New Sandy Bridge Build...help needed (especially from Pune members)

Maestro

Adept
Budget?

Existing hardware configuration

CPU - Intel E2160

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

RAM - Kingston 2X1GB DDR2 667

GPU - ATI HD6850

Monitor - Dell U2311H

SMPS - Corsair VX450

Cooler - CM Hyper 212+

Q: Which hardware will I be keeping?

Everything above not in bold.

Q: Which hardware component am I looking to buy?

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68V-PRO/Maximus IV Gene-Z/equivalent

RAM - 8GB (2x4gb) kit, brand and model undecided

Q: Where will I buy this hardware?

Pune

Open to online purchase

Considerations:

Looking to buy all these as soon as possible (preferably within 7-10 days), as I understand availability of Z68 is a problem atm.

Motherboard:

Z68 series is hardly even heard of here, so would be open to online purchase if not available locally. Mobo should also be able to fit a CM Hyper 212+.

I mentioned the Gene-Z above, because it seems to offer the same features as the PRO at a cheaper price, but I'm worried that it won't fit the cooler due to it being mATX.

Which of the two would be the better option?

RAM:

I would like to get an 8gb memory kit, mostly to future-proof the config. Having real trouble with the various options though. All of them seem to be similar enough and with barely any difference in price. It doesn't have to be the fastest, all I want is a decent performer within 5k

CPU:

The CPU is available from 2 places locally, @10.5k and 10.9k respectively. Would like some help from Pune members here.

The former is from a dealer called Mahicomp, who is notorious for overpricing stuff, so I'm a bit concerned that he seems to be offering the cheapest deal from both local and online dealers. Also a bit paranoid as he recently sold me a 1TB WD MyBook which turned out not to have Indian warranty. He also insists it's a 2500k and not a 2500 for that price. Is he above the board?

Edit: The 10.5k quote is inclusive of VAT.

Other dealers that I know of are Karan Solutions and STech.

Your suggestions please?

Thanks,

Maestro

Yeah. CPU pricing is pretty decent. 10.5k is good price for 2500K
For RAM get either of the below two. Both are SB compatible. One is CL9 and other is CL8, 1600MHz.
Gskill Sandy Bridge 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 4GB X 2
G-Skill[ Ripjaws-X]DDR3 1600 Mhz 8GB(4GB x2)F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Z68 availability is a big issue. SMC has 3 models Gigabyte Z68 mobos. None of the other TE dealer seems to have it.
Gigabyte Z68 - SMC

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Though the P67 cousin 'P8P67 PRO' is available widely for ~12k-12.5k

DarkAngel said:
Yeah. CPU pricing is pretty decent. 10.5k is good price for 2500K
For RAM get either of the below two. Both are SB compatible. One is CL9 and other is CL8, 1600MHz.

Is there a noticeable difference in real-world performance between the two that would justify the extra 500 bucks? I know less latency is always better...
DarkAngel said:
Z68 availability is a big issue. SMC has 3 models Gigabyte Z68 mobos. None of the other TE dealer seems to have it.
Gigabyte Z68 - SMC
Problem is, these are all without display outputs. I may have to RMA my gpu, if that does happen, I need to be able to use the Sandy Bridge IGP.

Maestro said:
Is there a noticeable difference in real-world performance between the two that would justify the extra 500 bucks? I know less latency is always better...

Problem is, these are all without display outputs. I may have to RMA my gpu, if that does happen, I need to be able to use the Sandy Bridge IGP.
The Best Memory for Sandy Bridge | bit-tech.net
DDR3 SDRAM for Sandy Bridge: Choosing the Best Memory for LGA1155 Platform - X-bit labs

If you're doing anything other than heavy multi-tasking - this goes for gamers in particular - then a 1,600MHz or 1,866MHz kit is plenty. You could opt for CL8, as we saw some advantage in the video encoding test, but we wouldn't obsess over this factor, especially if a CL9 kit is much cheaper.
1600MHz CL9 should do fine. But do check the reviews though.

Agree that the display ports will come in handy. Then wait for a week and hope for the best :) No other option right now online AFAIK.

AnandTech - The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested
AnandTech - The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested

Processor| Idle |Load (Cinebench R11.5)
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz| 5W |111W
Intel Core i7 2600K (3.4GHz) |5W |86W

So the VX450 should be sufficient for anything around the ~4.2GHz-4.4GHz mark considering he has only a HD6850.

