No 'Mid-range' brands for smart/fitness watch?

Din

Disciple
Was thinking on it after checking and searching online.

Either relatively new brands like Boat, Fire-Boltt, Amazfit etc. from 1.5K or Garmin, Apple, Samsung etc. which start at 20K (or more).

Nothing like a reliable, reputed and trustworthy brand which is in between?

Didn't mean those new companies are inferior or their products are inaccurate, might be I am stuck at the Garmin era, but is this true?

Or I missed those mid-range brands as they are are mostly at brick and mortar stores?

Well, requirement is mainly on fitness. Bluetooth calling, display text messages or any other phone functionality - are secondary. Won't mind even if they are missing. Priority is fitness related info. Like number of steps, stairs, HRM, distance covered and things like that. Need not be be watch itself, not against bands if they are pretty accurate and reliable.

Any suggestions or comments?

Last edited:
If you are talking about middle ground for Rs 1.5k and Rs.20K, then Galaxy Watch 4 at 9k is great.
9K? Never knew that. Will sure check it out. Being Samsung, I guess it will be more accurate and reliable.
Take a look at fitbit inspire series and charge series for fitness bands or versa series for fitness watches.
Missed mentioning Fitbit on the second set. Thought they are also on the 20K+ league. Will check both the series you mentioned.

I'm in the same boat, looking for smart watch recommendations under 10K, buying in a week's time.

What I'm looking for in order:
Comfort > Battery Life > Looks and Durability >>>>>>> Calling.

Check out the Fitbit Inspire 3: https://www.myntra.com/fitness-band...racker-with-skin-temp-heart-rate/20415016/buy

A major upgrade over the Inspire 2 and the battery lasts upto 10 days (5 days when using always-on display). When it comes to tracking fitness, I'd rate Fitbit higher than any other manufacturer, and somewhat close to the Apple Watch in terms of accuracy. The AI/ML integration Google has done with Fitbit has been extraordinary.

The only bummer is that you only get 6 months of Fitbit Premium, since the Premium plan gets a lot of options for sleep tracking and stress management. The Fitbit app is also well-built, much better than Samsung or Garmin.

Check out the Fitbit Inspire 3: https://www.myntra.com/fitness-band...racker-with-skin-temp-heart-rate/20415016/buy

A major upgrade over the Inspire 2 and the battery lasts upto 10 days (5 days when using always-on display). When it comes to tracking fitness, I'd rate Fitbit higher than any other manufacturer, and somewhat close to the Apple Watch in terms of accuracy. The AI/ML integration Google has done with Fitbit has been extraordinary.

The only bummer is that you only get 6 months of Fitbit Premium, since the Premium plan gets a lot of options for sleep tracking and stress management. The Fitbit app is also well-built, much better than Samsung or Garmin.

I had a high opinion of the Fitbit too, up until they were laid bare by 'The Quantified Scientist' on YouTube. It's nowhere close to the Apple Watch, which remains, much to the chagrin of the Android fanboi in me, unrivalled in fitness tracking accuracy.

It all comes down to accuracy of the sensors and the algorithm and I ran through most of the brands over the years.

Fitbit is exclusively great at sleep tracking as activity tracking is far too overstated and inconsistent. Their smartwatch software has always been exceptionally buggy for daily use. With Google now mandating Google account integration and not really doing much to push the hardware and software, Fitbit is simply becoming a worse proposition with time.

The lower end products are all rebranded Chinese OEM products with cheap AIO sensors, so they might be okay from an electronic watch perspective and nothing else.

My last Samsung watch was several years ago (with Tizen) but back then it was mostly a good locking smartwatch with terribly inconsistent, inaccurate activity, heart rate tracking and of course the app ecosystem didn't exist on Tizen. So great as a fashion device and nothing else, not sure if WearOS has helped, probably not considering market share hasn't changed much.

Apple watch has been by far the most accurate and consistent watch I have used over the years, but mostly appreciate the fact that it keeps getting features with every update and is not effectively gimped to sell the newer versions. It is the only one with full iPhone integration anyway, so not that there is a choice in that regard.

@t3chg33k - That was a detailed comment, much appreciated. What is your opinion on Garmin and Wahoo - reliable as far as tracking/sensors considered? Not looking much into phone connectivity or calls etc.

I had a high opinion of the Fitbit too, up until they were laid bare by 'The Quantified Scientist' on YouTube. It's nowhere close to the Apple Watch, which remains, much to the chagrin of the Android fanboi in me, unrivalled in fitness tracking accuracy.
Well, your 'The Quantified Scientist' had pretty nice things to say about the Inspire 3 and he even recommends it over other Fitbit models:

Saying Fitbit is nowhere close to Apple Watch, when most of their models sell at half or even 1/3 the price of an Apple Watch is a pretty misinformed and ignorant statement.

