New Rig @ 25k

Q: What is your budget?

25K with slight increase if need arises..

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Completely new rig

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Completely new rig

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

whether AMD or Intel, doesn't matter.. just that it would perform good fora few years.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

No upgrade for a few years.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

probably, form Nehru Place, Delhi

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Watching HD movies
Downloading and Browsing
Normal computer work, etc
No gaming but maybe once in a while but don't want to spend more on a gfx just for the sake of gaming, any HTPC card will do.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

No, as far as it has warranty, good performance and a good ASS

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

doesn't matter

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

as, no upgrades will be there, i want to buy a 22 inch monitor and a compatible gfx card to compliment it for HD movies, etc

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 32/64 bit

it will help me if i'd be able to save on cabinet and psu as far as the rig doesn't suffer, also plz suggest a basic 2.1 speaker system..

Processor AMD Phenom II 840 4800
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GM-USB3L (AM3+) 4100
RAM Corsair Value DDR3 1333MHz CL9 2x2GB 1250
GPU Onboard HD4250
HDD Seagate 7200.12 500GB 1800
Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2100
Monitor BenQ G2220HD 6900
PSU FSP Saga II 350w 1500
Keyboard Logitech K&M Combo 700
Mouse
Speakers Altec Lansing BXR1121 950
DVD Writer Samsung 950
Total 25050

For watching HD movies the onboard IGP would suffice... Plus i suggested a quadcore processor as you want your rig to last for few years... And if you want a GPU then buy AMD Athlon II x3 440 + 880GM-USB3L + Sapphire HD5670 512MB

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD Llano A3850 6800

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V 5700

RAM GSkill 2GB DDRIII 1600MHz 900

HDD Seagate 500GB 7200.12 1950

GPU AMD HD6550D IGP -

Monitor Benq G2220HD 6900

Cabinet CM Elite 310 1500

PSU Gigabyte Superb 460 or FSP SAGAII 400w 1900

Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 650

Mouse NA -

ODD Samsung 22X SATA DVD 950

Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 BXR1121 950

Total 28300

If you can extend your budget a little bit then go for the AMD Llano based system since that would suit your needs well. You will also get a decent feature rich mobo and a very good integrated graphics that will let you play many games in low-medium settings @ 720p resolution.

A8 3850 for 3.4k? :S where? I dont think its selling for such low price...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

DA,

AMD Phenom II 840 + 880GM-USB3L + HD5670 512MB combo would perform better than the LIano combo that you are suggesting...

Checkout this benchmark... HD5670 beats A8-3850IGP by a huge margin and the Phenom II 840 CPU can easily outperform A8 3850 in CPU intensive tasks : http://www.techspot.com/review/418-amd-a8-3850-apu/page12.html

^^ I would like to add the AMD Fusion platform into the race it will consume lesser power and will get all your work done, so RIG will be --

AMD A8-3850 ~ 6700/-

Gigabyte GA-A75-UD2H ~ 4800/-

Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 4GB x 1 module ~ 1550/-

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB / 1TB ~ 1850/- OR 2750/-

Corsair CX V2 430 ~ 2200/- [the FSP OEM SMPS's are good but very short cables]

Cooler Master eLite 370 ~ 1900/- [as getting NZXT in Delhi is impossible + shipping makes it an in-flexible purchase]

BenQ G2220HD ~ 7000/- [21.5' full HD monitor, if you want HDMI out as well as LED back-light get its elder sibling the E2220HD ~ 7500/-]

[rest same as Hades Sire],

head to head, of AMD Lynx vs. AMD Deneb/Propus core --> AnandTech - Bench - CPU, the lack of cache memory on the Lynx hurts its overall performance, but overall the Lynx offers very good value-for-money against competing Deneb cores as well as better thermal and power ratings. Hope this helps, Sire Cheers!

Yeah but then the Llano has a GPU too. A GPU like HD5670 would add another ~50w + to the overall system power consumption.

