Nokia 5130 XpressMusic

Eazy

Skilled
First off let me say that I am a real dummy as far as mobile phones are concerned - even tho I have used them for about 12 years. :huh:

I bought a Nokia 5130 XpressMusic a few days back and I get extremely irritated with the phone's screen blanking off after every half a minute of unuse. Does any one know of a way to keep the screen "always on". I set the Power off timing to 60mins and yet half a minute later the phone's screen went blank :( I dont care if having the screen always on reduces the battery or screen life.

Does anyone have a link where I can download some F-R-E-E themes and screen savers for this phone. I have been unsuccessful in registering with "My Nokia" :(

yeah I think kkndka is right, under display settings there should be both power saver time out as well as light time out. increase the light time out

bottle said:
yeah I think kkndka is right, under display settings there should be both power saver time out as well as light time out. increase the light time out

NAH ... only option in Menu for Lights is for lights to remain on during Charging and not for regular use, when charging the lights never go off with this option switched on, should I be keeping this phone on permanent charging to get the display to be available at all times :)

I am so FED UP with the display blanking when I am reading an SMS, that I am ready to go back to my trusty OLD Nokia 6210. The problem is that when the screen blanks and I press a key to put it on again the darned SMS disappears from view :(

But let me tell you this - I emailed Nokia a complaint about this "feature" and the Nokia call centre guys from Banglore have been contacting me every day since - even today (Sunday) I had an hours conversation with the Nokia guy from Bangalore. GREAT SERVICE !!

@gmano - THANKS - will check them out !! :cheers:

EDIT: OK I went to Zedge and I had not even typed a thing and I saw this message...

Sorry, we didn't find any themes that fit your Nokia 5130 XpressMusic. However, feel free to look at themes compatible with other phones.

OH WELL !!!

@Eazy Sir: 5130 and 3120 Classic has the same display dimensions and OS. Select 3120 Classic as your phone and download themes as per your taste :)

See the comparison here.

Actually I totally lost it today when I got 2 SMS messages and whilst I was reading them the screen went blank, and when I touched buttons to get back the display the messages had vanished :mad: I really screamed at the Nokia rep and he said to take it across the Nokia Service Centre at Opera House for a checkup, anyone know where exactly this is located ? The guy from the call centre gave me a 7 digit phone number for this service centre and he could not understand that Mumbai has only 8 digit phone numbers.

Can any one confirm that this half minute screen blanking is a known feature of these new Nokia phones or have I got a defective piece. :(

Hey Easy, take it easy :D

Under the display settings turn the power saver mode off. See if that helps or not.

By the way, which button are you pressing to turn the lights back on? Is it the red button?
You can press the navigation keys(up, down, left, right) to turn the screen back on.

By the way, do you read very slowly? I mean how do you keep on reading the same sms for 30 seconds? I finish reading the contents on each page in about 5-10 seconds.
Is the font size set to small? You could try changing the font size to large so that only a little bit of the sms will be shown in one page and you will have to constantly press the down button to read the rest. In that way the light will stay on.

hotshot05 said:
Hey Easy, take it easy :D

Under the display settings turn the power saver mode off. See if that helps or not.

By the way, which button are you pressing to turn the lights back on? Is it the red button?

You can press the navigation keys(up, down, left, right) to turn the screen back on.

By the way, do you read very slowly? I mean how do you keep on reading the same sms for 30 seconds? I finish reading the contents on each page in about 5-10 seconds.

Is the font size set to small? You could try changing the font size to large so that only a little bit of the sms will be shown in one page and you will have to constantly press the down button to read the rest. In that way the light will stay on.

TOO LATE !!! I just ran into another problem with the phone and have more or less decided to DUMP the phone.My problems were that I was looking for a paper to note down some numbers and before I got back to the phone the messages were gone - FOREVER into MOBILE HELL !!

I cannot believe how DUMB I have been made to feel with this STOOPID phone. I have gone back to my trusty Nokia 6210 which is good only for making calls - absolutely no frills :)

By the way I had disbled the Power Saver mode right in the beginning and it had made no differece at all. I think the firmware/software was corrupted but when I went to check using Nokia's PC Suite I get a message "no new software necessary" for my phone. I use the large red button to bring the display back on - and the font size is set to Large.

I will take the phone across to Nokia's Service Centre and see what they have to say.

I still need to know 2 things...

is it normal for Nokia phones to blank the screen after half a minute - this time does not change no matter what time I select for timings in the screen saver options.

The screen saver does not work at all - I have selected the Digital Clock as a SS and this shows only for 10 seconds and only if the timer for screen saving is set to half a minute, any time other than half a minute and I dont see the SS - STRANGE !! ..... MY QUESTION: When is the SS supposed to kick in and how long does it normally run for ?

@Eazy Sir: Pehle lambi saans lo.. fir man se saare vichar nikaal do aur fir aage padho :bleh:

Eazy said:
I use the large red button to bring the display back on....

That would get you to the home screen... so its not the phones fault... try using the up or down keys; that's what I use...give it some time you will get used to it.

Eazy said:
is it normal for Nokia phones to blank the screen after half a minute - this time does not change no matter what time I select for timings in the screen saver options.

My Nokia blanks after 10 seconds and that's sufficient for me :bleh:

djmykey said:
@Eazy Sir: Pehle lambi saans lo.. fir man se saare vichar nikaal do aur fir aage padho :bleh:

That would get you to the home screen... so its not the phones fault... try using the up or down keys; that's what I use...give it some time you will get used to it.

My Nokia blanks after 10 seconds and that's sufficient for me :bleh:

So my frustration with the phone is so obvious - huh ?? - I thought I was being subtle about it :eek:hyeah: Give me a computer problem any time and I am at home with that :) But this phone had me pulling my hair out in despair (whats left of it :) )

OK .... so this is the first time someone is saying that my 30 sec blank time is normal behavior of this phone, is there any hack available to keep it on till manually powered off or battery discharges totally ? Even the Nokia people who emailed and spoke to me had no idea why the phone was blanking out in half a minute. :p This is a relief to know that the phone is not defective - THANKS for this confirmation. :cheers:

Hi..

I need to get the lastest firware for my 5310 Xpress Music along with some geniune Antivirus software along with few good themes and games.Unfortunately I cannot download due to official securities.Can anyone send it to my mail id as Zip file.. mohamedkishore@sabb.com

Thanks in advance

mohdkishore said:
Hi..

I need to get the lastest firware for my 5310 Xpress Music along with some geniune Antivirus software along with few good themes and games.Unfortunately I cannot download due to official securities.Can anyone send it to my mail id as Zip file.. mohamedkishore@sabb.com

Thanks in advance

The 5310XM does not need an antivirus. For themes you can try mobile9 - Free ringtones, free themes, free wallpapers, free videos, free software, free games for mobile phone and for games and applications you can try GetJar: Free Java, Symbian, Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, Palm and Flash Lite mobile games and applications

P.S: Dont post your email id like that. You will get spammed.

Back