Camera Nikon D5100 Announced

^^ so true... at entry level 1100D is going to be a better deal. Similarly, folks can also go for 550D before the stock runs out and 600D comes to replace it with a higher price.

Nikon isn't going to release any camera in this range with a In body AF motor so no point asking for something which is never gonna come...

With tht D7000 sensor, 30 fps 1080p, microphone jack, left hinged screen, in built HDR, 4 fps burst rate I think this is a great upgrade from the D5000 unlike the 550D to 600D upgrade this actually gives a much better and significant upgrade over the older DSLR... plus its 10% lighter than the D5000 which was outdated after the D3100 was launched

^^ Thats true, but ultimately its the customer who will decide what to buy. And in India at least the D5100 is not going to make a dent into the sales when the Canon 550D is selling for 34k while the D5100 is selling for 40k (assumed costing considering US price).

Nikon needs to come out with a AF 50mm f1.8 lens fast. Thats one major gap in its system IMO

AFS and same price... from Nikon. Keep dreaming.

BTW, Nikon has a fantastic 35mm/1.8. On DX that gives a focal range of around 50mm. Why people are so bothered about an AFS 50mm prime on Nikon?

Hmm as Brendon pointed out, in addition there are loads of awesome cheap AF lens in the market (80-200 f2.8) which wont work. I would rather buy the D90. BTW I had a close look at the ISO performance of a 550D and D90 at ISO 6400 and there was negligible difference. The D90 though was AFing quicker, and a muccchhh better grip.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BTW, Nikon has a fantastic 35mm/1.8. On DX that gives a focal range of around 50mm. Why people are so bothered about an AFS 50mm prime on Nikon?

Hmm ask Pappu :) not good enough for portraits, or close shots with an amazing OOF. To get creamier bokeh, the higher the focal length the better :)

I agree with sahil.

While fifties score full marks when it comes to IQ, the really interesting photos are produced at extreme focal lengths (wide and long). My opinion of course.

hatter said:
AFS and same price... from Nikon. Keep dreaming.

Come on, no one is using FF, a 35mm and 50mm lens all have their place and its impossible to replace a 50mm lens with a 35mm lens.

Also Nikon need not include a ultrasonic motor, they can use a cheaper micro motor instead.

Its not too hard to make a cheap 50mm prime lens. Sony made a 50mm f1.8 lens for $149 with a motor in the body.

I think the 600D which this cam is competing against is still a better in terms of video

1) Zoom feature in video without significant loss of quality
2) Manual Audio level Control
3) Remote Flash Commander

And hopefully magic lantern would come for 600D too...

BF1983 said:
Come on, no one is using FF, a 35mm and 50mm lens all have their place and its impossible to replace a 50mm lens with a 35mm lens.

Also Nikon need not include a ultrasonic motor, they can use a cheaper micro motor instead.

Its not too hard to make a cheap 50mm prime lens. Sony made a 50mm f1.8 lens for $149 with a motor in the body.

And all Canon lens have motor in the body. I do not really care for the video in these cams, last I checked a low end hand held digicam was yet easier to use had equal or better IQ. Plus a lot of cameras, especially Sony one are having sensor over-heating issues with video.

The D5100 has a better sensor, but I am not yet sure if its a better buy as compared to D90.

The overheating issue is if you use the in body IS. If you don't then recording time is upto 30 mins which is exactly what a Canon 550D gives you. If the temperature is higher (like in India) then even without IS the time is around 20 mins which is still very respectable.

Also Canon does NOT have a body motor. :D

All Canon bodies lack a body motor so no one makes lenses without a motor for Canon. Nikon used body motors long back and Tamron, Sigma and Nikon skimped by making lenses without AF motors. :)

The SLTs overheat because they have a fixed mirror that blocks 30% of the light. To compensate it gains up to ensure that the overall shutter speed is exactly the same as you would get from a camera without the fixed mirror. So the sensor is working overtime and causes heating problems.

The Sony A580 which uses the same sensor as the A55 but without a fixed mirror can shoot upto 30 minutes without an issue.

Nikon-d5100.jpg

Full Hands-On Review.

INR 39,950 (with AF-S 18-55mm VR Kit Lens)
INR 34,450 (Body only)
(Maximum Retail Price)
Freebees: D-SLR Bag & 4GB SD Card

Not bad at all!

BF1983 said:
The SLTs overheat because they have a fixed mirror that blocks 30% of the light. To compensate it gains up to ensure that the overall shutter speed is exactly the same as you would get from a camera without the fixed mirror. So the sensor is working overtime and causes heating problems.

The Sony A580 which uses the same sensor as the A55 but without a fixed mirror can shoot upto 30 minutes without an issue.

But the NEX VG10 which uses contrast detection AF has the same sensor found in A560 DSLR , NEX3/5 ,SLT A33 ,but this one shoots videos for hrs and has no heating issue.

Back