Disciple
Nikon V1

pic_110921_10.jpg

pic_110921_11.jpg
J1

pic_110921_16.jpg

Nikon | News | Advanced Camera with Interchangeable Lens Nikon 1 J1 / V1
Priced at around 70,000 yen ($915) and 105,000 yen

I've been waiting for very long to see how Nikon delivers with it's mirrorless cameras. The specs started leaking a while back. I was hoping that those specs were incorrect. But, when the announcement came today morning, I was quite disappointed. Those specs unfortunately turned out to be true. Nikon over the months had be saying that it was ready with a "new system" with "innovative features" and that they were waiting for the right time to announce it. These cameras have a 2.7x crop factor which makes the sensor much smaller than the 4/3rds sensor let alone Sony's NEX series. The lenses aren't special either. Then comes the price: The J1 with the 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 VR kit lens will retail for $650 and the V1 with the same lens will be for $900. With the crop factor taken into account, the full frame equivalent focal length for this lens will be 27-81mm.

Nikon has named this new sensor size as the CX format. I'm waiting for some proper image samples.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I'd like to add: Had these cameras been smaller than the NEX cameras, then they might have made sense. The NEX and 4/3 cameras aren't really pocketable. So, it really doesn't make sense to buy those over DSLRs. These Nikon cameras aren't pocketable either. Therefore, they don't have any real advantage over the NEX or 4/3 cameras.

Back