won't matter as she is new to both.

Hey go for the Xperia series! Dont get fooled to take the lumia because of its camera or windows phone! at the end of the day android has a lot of apps and games and yes, both the xperia P and SL have a waaaaaaaaaaaaaay superior camera compared to the lumia 820! Plus they have radio and both these phones are getting JB update by this March (April for SL though). If you are worried about the camera as i was before buying then check this out! Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com you will notice how the lumia 820 over brightens and distorts images while the xperia brothers play it natural!
Hope you get a good phone!! :)

Back