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts says his new config needs ~356w and recommended ~406w

2500K @4.2GHz (1.3V), Regular-Desktop Mobo, 2*RAM, 3 SATA HDD, 1 DVD R/W, HD6850, regular mobo, 3 USB devices, 2*120mm, 1*92mm, 90% load(recommended). 15% cap ageing, KB+Mouse included.

Went to another dealer (S.Tech) today. He quoted me these prices:

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K 10950
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (after 10 days) 14500
OR
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V (available now) 13500
RAM Corsair Vengeance (2*4GB) DDRIII 1600MHz CL8 5600

Total 31050

The dealer was quite adamant on selling me the Sabertooth P67 @14.5k, no matter how much I said no.

Is it proper pricing for the Corsair RAM? SMC is selling it for 5k (I think its the same kit), but it works out to the same if you factor in shipping + Octroi.

S Tech now a days quote even higher prices than Mahicomp !
Try talking to DCC and tell thm S Tech is giving it for less ... It works sometimes :) ...
If you are not in a hurry to buy and can wait for 15 days we can club the purchase and ask for more discount , since i'll be also going for i5 2500k(or i7 2600k) + ASUS P8Z68 Pro combo most probably ...

^ Yeah definately agree with you.

@Maestro- Go with any of your friends who knows Sumit very well. I can help you but I am in bangalore now. Try going to Computer Plazo next to Baba computers on East street (Near Burger King:D). Get the quote from him. Keep us posted. YGPM.

SMC sells the XMS3 for 5-5.5k or so, CAS 9 I think. Not Venegence. That is like 7-8k or so for CAS 8 I think. At least it was till 1-2 months back.

Maestro said:

With Sandy Bridge or even the previous generation Intel Core series processors, i think people benefitted more from higher MHz memory than running a lower speed with tighter timings.

Maybe the gurus can shed some light on that.

That said, 500 bucks is not much a difference to not buy CL8. Maybe one should check for the OC-ability of the 2 kits suggested. :)

Maestro said:

That is the most common reason and sounded bit silly to me earlier when one could use either of integrated or discrete GPU.

Not even the last reason for me to buy a motherboard with integrated GPU when i know i will be using a good graphics card as i have hardly seen any hardware die at my end- touchwood.

But with Z68, being able to use the integrated Sandy Bridge processor's GPU for faster media transcoding with Intel Quick Sync Video Technology is the prime reason for having iGPU support, even if one has a good graphics card or 2.

So that decides which Z68 motherboard we buy as Z68 without switchable iGPU support and Intel Quick Sync Video Technology sounds like P67 to me and i rather buy a good P67 motherboard then.

DarkAngel said:
Agree that the display ports will come in handy. Then wait for a week and hope for the best :) No other option right now online AFAIK.

Buy Asus P8Z68-V PRO DIGI VRM Digital Power in Mumbai India

abhifusion said:
S Tech now a days quote even higher prices than Mahicomp !

Try talking to DCC and tell thm S Tech is giving it for less ... It works sometimes :) ...

If you are not in a hurry to buy and can wait for 15 days we can club the purchase and ask for more discount , since i'll be also going for i5 2500k(or i7 2600k) + ASUS P8Z68 Pro combo most probably ...

Are Pune prices higher than other cities?

Even when few TEites form Pune were buying P67 motherboards, i think they paid more than what those who got theirs from other cities paid. :S

pegasus said:
But with Z68, being able to use the integrated Sandy Bridge processor's GPU for faster media transcoding with Intel Quick Sync Video Technology is the prime reason for having iGPU support, even if one has a good graphics card or 2.
So that decides which Z68 motherboard we buy as Z68 without switchable iGPU support and Intel Quick Sync Video Technology sounds like P67 to me and i rather buy a good P67 motherboard then.

Even when few TEites form Pune were buying P67 motherboards, i think they paid more than what those who got theirs from other cities paid. :S

:) SMC also has listed it for 14k yesterday. On the day of my post they were not listed.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard--Shipping Free
Pune people have to pay extra for OCTROI IINM. Thats why prices are higher.

avinash4 said:
^ Yeah definately agree with you.
@Maestro- Go with any of your friends who knows Sumit very well. I can help you but I am in bangalore now. Try going to Computer Plazo next to Baba computers on East street (Near Burger King:D). Get the quote from him. Keep us posted. YGPM.

I don't know anyone who knows Sumit, or any of the dealers for that matter.

