Newbie to Virtualization

Hi Guys,
I am planning to use both Xp and win 7 x64 on my machine. Couple of questions in my mind.
1. Dual boot or Virtualization
2. If I use xp as host will the gaming performance hampered in virtualized win 7. Whats your suggestion?
3. Best software for virtual pc
4. Do i need to format the disk
5. Should I use low resource hog such as ubuntu and install xp , win7 in the virtual environment.

System config:
1. Phenom 550 BE 4 cores unlocked @ 3.4Ghz
2. 2x2 GB RAM
3. 500 Gb HDD
4. 790GX mobo and display is running in onboard graphics unit

Regards,
Vijay

1) Virtualization - because you don't have to restart. And both OS are available for use at same time.

2) Yes, you should avoid gaming in Virtualized environment. Its okay for legacy applications

3) Install Windows 7, and use Windows XP MODE

4) No

5) If Windows XP & 7 are the only OS you require. then I suggest not to install ubuntu.

Hope it helps

vijaycool said:
Hi Guys,
I am planning to use both Xp and win 7 x64 on my machine. Couple of questions in my mind.
1. Dual boot or Virtualization
For gaming purpose, go for dual boot. virtualization would not give provide hardware acceleration. it'll be a pathetic experience.
2. If I use xp as host will the gaming performance hampered in virtualized win 7. Whats your suggestion?
As explained above. it may not work at all in virtualized environment.
3. Best software for virtual pc
Best free software i feel is Sun Virtual OS. prety light on the resources also.
4. Do i need to format the disk
For Virtualization: NO. For dual boot, yes, you need a separate partition. if there is none, then there are tools available to shrink the existing partition and make a new one (by default available in vista and win7)
5. Should I use low resource hog such as ubuntu and install xp , win7 in the virtual environment.
depends on your requirements.
System config:
1. Phenom 550 BE 4 cores unlocked @ 3.4Ghz
2. 2x2 GB RAM
3. 500 Gb HDD
4. 790GX mobo and display is running in onboard graphics unit

Regards,
Vijay

Answers in your post

Back