Car & Bike Ninja 300 vs Ninja 650

Wowsie. I have been researching along similar lines lately.
The N650 is not flickable in traffic, this coming from actual owners on XBHP. The 300 I think is just too costly especially after the release of Duke 390 and impending release of RC390. Also please consider ASS before buying such bikes. Do you have a Probiking showroom with trained mechanics in Bhilai?

Get a car instead. Will be much safer. Don't get a bike just to show-off if you're not that interested in them. You'll have to wear full-body gear every time you get on your Ninja to not look like a complete jackass.

Get a car instead. Will be much safer. Don't get a bike just to show-off if you're not that interested in them. You'll have to wear full-body gear every time you get on your Ninja to not look like a complete jackass.

His mom bought him a brand new safari storme just to go to college. How many more should he buy?[DOUBLEPOST=1393919991][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if I am not mistaken, its an upgrade from the Zma

i had done 55k in my ZMA stock tyre :D, replaced both tyre recently when my rear Tyre got punctured for 2nd time :(

Last edited:
Wowsie. I have been researching along similar lines lately.
The N650 is not flickable in traffic, this coming from actual owners on XBHP. The 300 I think is just too costly especially after the release of Duke 390 and impending release of RC390. Also please consider ASS before buying such bikes. Do you have a Probiking showroom with trained mechanics in Bhilai?

Yeah, the probiking showroom is just 25km from my home :)

@AMG, yep it will be upgrade to ZMA, on which i had done loads of tours including, Bhilai-Bhopal (900km approx :D)

Buy a Duke 390 instead and from the remaining money buy some good gear.:)

I had heard that current Duke has loads of issues :(

I'll tell you guys why you, or for that matter anybody else SHOULD NOT BUY THE DUKE 390

It needs new tyres every 10 thousand KMs. And the Metzelers which come as stock with the bike cost 24 thousand.
24 K for every 10 thousand KMs. :eek:

Now lets assume the bike returns you a Fuel Efficieny of 35km/litre
So for 10K KMs, you use 285.71 litres of fuel. Now assuming the fuel costs 75Rs/Litre
Fuel cost for 10 thousand KMs is 285.71*75 = 21428 Rupees.

So you are paying more for the tyres than for the fuel itself. o_O

I'll tell you guys why you, or for that matter anybody else SHOULD NOT BUY THE DUKE 390

It needs new tyres every 10 thousand KMs. And the Metzelers which come as stock with the bike cost 24 thousand.
24 K for every 10 thousand KMs. :eek:

Now lets assume the bike returns you a Fuel Efficieny of 35km/litre
So for 10K KMs, you use 285.71 litres of fuel. Now assuming the fuel costs 75Rs/Litre
Fuel cost for 10 thousand KMs is 285.71*75 = 21428 Rupees.

So you are paying more for the tyres than for the fuel itself. o_O

First things first, the Metzelers cost 16k and not 24k as told by owners who have this quote from KTM directly. Secondly, you can install Michelin or MRF tyres too if you don't have a problem in losing the insane grip Metzelers offer.
Lastly if you want to look at the numbers then Duke 390 is not the bike for you and neither is any performance bike.
The Kawasakis that the OP wants to buy have insanely priced spares but like I said that isn't what these bikes are for. Even the Duke 390 is jerky at city speeds for the first few thousand kilometers.
It is all about priorities and these bikes are for people who want to experience the awesome acceleration these bikes provide without breaking the bank or losing any commuting abilities.

@AMG

Where did you read or got to know that the Bike needs new tyres every 10K.

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/ktm-duke-390/ktm-duke-390-test-ride-review/

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcy...owners-reviews-experiences-58.html#post994855[DOUBLEPOST=1393936523][/DOUBLEPOST]
First things first, the Metzelers cost 16k and not 24k as told by owners who have this quote from KTM directly. Secondly, you can install Michelin or MRF tyres too if you don't have a problem in losing the insane grip Metzelers offer.
Lastly if you want to look at the numbers then Duke 390 is not the bike for you and neither is any performance bike.

How did you arrive on that conclusion???

And yes, this is not the bike for me.
My next bike will be a CBR250R, and the one after that the CBR650F.
Because I like to eat miles for breakfast, and not ride nakeds like hooligans.

