New to console gaming - got used PS4 - what to do next?

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi,
As the title says, I'm a complete noob when it comes to gaming itself, as well as console gaming. I had owned a PS2 in 2008 for a very brief time.
I have received a used PS4 as a gift now. The model says PS4 CUHS2208A. I found out that it refers to the 500GB slim version. It is running software version 9.0.
Please guide me with the following:
1. How do I completely factory reset it and change it to mine?
2. Is a PlayStation account mandatory? What care should be taken while making the account (like any specific region account to be created, etc.)?
3. How do I check if the PS4 is in good condition and working fine? Any settings to test health?
4. I would be playing offline games only for now. Is a PS Plus account necessary then?
5. Suggest a few great game titles please. Preferably related to sports like football or racing. I have a 11 year old at home and he is all excited to start gaming, so would prefer games that are age appropriate for him. Again, I'm not planning for online gaming, at least for a few months.
6. Any good sites for getting deals on PS4 games?

Will post more as I start using it.
Thank you.

Hey, congrats man. You will have a great time I hope like I had after being back to consoles after a very long break :)
I currently don't have a PS4 but will try to tell you the steps.
1. Navigate to settings & find Initialization option & do a full initialization. This will completely reset back your PS to factory condition
2. Not necessary, you can have an offline account and be done with it. If you make one, just select India, we get pretty good deals here
3. I don't know of such a setting but there's an option to rebuild database but it's useful when you have malfunctioning programs/games due to data corruption etc. After a full factory reset, it wont be needed.
4. No, absolutely not necessary
5. Some brilliant titles are Unchartered series, Ghost of Tsushima,Spiderman, Horizon zero dawn. I don't know much about sports or racing but then FIFA & NFS series it can be :sweatsmile:
6. Check out gameloot, gamenation, Cex stores for good priced pre-owned games

Sent you a PM with some information

Let me just say, with your playstation firmware it is easy to run Homebrew, just make sure to NEVER connect it to the internet. It might take some time but definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the reply guys. As of now, I've not connected to the net. Bought ratchet and clank for my kiddo, and he's enjoying it.

@logistopath

Try these for the kiddo:

Tearaway unfolded
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Spyro: Reignited Trilogy
Overcooked 2
Team Sonic Racing
Driveclub

He will love these games.
Others have already given you a great list of games for yourself. And definitely play BLOODBORNE. [But not in front of kids. too much blood, violence and slightly horror]

Hey man for buying used games for cheap gameloot.in and gamenation.in are best also you can get great deals ( sometime way better what you get on above mentioned sites) on pre owned game on IVG forums.

He's busy with Ratchet and Clank for now. Meanwhile, we also got FIFA 22 for gaming together. Thank you all for your suggestions. It seems there are plenty of games to keep us busy for the next few years (game time is just an hour every week :p).

Back