Thanks for the offer. Would appreciate the help, especially as he refuses to budge even a bit on the price.

That was the first place I went to: Karan Solutions/Computer Plazo. He quoted 10.9k for the CPU and had no idea of the Z68s existence. I had planned to buy the RAM online (at the time) so I didn't ask him about that.

I think I'll give him a call today and get a new quote.

So far I've been to three dealers :Mahicomp, KS/CPlazo and STech. Will see if I can visit a few more today.
rite said:
SMC sells the XMS3 for 5-5.5k or so, CAS 9 I think. Not Venegence. That is like 7-8k or so for CAS 8 I think. At least it was till 1-2 months back.

Nope. Checked his site yesterday. 2.5k for a Vengeance 4GB Single Module DDR3 Kit CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9
pegasus said:
i have hardly seen any hardware die at my end- touchwood.

Same here, especially since I have always been restricted to relatively low-end components. Therefore, it is very ironic that the first really expensive piece of hardware that I purchased -my 6850- is giving me problems.

While QuickSync would be helpful at times, it is certainly not a deal-breaker. However, since I am almost certain I will have to RMA my gpu (it's giving me display errors), I really need the IGP.

Saw Prime's listing last night.

DarkAngel said:
:) SMC also has listed it for 14k yesterday. On the day of my post they were not listed.

Pune people have to pay extra for OCTROI IINM. Thats why prices are higher.

Hmm. I checked the site late last night and it wasn't listed. Good, that means the supply channels are finally working.

Whole of Maharashtra, as a matter of fact. The irritating part is that there is no uniformity when octroi is levied. My 11k GPU was charged Rs 450, my 14.5k monitor just Rs. 200. Sometimes it is levied, sometimes not.

pegasus said:
With Sandy Bridge or even the previous generation Intel Core series processors, i think people benefitted more from higher MHz memory than running a lower speed with tighter timings.

Maybe the gurus can shed some light on that.

That said, 500 bucks is not much a difference to not buy CL8. Maybe one should check for the OC-ability of the 2 kits suggested. :)

That is the most common reason and sounded bit silly to me earlier when one could use either of integrated or discrete GPU.

Not even the last reason for me to buy a motherboard with integrated GPU when i know i will be using a good graphics card as i have hardly seen any hardware die at my end- touchwood.

Yea , generally they price it ~15% higher than comparable mumbai prices ...

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk

Yea , generally they price it ~15% higher than comparable mumbai prices ...
Maybe about 200-300RS extra...

....not true....Can get P8P67PRO for 12200/- and P8P67 SaberTooth For 14500/- CPU i72600K for 16200/-, 580GTXCU2 for 28500/-
...think the prices are comparable....

My dealer is out of town till 10th else would have gotten you quotes of whatever you required....

Infected said:
Maybe about 200-300RS extra...

....not true....Can get P8P67PRO for 12200/- and P8P67 SaberTooth For 14500/- CPU i72600K for 16200/-, 580GTXCU2 for 28500/-

...think the prices are comparable....

My dealer is out of town till 10th else would have gotten you quotes of whatever you required....
No bro , I was quoted 5.5k for corsair vx550 by sumit while it was available for 4.8k @ prime around 1 yr back ... And recently I got 2tb seagate lp for 5k from stech while other shops were quoting 300 more , same which was selling for 4.6k in mumbai ... Whose the dealer u talking about ?

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk

Even when few TEites form Pune were buying P67 motherboards, i think they paid more than what those who got theirs from other cities paid.
Buggers, give Octroi and Shipping as excuses to inflate prices.

avinash4 said:
Buggers, give Octroi and Shipping as excuses to inflate prices.

I know!!

S.Tech wants 5% Octroi to get the mobo in from freakin' Wagholi!!! I'd understand if it was Bombay, but 5% for such a short distance.

OT: Are prices mentioned online inclusive of VAT or not? In my experience, they usually have been. These guys are charging VAT on top of an already inflated price.

Maestro said:
I know!!

S.Tech wants 5% Octroi to get the mobo in from freakin' Wagholi!!! I'd understand if it was Bombay, but 5% for such a short distance.

OT: Are prices mentioned online inclusive of VAT or not? In my experience, they usually have been. These guys are charging VAT on top of an already inflated price.
Tell him that you will take the delivery at Wagholi then.

Yes, online prices are inclusive of VAT but subject to Octroi when it comes to Pune. Octroi is 4% in pune FYI.

Back