New to android , need some guidelines on gsm gnex

deep16

Adept
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ok first of all i am totally new to android, few days before took some plunge and bought a unlocked white gsm gnex. It came with yakjuxw 4.0.2 . So today flashed it to yakju 4.0.4 stock . [/font]
smile.gif
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] Even rooted it also by galaxy nexus toolkit . [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Now i have some queries which may be noobish but straight answers can really help me out .[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]1. How to install downloaded .apk files in gnex ?[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have downloaded a root explorer apk from net and not able to understand how to install it .[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]2. Some must-have apps ? [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]3.[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]how to backup all contacts and sms and applications before flashing another rom ?[/font]

Hi,

1) To install APKs you don't need root or anything. There is an option in Settings<Applications - Check the option named Allow unknown sources and then just run the APK. Your app will get installed.

2) Must have apps are Titanium Backup to backup all apps so that you can install them in one click when changing ROMs. MX Video Player - plays all formats of videos, tapatalk - for browsing forums, Dolphin Browser - better than stock browser.

3)Apps can be backed up using Titanium Backup. Contacts are synced to your Google account so no need to back them up. SMS i never backed up, so don't know. Also you can have the complete backup of your ROM from Clockwork MOD itself.

For apps like Titanium Backup the phone should be rooted and Superuser should be installed.

Hi,

1) To install APKs you don't need root or anything. There is an option in Settings<Applications - Check the option named Allow unknown sources and then just run the APK. Your app will get installed.

2) Must have apps are Titanium Backup to backup all apps so that you can install them in one click when changing ROMs. MX Video Player - plays all formats of videos, tapatalk - for browsing forums, Dolphin Browser - better than stock browser.

3)Apps can be backed up using Titanium Backup. Contacts are synced to your Google account so no need to back them up. SMS i never backed up, so don't know. Also you can have the complete backup of your ROM from Clockwork MOD itself.

For apps like Titanium Backup the phone should be rooted and Superuser should be installed.

okk let me explain. i cannot find any app in nexus to see all the transffered files(.apk s) from my computer to my phone . So how to install root explorer itself ?( i have the apk and donot want to install it by play )

That is strange. Is there no file explorer on your phone. If not just get a free file explorer from market and then install the APK from there.

Download Astro File Manager,from Market!

Install, then goto the location where APK Is, tap it and click install!

This is Assuming you have checked "Unknown Sources" in Settings->Applications

Back