Graphic Cards No video output from GPU

adwait4720

Disciple
Hello everyone,
my current rig currently has a Ryzen 5 3600 and an Asus ROG Strix 1080(Out of warranty) in it. For the last couple of months, I was facing random freezes and crashes. I narrowed the issue down to GPU driver. I clean installed Windows and everything but the freezes/crashes didn't stop.

A couple of days ago the PC froze. I hard reset it but since then I am not getting any video out to my monitor.
The fans and lights on the card work fine.
I can tell that the PC is booting from the startup sound of Windows 11.
I have tried using both DisplayPorts and HDMI ports. I also tried changing the thermal paste on the GPU. Is there anything else that I can try out?

Is my graphics card kaput? Does Asus in India does out-of-warranty repairs as I absolutely can't afford a new one right now.
Please help. Thanks in advance.

Hi
Have you tried booting without the graphics card? This is to make sure the graphics card is indeed defective.
His CPU does not have an iGPU.

Hello everyone,
my current rig currently has a Ryzen 5 3600 and an Asus ROG Strix 1080(Out of warranty) in it. For the last couple of months, I was facing random freezes and crashes. I narrowed the issue down to GPU driver. I clean installed Windows and everything but the freezes/crashes didn't stop.

A couple of days ago the PC froze. I hard reset it but since then I am not getting any video out to my monitor.
The fans and lights on the card work fine.
I can tell that the PC is booting from the startup sound of Windows 11.
I have tried using both DisplayPorts and HDMI ports. I also tried changing the thermal paste on the GPU. Is there anything else that I can try out?

Is my graphics card kaput? Does Asus in India does out-of-warranty repairs as I absolutely can't afford a new one right now.
Please help. Thanks in advance.
This is usually the sign that either the GPU or the cable is dead. Check the cables of the monitor.

No company does out of warranty repair of Graphics card. Sorry about that

In the worse case scenario you can try the oven method. [Caution - use it at own risk]

Ye gpu might be dead. I too have a similar ROG strix card which is lying dead. The fans, lights and dual bios switching still works but the die does not work.

You may want to get it thoroughly tested in some computer shop where they can take apart the PCB and desolder/test components. Often a faulty capacitor can cause issues, which can be replaced easily. However if the gpu itself is dead, there is no coming back.

Is my graphics card kaput?
Don't need to jump that conclusion right away. You can do a few things first.

Take apart the graphics card.
Using a clean toothbrush wet in IsoPropyl Alcohol, clean the whole thing.
Wet brush the PCIe slot as well.
Rub pencil eraser on GPU copper contacts.

Now see if it boots fine.

Still if it doesn't, then you will have to reseat the GPU processor using a hot gun and soldering wax which solves the problem most of the times. Some electrical shops can do it for you. Or you can do it yourself by watching youtube videos, it's not that hard. You can borrow a hot gun from your friends.

Back