Another advantage is that a CPU hardly fails unlike a discrete GPU.

P.S: The price was that of AthlonII X3. Changed the total and didnt edit the pricing. Edited immediately though.

guys, thanks for your suggestions, doing my research about it currently now.. and i've got a few queries..

@hades, as you've suggested an AM3+ mobo, will it be compatible for a cpu upgrade, if in any case, i upgrade my proccy..

@da, i would really like a llano based system and can cut the cost as a writer would not be required, also can you suggest any intel-based rig too which would perform like this one or will it be a costly affair.?

@alpha17, dude, is there any considerable difference between your rig and da's, i'm assuming the proccy is the same one.. and cabinet, smps, etc can surely be interchanged.. so is it the mobo?

@all, power consumption isn't such a big issue as long as it doesn't add extra heat in my system, i'll make it sure to buy an smps compatible with the setup..

Hades. said:
^^ i disagree with power consumption part.... A8 3850 only consumes slightly lesser power in idle mode but on full load it consumes the same amount of power as x4 640... Checkout this benchmark : AMD A8-3850 Llano APU Review > System Power Consumption - TechSpot Reviews

Sire, add the TDP of the GPU as well, the Llano total consumption [CPU + GPU] = Propus / Deneb CPU. That itself slides the overall situation in favor of the Llano chip for me. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/64

hackboy89 said:
@hades, as you've suggested an AM3+ mobo, will it be compatible for a cpu upgrade, if in any case, i upgrade my proccy..

@da, i would really like a llano based system and can cut the cost as a writer would not be required, also can you suggest any intel-based rig too which would perform like this one or will it be a costly affair.?

@alpha17, dude, is there any considerable difference between your rig and da's, i'm assuming the proccy is the same one.. and cabinet, smps, etc can surely be interchanged.. so is it the mobo?

@all, power consumption isn't such a big issue as long as it doesn't add extra heat in my system, i'll make it sure to buy an smps compatible with the setup..

Sire for all your queries, here are the answers --

True Hades Sire has given you an AM3+ motherboard, but if you are interested in a Bulldozer setup suggest you go for a 990FX / 970X motherboard, as they will support the complete feature set of the FX-series processors such as Turbo Core 2.0 / Advanced power saving / memory support upto 1866 MHz by default, this will not be supported by an 8** series chip-set based motherboard outfitted with an AM3+ socket, so choice is yours.

Yes my configuration is pretty much inter-compatible with all the configuration by DarkAngel Sire.

For power supply, please don't skimp and go for a decent OEM / branded SMPS.

^^ and how about an intel rig which performs the same, i mean the 1156 socket mobo will allow an upgrade as well, if any, in future..

coz i'd like to know if a sandybridge rig is possible in the budget but the performance should be the same and under the budget, if that's not possible, no issues..

DarkAngel said:
Yeah but then the Llano has a GPU too. A GPU like HD5670 would add another ~50w + to the overall system power consumption.

I dont think while testing power consumption the reviewer fully loaded LIano IGP using Kombuster... If the reviewer would have simultaneously loaded both the CPU and GPU using Prime95 and Kombuster respectively then the overall rig power consumption would have gone up... And now its depends on OP... He wants a better performing rig or a rig which only consumes lesser power in idle mode and the IGP which is inferior to HD5670 when it comes to sheer power and video post processing... Plus the CPU +Mobo + GPU combo that i've suggested costs the same but its more powerful and futureproof as the mobo that i've suggested is AM3+ so he would be able to upgrade to bulldozer processor in the future and if recent rumours are to be believed then he would also be able to upgrade to comodo 28nm proccesors as AMD is thinking of dropping the idea of fusing the southbridge... FM1 socket is AMD's LGA1156 its gonna last just one year... And AMD is not gonna release any high end CPU for LIano platform as AM3+ platform is for enthusiasts...