Neither of them uses more tyres than it uses fuel.But still how did you arrive at the conclusion that performance bikes are not for me?[DOUBLEPOST=1393936949][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.fhmindia.com/ktm-390-abs/ 24K for a pair of tyres
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/motorcycle-reviews-f43/ktm-duke-390-first-ride-report-t54030/ 24k for tyres

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/news/22...esting-near-pune-pics-page-57-a-82-print.html 24k again

Last edited:
http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/ktm-duke-390/ktm-duke-390-test-ride-review/

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcy...owners-reviews-experiences-58.html#post994855[DOUBLEPOST=1393936523][/DOUBLEPOST]

How did you arrive on that conclusion???

And yes, this is not the bike for me.
My next bike will be a CBR250R, and the one after that the CBR650F.
Because I like to eat miles for breakfast, and not ride nakeds like hooligans.

Neither of them uses more tyres than it uses fuel.But still how did you arrive at the conclusion that performance bikes are not for me?[DOUBLEPOST=1393936949][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.fhmindia.com/ktm-390-abs/ 24K for a pair of tyres
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/motorcycle-reviews-f43/ktm-duke-390-first-ride-report-t54030/ 24k for tyres

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/news/22...esting-near-pune-pics-page-57-a-82-print.html 24k again

Again, I have been researching these bikes for the past 2 weeks and I have been through each and every post in the KTM 390 ownership's thread which is around 300 pages long. One of the guys has posted his quote of 16k from KTM Mumbai and that is what the price is. 24k is the price if you want to buy from elsewhere but this the price by Bajaj.

The post you have quoted is just based on speculative pricing.

I came to the conclusion that performance bikes are not for you because you were looking at prices and how much it will cost you to run it.
Also you are forgetting that those tyres can be changed to tyres which will be cheaper and more enduring which come with bikes that you have named. If you install the Metzelers on those bikes the result will be the same. It is just a choice that KTM have made and rightly so because with so much power on such a light bike, grippier tires are needed.
No bike is perfect especially because every rider has different needs and manufacturers will provide choices that they deem important for the package. These things can easily be changed according to one's riding styles and needs. Doesn't mean you should discard the whole bike for that.

Edit - Also your calculations are wrong because most of the users have stated that average mileage they get is around 23-27 whereas you have based your calculations on 35kmpl which you will only get if riding at 60-70 in sixth gear.

Last edited:
My point of dis-satisfaction with the 390 are:

1. Its a naked, + sitting posture + wind. (Hopefully the RC 390 will fix this)
2. The price of metzelers. Heck you can get MICHELIN road pilot( which fit on the R6, a much more expensive motorcycle) for that much.
3. That the tyres wear out at just 10K kms.

The 390 without the metzelers will just not be a 390.

Edit: I based my calculations on the expected usage of the OP.[DOUBLEPOST=1393940068][/DOUBLEPOST]
Doesn't mean you should discard the whole bike for that.

Sir, I did not discard the bike as a whole. I just gave my version of why anybody should not buy a bike.
I did not call it useless etc etc.

And instead of attacking me, maybe you should have given a version as to why you think everyone should buy the bike.

Last edited:
My point of dis-satisfaction with the 390 are:

1. Its a naked, + sitting posture + wind. (Hopefully the RC 390 will fix this)
2. The price of metzelers. Heck you can get MICHELIN road pilot( which fit on the R6, a much more expensive motorcycle) for that much.
3. That the tyres wear out at just 10K kms.

The 390 without the metzelers will just not be a 390.

Edit: I based my calculations on the expected usage of the OP.[DOUBLEPOST=1393940068][/DOUBLEPOST]

Sir, I did not discard the bike as a whole. I just gave my version of why anybody should not buy a bike.
I did not call it useless etc etc.

And instead of attacking me, maybe you should have given a version as to why you think everyone should buy the bike.

First things first. I didn't mean to attack or offend you or mean any disrespect to you as a biker.
I haven't specified the Duke 390 for the OP as you can see in my first post. And personally I myself would buy the N650 but because I won't be dealing with city traffic in it. It can be used in cities but is not flickable like the N300. And the N300 is grossly overpriced. So in the end I told him to wait for the release of RC 390.

