Budget Above 25K Nexus 4/Xperia ZR/Samsung S4

Handy

Disciple
Hi Guys,

I am looking to finally bite the bullet and upgrade from my current galaxy Y to a phone which does not lag and has good user experience.

I am considering the mentioned 3 phones but below are my views/questions on them

1. Nexus 4
Pros
1. Regular Andriod updates
2. 10 k cheaper :D
Cons
1.LG poor service quality
2. Camera
3. Stock experience with no customization

2. Xperia ZR
Pros
1. 13 MP shooter
2. Good battery life
Cons
1. Sony update regularity with the crowded mid-driod range of smartphones
2. The water resistant feature does not work properly

3. Galaxy S4
Pros:
1. Octa Core processor
2. Coupled with samsung reliability of providing updated to 2 year old flagship phone
3. Good experience with service center
Cons:
1. Price
2. Camera is not upto the mark

1. Budget?

A: 25 -35 k
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: TFT?AMOLED
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Prefer Samsung/Apple
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Preferably a decent camera phone
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Andriod/iOS
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Calls/Messages/Games/Multimedia
10. Any other requirements?
A: Should be preferably future proof
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Nexus 4/ Xperia ZR/ Galaxy S4

having seen a number of camera comparison videos with the s4, that sensor is good for low light. Thing here is i find most reviewers use the auto settings so the one does better but if you use night mode on the s4 then the photos are just as good and sharper.

This is what your 'ultrapixels' do. In daylight the pictures are overexposed, maybe you can fix it with settings, though i doubt it. The 4 MP suffers from sharpness and detail versus the s4. Had HTC gone with a 8MP it would have been better. The video however is good with the one, over aggressive auto-focus at times though. Very close between s4 & one for video. Especially if you like the wide angle vs the over cropping of the s4.

The 60FPS video minus audio on the one should be good for fast action shots. Its a pity we can't see it on youtube because i understand youtube converts everything to 30fps.

I'm leaning towards the s4 right now because it has the best overall camera in its range. Just waiting for the note3 to come out and depress its prices further.

in terms or camera this is how i see it

Lumia 92x > S4 > HTC one > Optimus G/G pro > xperia Z/ZL > ZR

Last edited:
I'm going against the grain here, but I don't think the S4 is worth it at all unless you will be rooting immediately and getting the hell away from Touchwiz. The S4 out of the box is quite laggy because of Samsung's crap which is unfortunate, since the hardware is actually really good. You can live with the poor UI performance, but it really takes away from the experience of using a high end phone IMO.

The Nexus 4 would be the best bang for the buck. I got mine today, and it is excellent as long as its shortcomings don't affect you too much (limited storage, average camera and EXTREMELY fragile.).

Or else, play it safe and get the HTC One. It's probably the best all-round phone right now.

Hi all,
Thanks for the reply. The S4 is now out of question with the steep price tag.

I have now options between
1. A 1 month old sony xperia SP ( 18.5 k) Not used at all
2. New Xperia ZR ( 27 k)

Please suggest.

Back