Another advantage is that a CPU hardly fails unlike a discrete GPU.

I would say that depends on luck... Some people still have some Nvidia 8xxx class GPUs which haven't failed on them yet...

Yes you would be able to upgrade to bulldozer 32nm processor and if you are lucky you would also be able to upgrade to Comodo 28nm processor....

Hades. said:
I dont think while testing power consumption the reviewer fully loaded LIano IGP using Kombuster... If the reviewer would have simultaneously loaded both the CPU and GPU using Prime95 and Kombuster respectively then the overall rig power consumption would have gone up... And now its depends on OP... He wants a better performing rig or a rig which only consumes lesser power in idle mode and the IGP which is inferior to HD5670 when it comes to sheer power and video post processing... Plus the CPU +Mobo + GPU combo that i've suggested costs the same but its more powerful and futureproof as the mobo that i've suggested is AM3+ so he would be able to upgrade to bulldozer processor in the future and if recent rumours are to be believed then he would also be able to upgrade to comodo 28nm proccesors as AMD is thinking of dropping the idea of fusing the southbridge... FM1 socket is AMD's LGA1156 its gonna last just one year... And AMD is not gonna release any high end CPU for LIano platform as AM3+ platform is for enthusiasts...

I would say that depends on luck... Some people still have some Nvidia 8xxx class GPUs which haven't failed on them yet...

Yes you would be able to upgrade to bulldozer 32nm processor and if you are lucky you would also be able to upgrade to Comodo 28nm processor....

But then does OP needs BD like power in the near future - I dont think his requirements need them. Also one would miss loads of BD features if they go with a AM3+ 880G mobo.

Also its a fact that GPU's fail much more than CPU and not luck. Just take a look at volume - RMA ratio!(I know people who still have a P3 CPU which hasnt failed ever!)

I understand that its CPU testing and not full GPU load but even then the APU has a 100w TDP and the AthlonII X4+HD 5670 has a (95w+60w TDP) I know that you cant take TDP as such but then the values at full load are close by.

I suggested an APU since his needs seems to be perfectly suited for one.

ok guys, i've forwarded both the configs the llano one and the am3+ to my cousin and have told him about the pros and cons, i think he'll be going with the AM3+ setup, though not sure..

@hades, da and alpha17, thanks for the suggestions and making the process easy..

rep++

But then does OP needs BD like power in the near future - I dont think his requirements need them. Also one would miss loads of BD features if they go with a AM3+ 880G mobo.

Also its a fact that GPU's fail much more than CPU and not luck. Just take a look at volume - RMA ratio!(I know people who still have a P3 CPU which hasnt failed ever!)

I understand that its CPU testing and not full GPU load but even then the APU has a 100w TDP and the AthlonII X4+HD 5670 has a (95w+60w TDP) I know that you cant take TDP as such but then the values at full load are close by.

I suggested an APU since his needs seems to be perfectly suited for one.

If in the future he would like to overhaul his rig he atleast would have options... Where as FM1 socket would last only a year... And IMO AM3+ socket would live for more than two years until AMD decides to release a new socket...

Also one would miss loads of BD features if they go with a AM3+ 880G mobo.

Not loads of features... Just the power saving features and Turbo Core 2.0 features wouldn't be compatible with 880G motherboards... IMO 880G would support bulldozer processor power saving features but not the new ones... And to lessen the shortcoming of Turbocore 2.0 feature he can overclock the CPU...

See if he would do normal work the CPU wouldn't even kick out of C1E/C3 mode... And as HD5670 takes power from the PCI-E slot i hardly think that it would consume more power and you are missing the part that how much powerful HD5670 is as compared to 6550D so even if it consumes slightly more power than A8 3850 then its totally worth it... AFAIK OP is not building an HTPC rig (low power consuming rig) and the rig that i have suggested wouldn't consume huge power either just couple of 10 to 12 watts more on full load (not in idle)... Now i think we should let him to decide that whether he wants to build a rig which consumes slightly lesser power or wants to build a more powerful rig which costs the same and which has future and consumes slightly more power...