It all comes down to accuracy of the sensors and the algorithm and I ran through most of the brands over the years.

Fitbit is exclusively great at sleep tracking as activity tracking is far too overstated and inconsistent. Their smartwatch software has always been exceptionally buggy for daily use. With Google now mandating Google account integration and not really doing much to push the hardware and software, Fitbit is simply becoming a worse proposition with time.

The lower end products are all rebranded Chinese OEM products with cheap AIO sensors, so they might be okay from an electronic watch perspective and nothing else.

My last Samsung watch was several years ago (with Tizen) but back then it was mostly a good locking smartwatch with terribly inconsistent, inaccurate activity, heart rate tracking and of course the app ecosystem didn't exist on Tizen. So great as a fashion device and nothing else, not sure if WearOS has helped, probably not considering market share hasn't changed much.

Apple watch has been by far the most accurate and consistent watch I have used over the years, but mostly appreciate the fact that it keeps getting features with every update and is not effectively gimped to sell the newer versions. It is the only one with full iPhone integration anyway, so not that there is a choice in that regard.

Can you suggest any band/watch that's decently competent when it comes to tracking accuracy? As with @Din, I'm willing to overlook connectivity if the trade-off entails better accuracy.

Can you suggest any band/watch that's decently competent when it comes to tracking accuracy? As with @Din, I'm willing to overlook connectivity if the trade-off entails better accuracy.
@t3chg33k - That was a detailed comment, much appreciated. What is your opinion on Garmin and Wahoo - reliable as far as tracking/sensors considered? Not looking much into phone connectivity or calls etc.
@Din Came close but couldn't commit to the Garmin ecosystem and haven't
tried Wahoo. However, Garmin really gets good at the higher range with Forerunner and Venu series which is again at the premium range. Garmin Vivomove series is generally not reviewed better than Fitbit, so at the suggested price point, it wouldn't make sense to go with Garmin.

I think accuracy is really difficult to get right. My Apple Watch is less sensitive to arm movements than Fitbit was, which would register nearly 2000+ steps on the sofa alone when using my arm to do various things. On the other hand, I reached my Apple Watch target in just 2 hours a few months back when travelling in a vehicle on a rocky mountain road. I think the best you can expect is some sort of consistency over your daily activity which is what Apple Watch does well.

Within budget, I suppose you would probably just have to go with Fitbit or Galaxy Watch. I really didn't like the fact that Fitbit removed the altimeter from the Charge 5 when my very first and simple Fitbit One had it. Climbing floors is what you'd really like to track in an urban setting to encourage yourself to not take the elevator when possible. Similarly, not having integrated GPS like on the Inspire just makes outdoor walks and elevation changes inaccurate. I suppose getting the Galaxy Watch at Samsung's dumping price might cause the least regret.

@AINDRASIS_GUPTA - Checked more on the inspire series. Might be minute thing, that skin rash issue mentioned in few reviews worries me slightly. I agree, Fitbit, good brand they are.
@t3chg33k - True, options are less for the mid-range it seems. Also, HW for altimeter and things like that - I think they remove it from some models and add in some others on marketing point of view, similar to the mobile phone specs, so that they can keep the model diversity and customers won't be behind a particular model.

Last edited:
@Din Came close but couldn't commit to the Garmin ecosystem and haven't
tried Wahoo. However, Garmin really gets good at the higher range with Forerunner and Venu series which is again at the premium range. Garmin Vivomove series is generally not reviewed better than Fitbit, so at the suggested price point, it wouldn't make sense to go with Garmin.

I think accuracy is really difficult to get right. My Apple Watch is less sensitive to arm movements than Fitbit was, which would register nearly 2000+ steps on the sofa alone when using my arm to do various things. On the other hand, I reached my Apple Watch target in just 2 hours a few months back when travelling in a vehicle on a rocky mountain road. I think the best you can expect is some sort of consistency over your daily activity which is what Apple Watch does well.

Within budget, I suppose you would probably just have to go with Fitbit or Galaxy Watch. I really didn't like the fact that Fitbit removed the altimeter from the Charge 5 when my very first and simple Fitbit One had it. Climbing floors is what you'd really like to track in an urban setting to encourage yourself to not take the elevator when possible. Similarly, not having integrated GPS like on the Inspire just makes outdoor walks and elevation changes inaccurate. I suppose getting the Galaxy Watch at Samsung's dumping price might cause the least regret.

Very nuanced perspective, thanks for sharing!

Amazon has the Galaxy Watch 4 LTE version at 16k, comparing favourably with the BT version at 13k. So, unless the BT version drops under 10k, the LTE version makes sense. I also see reviews and bits on forums that show Samsung improving the GW's accuracy through regular updates, which assuages me a bit.

Back