Having said that, you did discard the bike by typing in BOLD that no one should buy the 390 or so it seemed to me and that too based on miscalculations and just because tyre wear is more than other bikes. Tyre wear depends on tyres which can be changed and hence I felt dissatisfied with your reasoning. Also riders are saying that front tyre is good till 16-18k kms and the back one for at least 12-13k kms and this is coming from actual riders - the one who has written the long term review on XBHP.
In your own words 390 doesn't feel like a 390 without the Mets and that alone is a reason most 390 riders won't mind paying such a high price for the tyres alone as they complement the bike very well.

P.S. - I am waiting for the Honda 400/650 as well. Also going for a test ride of the new Harley 750 in a day or two as soon as I find some time.

For me the only obstacle in buying these bikes in India is the incompetent A.S.S and which has stopped me from buying a performance bike till now. I can live with the niggles, vibrations etc being a Bullet owner but I can't stand a mechanic who doesn't know what he is doing.

@AMG ,mileage and performance don't go hand in hand ,in fact they are quite at the opposite.D390 is a performance spec, so going with
"kitana deti hai" won't justify its purpose.
if you are dissatisfied with naked class itself then 390 ain't for you.

but still. the D390 threads in Xbhp is full of niggles and issues people are facing from day one. Even though they had bring down the price low, but still niggles for a brand new bike will surely give headache to anyone.

Common sense dictates buying a new bike after 1-1.5 years in it's production. Going by that logic, Kawasaki and Honda make more sense any day.

Yup. Get the N650 and enjoy years of free riding. This flick, grip terms are all just terms if you all you care about is the ride. N650 offers such clean and smooth ride. I only driven 690 for around 50 kms.. I felt like i was on top of a angry dog just raring to jump. But hey if that is your definition of ride then D690. If its bling, then D690.

What I believe is in smooth ride, graceful gear shifts etc.. N650 gave me that. I rode it around 300 kms. I loved every moment of it. And might i say, very comfortable. D690 made my butt hurt. :(.

And people who say that numbers and biking dont go together are just dumb. Yea. plain dumb. If you want a expensive show case out of your house then by all means be a "rider".
One need to see if they can afford the bike properly then only get the one fits in your budget. "Kitna deta hain" &" expensive tires "may be derogatory statement but damn it you are talking about the upkeep of a bike. if you don't calculate how much it costs to run the bike properly, why would anyone buy it?

Last weekend before I was in a Ducati showroom with a colleague. An American. Even he asked how much miles per gallon for a model he wasn't planning to get. Being sensible never made anyone a bad rider. Same on some people.

Yup. Get the N650 and enjoy years of free riding. This flick, grip terms are all just terms if you all you care about is the ride. N650 offers such clean and smooth ride. I only driven 690 for around 50 kms.. I felt like i was on top of a angry dog just raring to jump. But hey if that is your definition of ride then D690. If its bling, then D690.

What I believe is in smooth ride, graceful gear shifts etc.. N650 gave me that. I rode it around 300 kms. I loved every moment of it. And might i say, very comfortable. D690 made my butt hurt. :(.

And people who say that numbers and biking dont go together are just dumb. Yea. plain dumb. If you want a expensive show case out of your house then by all means be a "rider".
One need to see if they can afford the bike properly then only get the one fits in your budget. "Kitna deta hain" &" expensive tires "may be derogatory statement but damn it you are talking about the upkeep of a bike. if you don't calculate how much it costs to run the bike properly, why would anyone buy it?

Last weekend before I was in a Ducati showroom with a colleague. An American. Even he asked how much miles per gallon for a model he wasn't planning to get. Being sensible never made anyone a bad rider. Same on some people.

I guess I was wrong in saying that we shouldn't consider the costs. That generalization was wrong on my part. I was trying to say that higher tyres cost of the Duke 390 shouldn't be that big an issue as to deter prospective buyers. Those tyres are a perfect match for that bike and replacing them shouldn't be that costly in the long run considering the cheap price of the bike.
I guess I shouldn't have passed on the N650 I was getting going by your review. Barely ridden, the guy was letting it go for 3.75L.

Back