Hades. said:
If in years until AMD decides to release a new socket...the future he would like to overhaul his rig he atleast would have options... Where as FM1 socket would last only a year... And IMO AM3+ socket would live for more than two

Not loads of features... Just the power saving features and Turbo Core 2.0 features wouldn't be compatible with 880G motherboards... IMO 880G would support bulldozer processor power saving features but not the new ones... And to lessen the shortcoming of Turbocore 2.0 feature he can overclock the CPU...

See if he would do normal work the CPU wouldn't even kick out of C1E/C3 mode... And as HD5670 takes power from the PCI-E slot i hardly think that it would consume more power and you are missing the part that how much powerful HD5670 is as compared to 6550D so even if it consumes slightly more power than A8 3850 then its totally worth it... AFAIK OP is not building an HTPC rig (low power consuming rig) and the rig that i have suggested wouldn't consume huge power either just couple of 10 to 12 watts more on full load (not in idle)... Now i think we should let him to decide that whether he wants to build a rig which consumes slightly lesser power or wants to build a more powerful rig which costs the same and which has future and consumes slightly more power...

Hades Sire, we get the point, he isn't building a HTPC,but still the AMD Llano has a better integration of CPU + GPU and faster RAM [namely 1600MHz --> 1866 MHz, give a positive kick to the realtime game benches], so I still firmly suggest OP goes for Llano APU over the older Propus / Deneb cores.

Secondly whether the CPU kicks out of the C1E / C3 step doesn't matter as my Phenom IIx4 965-C3 guzzles 117W -- 74W @idle, while @load it shoots too ~125W -- 132W [as I've clocked it @3.7 GHz mark for daily usage / gaming].

Also not everybody is very forthcoming when it comes to the issue of over-clocking, I took to it after 1.5 years with my PC, and that to I dabble only with the AMD OverDrive utility. So I don't think OP's cousin will like to -- void his warranty policy, face instability, crashes and BSOD's to boot, just to extract ~10% greater performance from his system.

Just my point of view, Sire, cheers!!

Hades Sire, we get the point, he isn't building a HTPC,but still the AMD Llano has a better integration of CPU + GPU and faster RAM [namely 1600MHz --> 1866 MHz, give a positive kick to the realtime game benches], so I still firmly suggest OP goes for Llano APU over the older Propus / Deneb cores.

RAMs of above 1600MHz frequency don't make much of a difference in gaming aswell in other applications too... Plus its not worth to pay the extra premium for just 2 to 300MHz faster frequency RAMs... And i am not suggesting OP a 1990s CPU i am suggesting a CPU which is not old enough and still offers great VFM... And even the LIano processors have the same propus core (slightly modified) with 1MB cache per core as compared to Athlon/Phenom 512KB per core...

Secondly whether the CPU kicks out of the C1E / C3 step doesn't matter as my Phenom IIx4 965-C3 guzzles 117W -- 74W @idle, while @load it shoots too ~125W -- 132W [as I've clocked it @3.7 GHz mark for daily usage / gaming].

Which equipment did you use to check idle and load power consumption of your PC?

Also not everybody is very forthcoming when it comes to the issue of over-clocking, I took to it after 1.5 years with my PC, and that to I dabble only with the AMD OverDrive utility. So I don't think OP's cousin will like to -- void his warranty policy, face instability, crashes and BSOD's to boot, just to extract ~10% greater performance from his system.

What you are saying is subjective... Overclocking doesn't void the warranty unless a person overclocks the CPU so extremely that it ends up getting burned...

just to extract ~10% greater performance from his system.

You can extract i7 980 like performance from i7 2600k after overclocking it 4.3 to 4.5GHz (Stable) which is a peace of cake for Sandybridge processors...

Back