Nokia c5-00 bricked during software update

Gauravs90

Disciple
I've brought my nokia c5-00 on 20th jan 2011.

Today I was updating my phone to it's latest version, but the software update failed in mid showing error "connection lost with the device". And from that point phone dosen't starts. When i press the power button i.e the red button used to cut calls, it only vibrates a bit with no light on screen and switches itself off.

I've tried everything to make it work like pressing the call, star and 3 button to hard reset it but it had no effect on it, my phone dosen't even starts for charging.

Then after a failed long effort to restore my phone I decided to take it to the nokia care.

I showed it to the nokia care representative and after examining the phone by pressing the power button she instantly asked me if it's a failed software update by pc. I said yes it's due to failed software update. Then she forwarded it to the technician to repair the phone.

Now comes the shock.....

The technician said that the software update is failed due to a bend in PCB plate and he showed me the PCB. The bend in PCB is something like this

kkdYx.jpg

And here are the images of my phone

pcPJi.jpg

8EXDv.jpg

56FZK.jpg

I want to know how can the PCB plate bend like this if there is not even a scratch on the phone. Nokia care technician had denied warranty due to the bend in the plate. Where lies my fault in this?

I live in meerut and visited two nokia care centers
1- Nokia care, baccha park
Remark- will charge 70% of the original price of the phone and will change the PCB plate.

2- Nokia care, abu lane
Remark- They said the phone can be fixed or cannot be fixed and will charge Rs 1500.

The phone is still under warranty

What should I do now?

Your phone working fine before update (failed) how can PCB get bent during update!? :S

Don't get panic & hurry, visit few local mobile repair guy ask for Quote also ask them what could be the fault is? their replies surely help you to decide who is EXPERT & KNOWLEDGEABLE guy among others & than decide.

2 years back while need Replacement panel for Sony Mobile I call 3 Authorized Sony Service center & they quote me 1200/1500 & 1700 none of them ready to give more than 24 hrs. guarantee than I visit 3 local shop talk to them out of 3 1 guy ready to give me 7 days REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE & I went with him paying Rs.500/- & screen last for 1.5 years :)

Nokia, LG, Sony all these service center guys do this type of mischief to stay in business. Even if the pcb was bent, why should software update die in between? You shouldn't have been able to update it in the first place if as he says the pcb was bent by you. Then without proper contacts between cable and phone you wont be able to update your phone. Why should it stop half way in middle of update? All this points to bug in the update file or in phone.

Send a mail to nokia support regarding this issue and explain them the issue.Also clearly mention how can PCB bend by just doing software update? It could be a manufacturing defect or that technician did something wrong with PCB.

Typical of Nokia,

So their standard reply has changed.Till last year it was water damage for every phone which comes for repair.

Hope their downfall continues and they get out of business soon.

Sent from Galaxy S2

THATS OUTRAGEOUS. I'd have caused a scene in the service centre if they dared tell me that. If the PCB was bent why would it just fall apart during a software update. They're just picking for excuses to NOT repair your phone and all at you're expense. Write/Call any senior person in the Nokia Care and ask them to fix this asap.

Else, if you're confident that the phone died due to a software update. Go to a local repair shop and ask him to restore the software with a Jtag or something. Shouldn't be impossible to do and wouldn't be that expensive.

red dragon said:
Typical of Nokia,

So their standard reply has changed.Till last year it was water damage for every phone which comes for repair.

Hope their downfall continues and they get out of business soon.

you are right avoiding after sales service is best for WHO want them selves out of Business.

Nokia guys always do that, they can say anything (like if your phone bricked while software update, they can replace your phones pcb with some other's because Nokia phones have embedded jtag interface on thr back side"below battery" which can be flashed via JAF, UFS, Tornado box's).

Its bulls**t.

If he was using phone before software,how can his PCB bend?

Where is our in house nokia boss?

He can be of help here.

Back