Less than 10K New Smartphone

santoshwe

Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 10K

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: The best possible in this price range

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No. For domestics brands preferred the brand which provide good a.s.s.

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required A decent resolution camera.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: andriod/windows.

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, Wifi, EDGE, GPS

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: mail, internet browsing, watching videos (should support formats like mp4/mpeg, flv, mkv, h.264 etc), FM, listening mp3 songs

10. Any other requirements?
A: Dual sim not required. Should offer decent battery life for playing videos.

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: none.

For Windows, Lumia 520. However all video format support is skeptical. FM will be activated with GDR2 update.

For Android, under 10K suggesting a cell phone is bit difficult for me. :(

What android models are available above 10k (the lowest and good value for money above 10k)?

Also if we go for domestic brands which android models to consider in the sub 10K range?

For Android the LG L5 II (note the II after the L5) is an OK phone. Specs are decent - 1 Ghz Mediatek processor, 512 MB Ram, 4 GB internal memory but it does have a nice IPS 4" screen @ 480x800 pixels and it has a SGX531 GPU which is much better than the general Adreno 203 GPUs you get at this price range. I played a few games at a store and found the phone to be pretty decent.

Sells for 10.5k on flipkart. Might be a bit cheaper locally.

For Android the LG L5 II (note the II after the L5) is an OK phone. Specs are decent - 1 Ghz Mediatek processor, 512 MB Ram, 4 GB internal memory but it does have a nice IPS 4" screen @ 480x800 pixels and it has a SGX531 GPU which is much better than the general Adreno 203 GPUs you get at this price range. I played a few games at a store and found the phone to be pretty decent.

Sells for 10.5k on flipkart. Might be a bit cheaper locally.
What about pantech burst going for ~8k on ibhejo ?

How to get service for that model here.

There is no service whatsoever. If it fails you are on your own. Certain issues might be able to get fixed by a local phone mechanic but most major ones will not.

The Burst has great specs but there is no support here.

Well I got it many months ago. The specs were seriously amazing at that time and even now there are few phones that come close to its specs within 2x the price I bought it for. Secondly its a Made in Korea phone so the build quality and QC are better than a mass produced Chinese phone.

So even if I have to buy 2 phones during a 3 year cycle I would still be one up over buying a 15k phone once and then having some failure which I would have to pay for after the warranty is over.

I don't regret my decision one bit in getting this phone. Especially with CM10 this phone is now butter smooth so I am a happy customer. :)

^^ Oh yeah it is. In fact I have dropped my phone w/o cover at least 7-8 times already in the past few months (yes I am clumsy). Nothing happened to the phone. No dents or issues caused with the drops.

For 8k there is nothing close. For 13k the Galaxy Core comes close and has JB out of the box. For JB you need to use a custom Rom with the Pantech. Honestly I had a few lags and hang ups with the official ICS update but with CM10 its been smooth sailing so far. :)

^^ Oh yeah it is. In fact I have dropped my phone w/o cover at least 7-8 times already in the past few months (yes I am clumsy). Nothing happened to the phone. No dents or issues caused with the drops.

For 8k there is nothing close. For 13k the Galaxy Core comes close and has JB out of the box. For JB you need to use a custom Rom with the Pantech. Honestly I had a few lags and hang ups with the official ICS update but with CM10 its been smooth sailing so far. :)
Just needs an appetite for risk. There are a number of people on this forum who went with the burst.

OP, what do you think ?

Thanks Friends for the replies.
I was just considering the domestic manufactures as well
I just found a few models that suits my requirement.
xolo a500s
karbonn a25
Iris 454
ICE Xphone

Are these models reliable? If so which is the best one?
Does the same feature as above models available in MNC brands around the same price or at slightly higher price?

MNC phones will offer a fraction of these features at the prices the above models retail for. You are paying more for MNC models for support and better QC.

As you yourself experienced the Chinese maal don't always work and can crap out anytime. However the specs offered by MNC guys at < 10k levels are not very nice especially in the screen department.

If you have a decent appetite for risk you can get any of the above. However if it fails do keep in mind there is a chance the phone may never get repaired ever due to lack of spares. This is common among most Chinese phone sellers.

Back