Nokia 5800 or 5230???

The Nokia 5230 has been discontinued and it's cheaper version,the 5233,has taken it's place.
Nokia 5800 has 3G,WiFi,3.2 MP camera with LED flash.All of which the 5233 lacks.
Both have the same hardware underneath though I feel the 5230(or the 5233 whichever you prefer to consider) has a better touch response. Do keep in mind that the stock 5800 wont feel as jiffy as the 5230 but after upgrading the firmware it's quite close enough. I feel the audio quality is a tiny winy bit better in the 5230 as compared to the 5800.
5800 is around 13k in the market here in Lucknow and the 5233 is 7.5k. :)

Nokia 5230
2 Mpx camera, No flash
No Wifi
No xpress music so only mono speaker
Price - around 8.5k
Mostly not available in stores any more Discontinued by Nokia :( Replaced by 5233 for 1k cheaper price but no GPS and 3G.
Nokia 5800
3.15 Mpx camera (still sucks IMO)
Wifi
Xpress Music phone with stereo speakers
Price around 13k
Available in plenty.

Rest everything is same.
I am trying to get an ebay coupon to buy the 5230 before it is over.

Yes i missed it....No card bundled with 5230, no data cable also.
PS: The only seller on ebay having 5230 is having it in white color. :( Any way to change the face plate to black ??

I just called univercell.in and they too confirmed it is not there

Now that you've decided on the phone, be sure to choose the right color. Go with the black/silver 5800. It looks more professional and fetches a higher resale value (according to some of the dealers around here).

First Nokia 5230 is not discontinued.
Its a hot selling model and its out of stock in India. And our famous dealers always know to say that a product is discontinued if they don't have it. :bleh:

Second, it is more responsive and has a better tuned OS than the one on 5800. Even kinetic scrolling is better in 5230.

The camera on both phones are crap since its a Nokia...:p

For the price 5230 comes at (Rs.7000) its a steal.

The 5800 comes at nearly double the price of the 5230. It surely adds the 8GB card and the expressmusic tag but music sounds better on the 5230 than on 5800. Wifi is dere in 5800, which is a deciding factor but depends on your preference.

Else, i would recommend the 5230 over the 5800 for its great value and better overall performance than the 5800. :eek:hyeah:

Comes down to what are your needs;).

If you want WiFi, GPS (ya the 5230 has it but it is difficult to find one in stock right now) and may be a slightly better camera then the 5800XM ( which does of course have the 8 GB card bundled with it plus the data cable) or else go for the 5230(if you find one that is) or the 5233.

I guess the deciding factor is gonna be - do you need the WiFi support or no. And does your budget allow you to spend the little extra:cool2:

jags1987 said:
comes down to what are your needs;).

If you want wifi, gps (ya the 5230 has it but it is difficult to find one in stock right now) and may be a slightly better camera then the 5800xm ( which does of course have the 8 gb card bundled with it plus the data cable) or else go for the 5230(if you find one that is) or the 5233.

I guess the deciding factor is gonna be - do you need the wifi support or no. And does your budget allow you to spend the little extra:cool2:

+1 !!!!!!!!!

All of you who claim that the camera sux, I am sure you are basing your opinion on the camera specifications.
I agree a 2MP camera without auto focus and flash from the Nokia stables sounds really crippled, but believe me I have captured some still pictures (daylight) and I am amazed by the picture quality this 2MP shooter can take, it is more than enough for casual photographer (98% of the people will not be putting the camera to much use) and for that rare occasion this unit will do the job and come out trumps.
Next up video recording, one word - brilliant ! I am yet to come across anything better than this (I haven't come across the OMNIA HD yet)

Trust me the 5230 will more than do the job and the additional K's will not be a necessity if camera is on your mind

5800 v's 5230
The 5800 has Wi-fi, there are very few wi-fi hot spots in India (unlike the US), so unless you frequent a wi-fi zone, not required !

5800 v/s the 5230
The 5800 still doesn't have the kintec scrolling update, for me that was absolutely essential. Unless you are ready to hack into your new phone force the update you are heading for the bland but simple UI.

5230 v's 5233
How many of us are dependent on a data plan OR use GPS ? 10% of the people, so unless you are sure u need a GPS or need 3G speeds the 5233 is the way to go

After using EDGE on airtel, I must say I am impressed...its fast reliable and stable...more importantly doesn't dent your wallet.

Whenever 3G does go operational by the big guys, the prices are going to be on the higher side

Think about everything and make the choice, don't blindly trust the fancy acronyms

abbY said:
Next up video recording, one word - brilliant ! I am yet to come across anything better than this (I haven't come across the OMNIA HD yet)
A little too far fetched dontcha think?
abbY said:
5800 v/s the 5230
The 5800 still doesn't have the kintec scrolling update, for me that was absolutely essential. Unless you are ready to hack into your new phone force the update you are heading for the bland but simple UI.
Guess you aren't aware of the latest FW update for the 5800 (v40) that introduces kinetic scrolling.

5230 v's 5233
How many of us are dependent on a data plan OR use GPS ? 10% of the people, so unless you are sure u need a GPS or need 3G speeds the 5233 is the way to go
By that logic, how many people need such a long candybar phone? How many people watch videos on their cell phones? How many people feel the need to install native apps on their phone?
Why not go for a Nokia 1100 and be done with it?

Back